The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
drewvr51

Question What do I do?

Here is my predicament:

I recently found a 1965 c/10 LB for sale locally. It had a frame off resto done 18 years ago and has sat inside ever since. About a year ago, the guy sold it to someone who agreed to make payments. The guy never followed through with the payments, and by the time the origional owner caught up with him, he had blown the engine. The origional owner took it back and now is trying to sell it as a roller. It is in very nice shape with only a couple of noticible flaws. I want it as a cruiser in the summers which it would be perfect for, and I would probably save it for one of my kids when they get older.

He wants $2,000 for it, and I have a guy at the local shop that will give me a rebuilt 350 and put it in for $1,000.

Should I jump on it?
drewvr51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: What do I do?

Without pics or anything, it might be hard to say but in this perspective, if the body/paint/frame/etc. is in good to very good shape, you won't be able to build one yourself for $2000. I would be a little careful about a rebuilt engine, installed for $1000. Not sure what prices are up here but you typically can't even get a rebuilt engine for $1000, let alone have it installed for that price. My .02 with is if the truck is in really good shape, I would jump on it and figure out the engine part afterwards. Even if you buy a GM crate engine for $2000 and spent another $500 to have it installed, your still looking at less then $5000, which for something in really good shape is still a great price.

Again, without pictures of the body, paint, etc. it's hard to say. Check for rust as that is the biggest downfall to most older cars/trucks. Good luck.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Eliasj123

I agree Mike...

If you can, snap some pics and post them.. This will help people around here give you opinions..

$1,000 might seem a little cheap, but it all depends on the situation.. The shop guy might already have the 350 rebuilt and just wants to get rid of it.

My friend just gave away a 350 to someone at work, for free. I would have taken it, but I don't know how to rebuild engines, yet...

It sounds like a good deal..

My $.10 ( Inflation )

Elias
Eliasj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
drewvr51

The 350 was taken out of a 1979 van and rebuilt. He is selling the motor for $450 and putting it in for $550. This is all minus carb and intake/exhaust manifolds.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
zeitlerusmc
Account Suspended

thats some exspensive labor prices!!!!! being that these trucks are like a skill level 2 model truck!!!!!! everything is straight forward and very easy to work on!! grab a 1/2 9/16 5/8 3/4 sockets and you could dismantle the entire truck!
zeitlerusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Eliasj123

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitlerusmc View Post
thats some exspensive labor prices!!!!! being that these trucks are like a skill level 2 model truck!!!!!! everything is straight forward and very easy to work on!! grab a 1/2 9/16 5/8 3/4 sockets and you could dismantle the entire truck!
Yeah... a steep labor cost....

hmmmmm...

What exactly is the shopy guy going to do?? Everything from begining to end?? You roll the truck in and drive it away?? Is he going to take out your old motor, and swap all the parts?? Is he expecting you to leave him your old motor??

Talk to us Cletus...

Elias
Eliasj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
drewvr51

I am going to bring the empty pickup to him, he has the motor at his shop, and he's going to put it in. I know that he is a little high on it because when I put a new motor in my 72, the guy that sold me the new crate motor put it in for $150. That of course was back in 1997.

I'm pretty serious about the pickup, but I'm having second thoughts about the motor situation.

Keep the feedback coming....
Old 02-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Man i have over 18 trucks from 1964--1972 GM at this moment in time has a crate eng 240 hp 350 4 bolt main long block with valve covers and oil pan out the door dor 1400.00 and its brand new its std bore and none of the parts are used i've bought so far 2 of the engs and they have done really well to me 4 bolt main is over kill but it has over 300 pounds of torq me if i was going to have a truck i was going to had down to my kids i buy a GM goodwrench eng so you know after you put 250,000 miles on the eng you know you can rebuild it again at 30 over and get another 250,000 but with sintetic oils now you can get longer life out of your engs and with these new fuels coming out you may get 500,000 miles

did you know that propain dose not put any wear on the cyclenders no taper where the piston stops leaving a lip i have a 1969 1/2 ton 292 inline 6 that the guy ordered it with factory propain from the dealer we just pull the head off and its like its brand new and the oil never gets dirty with carben and he did not have to change his oil until he got up to 5000 miles and with these new fuels it will be the same
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
Man i have over 18 trucks from 1964--1972 GM at this moment in time has a crate eng 240 hp 350 4 bolt main long block with valve covers and oil pan out the door dor 1400.00 and its brand new its std bore and none of the parts are used i've bought so far 2 of the engs and they have done really well to me 4 bolt main is over kill but it has over 300 pounds of torq me if i was going to have a truck i was going to had down to my kids i buy a GM goodwrench eng so you know after you put 250,000 miles on the eng you know you can rebuild it again at 30 over and get another 250,000 but with sintetic oils now you can get longer life out of your engs and with these new fuels coming out you may get 500,000 miles

did you know that propain dose not put any wear on the cyclenders no taper where the piston stops leaving a lip i have a 1969 1/2 ton 292 inline 6 that the guy ordered it with factory propain from the dealer we just pull the head off and its like its brand new and the oil never gets dirty with carben and he did not have to change his oil until he got up to 5000 miles and with these new fuels it will be the same

Interesting....

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"