The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Neatbeard

Help please - 66 C10, Inline 6, manual 3 on tree - Starting issues

Hi guys i'm sorry if this has been covered before, i've searched various threads but to no luck so far.

Engine: 250 Hi Torque fitted with HEI

Transmission: 3 speed manual

New starter and solenoid fitted

Back story - My '66 had a tempremental starting issue, sometimes it was fine and fired up great, other times the starter would seem to slow down or bind. I used to tap the solenoid with a pin hammer and it used to then fire up fine. I lived it with it like this for a while (too busy with work and life things) but the other day it just wouldn't start at all. A friend had a brand new starter n solenoid combo that he traded me, I fitted it and it worked great, started up with no issues at all.

I went to a car show last weekend and it started up twice fine, ran it for about 30 mins down the road to meet friends. Stopped and turned it off for 10/15 mins, went to start and nothing. I got dash lights on but nothing from the starter/solenoid not even the solenoid clicking. Got a short tow to bump it and it fired fine. Drove another 30 mins and parked at show. Went to come home and it didn't want to start first time, turned key again and it fired second time. Stopped at a friends for an hour or so on way home. Got in to come home and it started second turn of key again. I was thinking it was a heat sink issue but it's is an inline 6 with the starter on the opposite side to the headers.

Anyway ive ruled out heat sink as I got in last night when it was cold and same thing, dash lights on and then nothing not even the solenoid click.

I'm rubbish when it comes to electrics but i've been reading on other threads about what it could be and have seen horn relay mentioned.... My aftermarket steering wheel did work loose on the way to the car show and made my horn go off until I pulled the connections off the horn push and the relay - could this be a good place to start?

Im thinking the following could be dodgy:

Starter switch
Wiring from switch to starter relay
Wiring from relay to starter

Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to give as much info as possible to help get this diagnosed as its doing my head and I want to use the truck and have fun it again and not worry about if its going to start.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tattooed pinstriper and graphic designer with an awesome award winning beard! Check me out at http://www.vontash.co.uk
Neatbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Mike Wessinger

Re: Help please - 66 C10, Inline 6, manual 3 on tree - Starting issues

While I have had my old truck for years (65 C10 with 230), I have only recently began getting serious about learning to do the mechanical bits myself. With that little disclaimer, I can offer that I was having a similar "not starting" issue recently. I thought it may have been the battery, so I stopped by my mechanic's shop for a new one. I stopped at a gas station a few miles down the road, and even with a new battery it took a few tries to get it to start.

My "fix" was to replace both battery cables with brand new, heavier battery cables. I also used an existing empty threaded bolt hole near the dipstick tube to add a ground strap from the block to the frame. That has been almost two months ago and I have not had a single repeat of the "not" starting issue.

May or may not be what your truck needs, but just throwing it out there as a possibility
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Pappyx3!

Neatbeard,
Sounds like you need to do some volt drops to isolate your problem(s) before replacing parts that may not be needed. Doing volt drops is not hard, does not require a bunch expensive equipment but should help you to isolate the problem. Looking for a good youtube video or simple instructions, if I find something I will post for you.
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Try this.

.....http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mc...tage+drop+test

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Neatbeard

Tried to start the truck tonight and it fired up first time no issues at all, left it running for 20 mins, turned it off, checked voltages etc and then turned the key again and it started straight back up.........?

The only thing I have changed is i've disconnected the horn from the steering wheel and at the relay under the bonnet and tightened the loose steering wheel. I have read that the horn relay can affect starting on these trucks though.....?

It's bloody weird I think I shall christen my truck Christine.

The volatges WITHOUT it running were:
12.5V at battery terminals
12.5V at starter solenoid
12.3V with the lights on

Votages with it RUNNING:
13.5V at battery terminals
13.6V at starter solenoid
13.1V with lights on

Tattooed pinstriper and graphic designer with an awesome award winning beard! Check me out at http://www.vontash.co.uk
Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Neatbeard

Been outside doing other stuff to the truck and thought id try to start it up before coming in and first turn of the key........... it fire up great!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Pappyx3!

From your readings looks like the alternator is charging, but in order to find out why it doesn't want to start you need to do the volt drops.

VetteVet gave you some links to explain the volt drop procedure. If your having problems pm me I would be glad to help you walk through it. You need to have a second person to work the ignition switch a digital voltmeter and a few minutes to work on it.

Pappyx3!
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote