The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
brianb41

first time restorer need help

My inexperience is going to show here....iv just started my restoration project on 72 k10 swb i knew i needed rocker panels and to patch cab corners so i orderd inner and outer rockers and both cab corners after removing bed i started pulling seat and floor cover and i found more rust i didnt expect there are holes in both floor pans which is easy enough since its all exposed but my problem is where the rockers marry to the floor where door weather strip is toward inside cab will have to be repaired on both sides of the cab my question is what would you call that section im trying to figure out if i can buy just those strips seperate or do i have to buy the complete piece and cut it apart i see several panels available for the cab floor but dont reconise if one of them are what i need i have LMC and RayBuck books does anyone know if those panels are available and what the correct name or part number is or a proper fix? Any help is greatly appreciated if i can avoid buying a 400 doller floor with 124 doller shipping fee for the couple strips i need it would help alot thanks
brianb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: first time restorer need help

Check with Classic Heartbeat Truck Parts. They are in Olympia, WA, not super close to you but closer than LMC. In addition the owner, Wes, restores these trucks. He can answer all of your questions and get you the right parts coming. I bet it would safe a fair amount on shipping too.

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/
Old 04-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
brianb41

Thanks ill look him up it was sure disappointing when i realized how much more rust damage there is then i thought i was already overwhelmed a little with the rust repairs i have to make and now i definately am in need of some advice
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
JJH Jimmy

I think these are what you are looking for. Most vendors sell them.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=RFPS750
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
brianb41

Yep thats exactly what i need i went online and checked the site out and then called to be sure and found them very helpful and as a bonus they have a good sale going on so i am going to make a decent sized order so i can get this part of project done and behind me and get into more familer ground thanks for taking the time to reply and link to brotherstrucks it was very helpful and now i relize i got all frustrated and felt overwhelmed for no good reason but im learning and am fully committed to the project this is a great site full of information and experience im sure ill be needing it throughout my build iv got alot of pics sofar i should try to post them and my progress it would be cool for me to look back at when finished and who knows maybe help out anouther newbe some time
Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb41 View Post
Yep thats exactly what i need i went online and checked the site out and then called to be sure and found them very helpful and as a bonus they have a good sale going on so i am going to make a decent sized order so i can get this part of project done and behind me and get into more familer ground thanks for taking the time to reply and link to brotherstrucks it was very helpful and now i relize i got all frustrated and felt overwhelmed for no good reason but im learning and am fully committed to the project this is a great site full of information and experience im sure ill be needing it throughout my build iv got alot of pics sofar i should try to post them and my progress it would be cool for me to look back at when finished and who knows maybe help out anouther newbe some time
No problem! A couple of years ago i was in the same boat as you and the great members here helped me out.

You should start a build thread of your project!
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
brianb41

I just tried to upload some photos and they exceed file size limit so ill take new pics after work and try again its good to know their is help and support out there for thise of us who want to do a major project like this and professional quality is a must
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
LF_MN_71GMC

Doing rockers is really no big deal, I was extremely worried when I first started the cutting process but it was really not bad at all. Gotta take the doors off no matter what though. My best piece of advice was that you should take pictures of where the door sits relative to the fender and the cab for alignment purposes. Great move, otherwise I'd have been chasing it for days. Also, use primer to mark the position of the hinges before you remove them.

Build link
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=647172
LF_MN_71GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
brianb41

Good advice i didnt think of marking the hinges and im pretty nervous too since i have to do the outer floor pans on both sides and the cab corners that dont really leave much to line everything up do you have any advice on how to approach the whole project im assuming i should start with cab corners then the outer floor panels and floor pans and last would have to be the rockers? Would i do the cab corners without cutting out the other pieces for lineing them up or does it all need to come out at once? The cab corners have got me worried to as far as how to mark them for the cut and getting them perfectly lined up i dont want to mess up on the horizontal cut because then ill be in trouble....