The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
1tuff71

wrinkle problem

Ok so the PO painted the truck black ( swore I'd never own another black truck ) and I boggered up the tailgate working off of it and went to " touch it up " with some rattle can Rust-Oleum. I did a test spot and it wrinkled so tried a couple other types and it did the same thing. Can anyone tell me what type paint is on my truck that would do this and what type is safe to use without the wrinkling ??????? BTW I used to live in Calif and where the truck was bought and I think they have rules there as to what type of paint you can use.
1tuff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
imjeff

Re: wrinkle problem

Any pictures of the "wrinkling"?
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Tinkermc

If you are spraying a laqure type paint and the old paint is enamel you could have what you describe.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
hugger6933

Normally the cure to a wrinkle in the finish [or frying as it is sometimes called in the body shops]is 80 grit sandpaper. Strip it down with 80 then go back and sand then with 180 or 220 grit then clean it real well then spray 2 to 3 coats of epoxy primer then spray 2 to 3 coats of high build primer. Barring any filler work that needed to be done you should be ready for a finish color. About 75% of the time or greater if you sand off the wrinkle and try to spray some thing on it it may lay down ok for a short while with the primer but then when the paint coat hits it it will go ape poop crazy and fry all over again. I know it may sound frustrating and difficult but this is sometimes some work that is not fun and it needs some effort to get decent results. Good luck and happy sanding. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote