The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
superpieboy

engine identification

hi every one! I am new here and have a 1962 chevy ice cream truck, i was at stovebolt web sight and a member here told me about this forum were i would better fit in with the year chevy i have.

I have a problem that i just noticed today! My head on this staright six is leaking water through cracks, actually i think that it may be rusted out from the inside out water is seeping out the side of the head, i am thinking that the engine is a 235 but i dont know for sure...

now there is a 63 chevy truck in a wrecking yard near by that has and engine in it and the head seams to be in better shape than mine, but u cant tell what shape somethings in by looking, what are the chances that the 63 chevy truck in the wrecking yard has a 235 in it? they look pretty much the same.

i need to get this head form the yard if the engine is the same,, how do i tell?

thanks alot for reading

sorry for properally introducing myself.

my name is jeff and live in louisiana, i drive a 67 vw bus daily and just bought this step van ice cream truck....

i am a pastry chef by trade and am 39 yo

after buying a chevy that sat for 30 years i am really being challenged on this whole project but at the same time am determined to get it on the road this summer..

jeff
Attached Images

superpieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
pimperout

Re: engine identification

thats an awsome project i can help u out with the engine ID or anything i know some one here can tho and welcome from alberta canada
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
thekid54

The engine in the '63 is most likely a 230 c.i. IIRC there are 2 families of straight sixes that Chevy/GMC used. The 216, 235, and 261 are all similar in design and alot of the parts will interchange. the other family, the 230, 250, and 292 came around in '63 and later. They are similar in design and alot of part will interchange. Going between the two families, you won't find much compatibility. Heads are different, motor mounts are different, etc, etc.
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
superpieboy

screw it all i after looking closer there is a wet spot on the engine block itself so i guess that i am in the market for an engine now, i was wondering why this 235 never built up water pressure

do you think that i could put the 63 chevy truck inline six into this 62 chevy stepvan that has a 235?

jeff
superpieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

You can go to the newer engine, but the newer six block is smaller. I think www.stoveboltengineco.com sells angine mounts that will work. The newer block was designed with piston spacing identical to a small block v8, pistons from the small block, and valve train from the big block.

If you're going to the newer six, I would recommend either a 250 or a 292. The 250 is a better engine than the 230, and has more power. The 292 is a taller block, and has a lot more power. With this series of engine, avoid the integral head, which has the intake manifold cast in the same piece as the head. Performance with this head is poor. A good book on this engine has been written by Leo Santucci, which is available from www.inliners.org and most on-line bookstores.

You could also look for another 235 or a 261, which will involve less work.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote