The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
chris843

How much would you buy this truck for?

I'm looking at a 1970 truck off Craigslist (VIN CE140B144707).

It's hard to tell in the picture, but the truck restoration is sub-par. There's a lot of flaws in it. I mean a lot.

Anyway, they won't come off $11,250 on the truck. I think it's worth about 8-9k. What do you think?

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5905584207.html
chris843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
LongBox

Re: How much would you buy this truck for?

I think the pictures in the ad are too small, and there are some areas of the truck that are not covered by the pictures. So, it's hard to tell. Best to see it in person anyway.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
leddzepp

I wouldn't give more than 4-5k for a long bed truck that was "restored" in someone's garage.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #4
chris843

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
I think the pictures in the ad are too small, and there are some areas of the truck that are not covered by the pictures. So, it's hard to tell. Best to see it in person anyway.
I'd say from 1-10 for restoration quality, it a 5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Cape Codder

Keep in mind when redoing a poorly done truck you need to refix the original problems as well as the poor repair work. I would rather start with a truck that has had no work than one with poor repair work. At least you can see what you are getting into.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 AM   #6
LongBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Keep in mind when redoing a poorly done truck you need to refix the original problems as well as the poor repair work. I would rather start with a truck that has had no work than one with poor repair work. At least you can see what you are getting into.
Which might explain why survivors sell for high prices.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:18 AM   #7
vics stuff

X2 Longbox. I get stopped all the time in my 72 Chevy Short wide 2WD original paint and no rust anywhere and minimal body dings. Asking if I want to sell it. Could get twice for what I paid for it 10 years ago. Not for sale . A real survivor.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics stuff View Post
X2 Longbox. I get stopped all the time in my 72 Chevy Short wide 2WD original paint and no rust anywhere and minimal body dings. Asking if I want to sell it. Could get twice for what I paid for it 10 years ago. Not for sale . A real survivor.
Vic

Wow, no rust in anchorage? Must be well taken care of.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:35 AM   #9
vics stuff

Actually 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 , My truck was purchased from the original owner who lived in Arkansas. I have had many 68 -72 chevy trucks and when I found this one , I knew it was a keeper. I drive it only in the summer but for maybe 3 months. Have a place down there in Reno and hope to be there by December. You will see this truck running around there.
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
midniteblues

Quote:

I agree 100%
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
chris843

So Hagerty prices the average of a short bed truck w/350 at $9200. NADA prices it at $11,200 and doesn't specifically say anything else. So this one is a long bed, with no A/C or automatic transmission.

So which of these guides or any of those are accurate? I just see prices all over the place. I'm not classic vehicle guru, but the truck definitely looks like it was a restoration job in a persons garage. Which is ok because I'm not looking for a show or collector truck. Just something to drive around on weekends and do light truck stuff with that's semi-dependable (for the right price)

I may have to get it appraised anyway for loan purposes. But it would be nice to know where I stand on price.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
midniteblues

Looks like a good useable truck.
I like the color.
But I don't think it's worth the asking price even though they might have that into it.

I can't give a honest opinion on price unless I see it in person.

If anyone you know knows these trucks takem along to see it.
And go from there.

I would certainly drive it though.

From my post above though I've fixed someone else's fixes and it's NEVER as easy as starting with what is really there.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
chris843

Well the guy bought it off his brother who got in financial trouble and he doesn't want it or really want to keep the truck, but is willing to keep it if he thinks he's going to lose money on it.

I don't know anybody who is a expert on these trucks to tag along with me when looking at it. Unless I hire an appraiser to go out and look at it for 300-400 bucks. The bank requires that, but it comes down to a matter of who's going to pay for it. Being we're several thousands of dollars apart, than I'm not sure who is on the winning side here.

Really I just am asking what the range is on this truck of average condition.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
darrellyates

Putting a value on a vehicle often becomes an emotional endeavor. Buyers get optimistic regarding ownership, and sellers are often emotionally attached or influenced by what they see on TV.

I like to try to inject objectivity into the negotiation with a 3rd party. According to the Old Cars Report Price Guide, an original 1970 Chevrolet C10 long bed truck is worth between $2460 and $20,500 based on condition. Now, a number 1 truck is the $20,500 and that means fresh restoration to current industry standards. That would mean everything perfect and original. Most show winners are actually number 2 vehicles ($14,350). Most cruise in cars and winners at local events are number 3 vehicles, ($9230) and a good older restoration/original parts, driver, that sort of vehicle is $4100.

Sounds like you are actually between a number 4 and number 3, based on the fact the under hood isn't fresh, there is lineX in the bed, and based on your statements there is a LOT wrong with the truck.

It may simply be that you and the seller can't get together. You can't help it if he paid more for it than what it is worth. Keep looking. There are a lot of these trucks out there. If you find one you really want, it's OK to pay a little more than it is worth. However, if you're trying to place a value on one, find reference materials and use those in your negotiation.

I have found that if you can actually agree on condition, usually you can price the vehicle accordingly.

Just my thoughts, and they are worth what you paid for them...
Thanks,
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #15
chris843

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
Putting a value on a vehicle often becomes an emotional endeavor. Buyers get optimistic regarding ownership, and sellers are often emotionally attached or influenced by what they see on TV.

I like to try to inject objectivity into the negotiation with a 3rd party. According to the Old Cars Report Price Guide, an original 1970 Chevrolet C10 long bed truck is worth between $2460 and $20,500 based on condition. Now, a number 1 truck is the $20,500 and that means fresh restoration to current industry standards. That would mean everything perfect and original. Most show winners are actually number 2 vehicles ($14,350). Most cruise in cars and winners at local events are number 3 vehicles, ($9230) and a good older restoration/original parts, driver, that sort of vehicle is $4100.

Sounds like you are actually between a number 4 and number 3, based on the fact the under hood isn't fresh, there is lineX in the bed, and based on your statements there is a LOT wrong with the truck.

It may simply be that you and the seller can't get together. You can't help it if he paid more for it than what it is worth. Keep looking. There are a lot of these trucks out there. If you find one you really want, it's OK to pay a little more than it is worth. However, if you're trying to place a value on one, find reference materials and use those in your negotiation.

I have found that if you can actually agree on condition, usually you can price the vehicle accordingly.

Thanks,
I totally concur with you, this truck is between a 3 and 4. I think that's the major issue we are disagreeing on is condition. The body is in so-so shape. Overall it looks straight, but there's a lot of nicks and bangs on it and some visible bondo spots. Underside looks ok from rust from what I could tell, but it was no frame off project. The motor is original, but no paperwork on if it was ever overhauled. There's missing parts inside the truck. My instinct is telling me this is about an 8k truck. But then again you take that with a grain of salt because I have never bought anything this old.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris843 View Post
I totally concur with you, this truck is between a 3 and 4. I think that's the major issue we are disagreeing on is condition. The body is in so-so shape. Overall it looks straight, but there's a lot of nicks and bangs on it and some visible bondo spots. Underside looks ok from rust from what I could tell, but it was no frame off project. The motor is original, but no paperwork on if it was ever overhauled. There's missing parts inside the truck. My instinct is telling me this is about an 8k truck. But then again you take that with a grain of salt because I have never bought anything this old.
I would have actually said between $4000 and $6000... With nicks, missing pieces, you are closer to a number 4 than 3. Get an old cars price report, there is always a condition guide in it. Your truck actually sounds very close to a number 4 vehicle. Value at $4100, and then you'll deduct for manual shift and so on. Good luck!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #17
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I wouldn't give more than 4-5k for a long bed truck that was "restored" in someone's garage.
agreed.

the asking price of that truck is the result of a seller watching Barrett-Jackson non-stop for a few days.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics stuff View Post
Actually 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 , My truck was purchased from the original owner who lived in Arkansas. I have had many 68 -72 chevy trucks and when I found this one , I knew it was a keeper. I drive it only in the summer but for maybe 3 months. Have a place down there in Reno and hope to be there by December. You will see this truck running around there.
I was born in Reno, migrated all the way to CC. Know the Nixon house? Before my dad lost the place in the 60s, we lived across the street at the NE corner. Ha, lost 7 lots and a house in Incline too. Imagine that today. My father was quite a musician and showman. Doesn't mean he was good with $.

You moving back to Reno or do you migrate "at will"? Let's see your truck?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 01-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #19
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
agreed.

the asking price of that truck is the result of a seller watching Barrett-Jackson non-stop for a few days.
X3, Zep nailed it even before further description. I'd rule it out OP.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Hey, I "restored" my longhorn in my garage! I bet a lot of us have done restorations in our garage that are worth more than 4-5K... no idea about this truck in particular though. Who knows what got painted over!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #21
chris843

I'm no pro appraiser or classic guru, but I think his description "fully restored" didn't come to mind after seeing the truck in person. Maybe my expectations were too high.

The best way I could describe the quality of this truck was if it was in a car show in my old hometown of 8000 people, than maybe it would have placed. But any semi-organized car show in a big city, they would have shunned it. That's ok, I don't care if it's that quality because I want to use it for light truck stuff around town. I just want to make sure I'm not overpaying for it. So it sounds like to me the consensus is that it's definitely not in the 5 digit range for price.

-PS...love the Barrett-Jackson joke.

Last edited by chris843; 01-19-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
LongBox

Your situation is not one I'd want to be in. Basically, from all the comments I've read here, the seller, for whatever reason, is not realistic. Usually, only time will correct this situation, and every once in a while, some poorly informed, or overly emotional buyer comes along, and pays way too much.

You might have to keep looking to find a good truck at a fair price. But these old 67-72s are worth the looking and the waiting.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #23
Cape Codder

I think people look at what the asking price is for these trucks at the online auctions and shoot for the sky. I know the trucks listed in the auction sites seem to be listed over and over so what the asking price is may not reflect what they actually sell for. These trucks have gone up so much in the past 5 to 10 years that it is hard to find a good one at a fair price. But if you do find a good one it is worth paying a fair price rather than buying a poor one cheap. The trouble is establishing a price fair to buyer and seller. Prices vary depending on where you are, a rust free truck in New England is worth more than one in the So. west. People buy trucks here that have had restorations and look really good but could go down hill quick if not properly done.
After looking at the add he listed I would say if the truck was not a rust bucket to start with it is probably worth what he is asking. I would give it a good inspection meaning get it up on a lift and look it over,ckeck ball joints and pull wheels to look for leaky seals and brake wear. If it is tip top mechanically I think is priced fair not cheap. It is a nice looking driver that if kept in that condition will hold it's value. For us to judge condition without crawling all around under the truck is just wrong. What would it be worth if it was restored to all original showroom condition?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #24
chris843

Quote:
I think people look at what the asking price is for these trucks at the online auctions and shoot for the sky. I know the trucks listed in the auction sites seem to be listed over and over so what the asking price is may not reflect what they actually sell for. These trucks have gone up so much in the past 5 to 10 years that it is hard to find a good one at a fair price. But if you do find a good one it is worth paying a fair price rather than buying a poor one cheap. The trouble is establishing a price fair to buyer and seller. Prices vary depending on where you are, a rust free truck in New England is worth more than one in the So. west. People buy trucks here that have had restorations and look really good but could go down hill quick if not properly done.
After looking at the add he listed I would say if the truck was not a rust bucket to start with it is probably worth what he is asking. I would give it a good inspection meaning get it up on a lift and look it over,ckeck ball joints and pull wheels to look for leaky seals and brake wear. If it is tip top mechanically I think is priced fair not cheap. It is a nice looking driver that if kept in that condition will hold it's value. For us to judge condition without crawling all around under the truck is just wrong. What would it be worth if it was restored to all original showroom condition?
I'm the only one who can describe the condition of the truck as I have looked at it. Hopefully I have described it the best I can while giving you people who have maybe bought and sold these reasonable opinion to give me.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #25
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post

Thanks,
Line-X really brings value down?
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote