The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
MattPSU

Get Together Ideas

Just wanted to let everyone know about the get together we had today and hopefully offer some help to those of you looking to have a similar event in your area.

Last fall, several of us (members ANDY4639, bluex, Longhorn321, 67ChevyRedneck, and Brian H) started getting lunch together about once a month. It gave us a chance to check out each other's trucks, help each other with problems, and make some new, local friends. We used the regional section of this board to draw in some other locals which helped our group grow to about 12 of us which was a great start.

At some point it was suggested that we post an add on Craigslist. The idea being that we could grow our group and hopefully add a few more local members to the message board that helped us get our start.

We ran the add before our Get Together in January, February and again in March. Today was our March meeting, and as you'll see from the pictures, we had an unreal turnout. About 50 people and 35 trucks that ranged from 1950 through today showed up to show off their trucks and have lunch at the local Quaker Steak and Lube.

I know it's tiny compared to what the C10King does every year, but it was great to have the turn out that we had. I know that there are members all over who would like to do something similar, and I wanted to share our success and offer our assistance in helping others have similar get together's in their own backyards.

Below is the copy from our Craigslist add which we posted in cars/trucks for sale and parts for sale. If you have any questions/suggestions/etc. please post below.

Add Copy:

Upstate GM Truck Club - March Get Together (Quaker Steak & Lube)

The Upstate GM Truck Club is in search of new members. We meet about once a month to share our passion for Chevy and GMC trucks of all eras. Sometimes we meet for lunch, sometimes to check out a car show, sometimes we cruise, and sometimes we get together to work on our trucks. We're an informal group - no dues, no rules, etc. Just a group of people who like old trucks. No truck required, just have similar interests.

Our March get together is scheduled for lunch on Saturday, March 15th at noon at Quaker Steak and Lube in Greenville. Reply to message to RSVP.

Most of us are board members on http://67-72chevytrucks.com/ which is a FREE message board style website dedicated to Chevy & GMC trucks. We encourage you to check out the website, especially the regional section.

Chevrolet, Chevy, GMC, GM Truck, C10, C20, C30, Sierra, Cheyenne, S10, S15, Sonoma, Silverado
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
MattPSU

Re: Get Together Ideas

More pictures.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
MattPSU

Two more.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Get Together Ideas

I was looking for the like button Matt! Lol....

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I was looking for the like button Matt! Lol....

Andy, look at the menu bar above Matt's first post. One of the choices is "Rate Thread". Click on that and give him some STARS!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Get Together Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Andy, look at the menu bar above Matt's first post. One of the choices is "Rate Thread". Click on that and give him some STARS!

LockDoc
Thanks I have never even seen that before.
Had a great turnout for a great lunch meeting.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
kcsa75

Good information. Looks like you guys had a great turnout and made some new friends.

Not sure about a place called Steak and Lube, though.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
Good information. Looks like you guys had a great turnout and made some new friends.

Not sure about a place called Steak and Lube, though.
Your correct it is, I never will look at that place the same. Thanks mental picture is just not right now!

Matt!!!
We need the Twin Peaks meeting now!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
67ctener

Very cool
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
RexDodge

Great idea! Not so sure about the site selection though, rofl...
We will use this out here in the great Northwest!
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
MattPSU

For those who don't know what Quaker Steak and Lube is, it's an automotive themed restaurant know for their wings. The original location, located in Sharron, PA, was converted from a former gas station. The lift is still in the restaurant, with a '36 Chevy on it. "The Lube" was so popular that they started opening franchises along the east coast. Here's the history from their website, http://thelube.com/:

It was 1974 when our country had its first gas crisis. The price of gasoline was skyrocketing, gas stations were closing nationwide, and carmakers began exploring how to develop cars that got better mileage.

But for George “Jig” Warren III and Gary “Moe” Meszaros, it wasn’t about better mileage or for that matter even obeying the new 55 M.P.H speed limit. It was about finding a home to preserve the culture of those old gas stations and high-powered muscle cars.

So was born Quaker Steak & Lube®, a “Cook Your Own Steak” restaurant that gave old muscle cars a permanent home, which included a 1936 Chevrolet, frozen in time on the original hydraulic grease rack.

It is from these beginnings that the Quaker Steak & Lube® family of restaurants began. Today, “The Lube®” serves over 80 million wings annually, has bottled sauces for retail sale, has won the title of “Best Wings USA,” and has hundreds of local, national, and international awards for their sauce recipes. Over 60 locations throughout the United States and Canada, “The Lube®” is still rescuing muscle cars, vintage cars, trucks and a vast selection of custom and antique motorcycles, giving them good homes hanging from the walls and ceilings in each restaurant.

To be honest, it's hard to find a more appropriate place for a lunch get together for a group of car/truck/bike enthusiasts!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
davischevy

Thanks for the CL tip. I've tried for years to find ways to promote our get togethers. Looks like you had a great event.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Matt it didn't make it 3 days!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Matt it didn't make it 3 days!
It was moved in less than 48 hours.

Maybe a mod can tell us why this was moved from the main section to the events coverage section. The main point of this post was to share how we were able to have a successful get together and to hopefully have others share what's worked for them.

Personally, I liked seeing the posts about get together's in the main section. The posts that the guys in Utah and Florida made in the last 6 months really helped to spark our get together, and we were proud of what we accomplished and wanted to share.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
1963c-10

Looks like it was a good turn out and a lot of fun!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: Get Together Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
It was moved in less than 48 hours.

Maybe a mod can tell us why this was moved from the main section to the events coverage section. The main point of this post was to share how we were able to have a successful get together and to hopefully have others share what's worked for them.

Personally, I liked seeing the posts about get together's in the main section. The posts that the guys in Utah and Florida made in the last 6 months really helped to spark our get together, and we were proud of what we accomplished and wanted to share.
I agree but the mods never do. If it's not a west coast thing they move it as soon as one of them see it. There are several post on the main page that have been there for months that haven't been moved.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Get Together Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Looks like it was a good turn out and a lot of fun!!!
Yes we did. It was. Hope next month meeting is even bigger!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
bigyellow

I'll be there for the April meeting
Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyellow View Post
I'll be there for the April meeting
Looking forward to meeting you Saturday! - Matt

Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #20
mccurrkm

Another pretty good turnout for April. This has been a lot of fun so far, can't wait to have many more meets.