The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #26
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: just bought a 08 crewcab 2wd and i'm dropping it. any sugestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvy2NV View Post
Mcg's site is a bit confusing with all the different options. What's the PN to the new rear shocks.
I was looking at McG's site.. PN #34060 or #34070... The latter is less money and includes front and rear shocks....

These are the notes for #34060 that uses factory shocks...
Notes: 3/5 Drop Uses Factory Shocks, 4/6 Drop Requires Rear Shocks Part# 2050 or 3205 on Crew Cab Trucks, Fits All Cab Sizes, Fits 2wd & 4wd Trucks, 4/6 Not Recommended On 4wd Trucks Due To CV Axles Binding

Also, what about new front shocks? I have 127K+ miles on what I think are the original shocks. I found a M0nroe 39105 front shock as a replacement.... Any input on quality?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 12-19-2013 at 03:34 AM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #27
92sierraslx

maxh how is the djm any issues im shopping around and its my cheapest option right now so trying to research it out before pulling trigger in february truck is a 2010 silverado crew 2wd 5.3
92sierraslx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #28
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I put McGaughy's 5/7 kit on my 2011 and I have over 130,000 miles on it. I will tell you that I upgraded the shocks to Belltech sport suspension shocks (front and rear) and added the Belltech degree plates on the front to get the alignment right.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #29
keithaherndon@gmail.

What size tires do you have and do they scrub
keithaherndon@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #30
keithaherndon@gmail.

I have a 2011 and bought a 4 7 belltech kit.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #31
keithaherndon@gmail.

Sorry 5 7
Old 12-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #32
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithaherndon@gmail. View Post
What size tires do you have and do they scrub
I downsized from the factory tires 255/75/20s to Nitto 265/50/20s. That gave me a little more room under the fenders. Yes, the tires are real close to the top of the front fenderwells, so I cut out a 4" X 8" opening in the plastic fenderwell and riveted it up to the metal fender liner above it, that gained me another 1" to 1.5 inches of space. I then sealed all that with undercoating. I have over 140,000 miles on the drop and have not had to replace any of the fender liners and I do not drive carefully, so I do get some scuffing when I hit larger bumps. I also put on a set of Bell Tech degree cams to straighten up the front wheels, so that they do not run on the outer edges.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #33
brassknuckles

I recently lowered my 2011 GMC RCSWB 6/5 using Belltech flip, spindles, coils, shocks, and camber adjusters....... I drive 800 miles to work. 2 weeks in, two out, on Northern Ontario roads, and it's a challenge with the stock 20's. The truck rides fine, but the front tires rub ALOT, even after cutting up the plastic inner fenders and massaging the steel wheel wells. I cannot say anything bad about the Belltech kit, lots of height options, but if you go as low as I did (max), you need the camber kit, and need to do as I did, make changes in the wheelhouse, and/or change the front tire size..... I'm going to go another inch lower in the back, but I'm going to pipe notch the frame first, and add helper bags so I can still tow 5000#, and make it over speed bumps.
Attached Images

brassknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #34
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassknuckles View Post
I recently lowered my 2011 GMC RCSWB 6/5 using Belltech flip, spindles, coils, shocks, and camber adjusters....... I drive 800 miles to work. 2 weeks in, two out, on Northern Ontario roads, and it's a challenge with the stock 20's. The truck rides fine, but the front tires rub ALOT, even after cutting up the plastic inner fenders and massaging the steel wheel wells. I cannot say anything bad about the Belltech kit, lots of height options, but if you go as low as I did (max), you need the camber kit, and need to do as I did, make changes in the wheelhouse, and/or change the front tire size..... I'm going to go another inch lower in the back, but I'm going to pipe notch the frame first, and add helper bags so I can still tow 5000#, and make it over speed bumps.
My truck is a 2011 GMC and I have it dropped using a McGaughy's 5/7 drop. I did have some issue with rubbing in the front and under heavy use it will still rub on the plastic liner. I have driven this truck over a 140,000 miles after the drop. I did downsize the tires to 265/50/20s and that gave me more room under the front fenders. I upgraded my struts and shocks to Belltech units for better dampening and used Belltech degree camber adjusters. In the winter months, I run stock factory steel rims, that have tires on them that are the same height as the 265/50/20s. I did change the liners, by cutting the top open and massaged them to fit up against the steel liners behind them, I also have a set of air load helper bags for the rear springs, so if I want to haul some weight, I have a way to balance the load. The majority of my driving is on Kansa highways and back roads. They are not oil field roads by any means, but are not the smoothest in the world.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #35
brassknuckles

5" drop in the front is a good compromise if you want to keep the factory air dam... it will eventually be ground down to the perfect height for everyday use
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #36
brassknuckles

Piecesparts, you've built a beautiful truck, and it's sure to inspire others to build static dropped PU's along those same lines.... I too used the Belltech struts, fiddled with spacers until I had the rake I wanted..... the camber adjusters were an absolute necessity, as the truck wouldn't align properly without them, even with offset upper CA bushings. Pictured are some of the mods necessary to make the stock tires "somewhat" fit, once lowered. As you can see, most of the plastic liner was cut away from the back of the wheel well up towards the top..... The "brown" areas on the steel are where I heated and relieved the steel, and no longer rubs there..... the shiny spots are new contact areas, now that the old ones are gone. I just kept driving, hammering the high spots, repainting and driving until things got shiny again, repeat..... I'm at the limits for the stock wells now, as any more I would have to move the sh*t that is bolted to the tops of the wheel wells. Next up is a possible move to a narrower/shorter front tire, and some sheetmetal work, if that isn't enough!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #37
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Piecesparts, you've built a beautiful truck, and it's sure to inspire others to build static dropped PU's along those same lines.... I too used the Belltech struts, fiddled with spacers until I had the rake I wanted..... the camber adjusters were an absolute necessity, as the truck wouldn't align properly without them, even with offset upper CA bushings. Pictured are some of the mods necessary to make the stock tires "somewhat" fit, once lowered. As you can see, most of the plastic liner was cut away from the back of the wheel well up towards the top..... The "brown" areas on the steel are where I heated and relieved the steel, and no longer rubs there..... the shiny spots are new contact areas, now that the old ones are gone. I just kept driving, hammering the high spots, repainting and driving until things got shiny again, repeat..... I'm at the limits for the stock wells now, as any more I would have to move the sh*t that is bolted to the tops of the wheel wells. Next up is a possible move to a narrower/shorter front tire, and some sheetmetal work, if that isn't enough!
So, I take it, that you are still using the taller tires.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #38
brassknuckles

Still using the tires that came on the truck new, 255/75r/20's IIRC, still under 20,000 miles on them....Truck has 30,000 miles, tires were switched out for snows by PO every winter...... the truck won't be seeing anymore snow and salt, as long as I own it. Ontario winters are brutal on equipment!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #39
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Still using the tires that came on the truck new, 255/75r/20's IIRC, still under 20,000 miles on them....Truck has 30,000 miles, tires were switched out for snows by PO every winter...... the truck won't be seeing anymore snow and salt, as long as I own it. Ontario winters are brutal on equipment!
You are running a 35" diameter tire, that is what is killing your fender liners. I dropped down to a 265/50/20 tire for summer and a 245/70/17 tire for winter. Both of these tires are 30" in diameter. That would give you another 2.5" spacing between the tire and the fender.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #40
brassknuckles

Yep. Truck is put away for the winter, I will do the research to find a tire approx 2" shorter and 3/8 to 1/2 inch narrower for the front, before she hits the road again.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #41
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Yep. Truck is put away for the winter, I will do the research to find a tire approx 2" shorter and 3/8 to 1/2 inch narrower for the front, before she hits the road again.
I would not worry about narrower as much as the shorter. I was turned onto the NITTO NT850 Plus series tires and they are great. These tires will get a good 50,000 miles on them without any issue and are great on the highway.

http://www.nt850plus.com/
Old 03-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #42
brassknuckles

Unhappy Re: just bought a 08 crewcab 2wd and i'm dropping it. any sugestions?

Well, I just installed 275/45/20's on the front to replace the stock 275/55/20's. What a difference it makes in driving the truck! No more scraping the inners on bumps, and turning radius is much improved.... as a bonus, the truck gained a l'il more rake. I'm very happy with the results. Only downside is the cost of 20" Goodyear Eagles.... not cheap
Old 03-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #43
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I tried the smaller diameter tire in the front and my braking system disliked the different sizes, so I had issues with it not functioning right. My well liners are plastic, so I could modify them without cutting any metal.

For tires, I am running Nitto NT850 tires and the quality is very good.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #44
brassknuckles

Thanks Frank, I haven't driven the truck enough to detect any braking problems.... I bought the front tires to match what I was running on the back: Goodyear LS-1 Eagles. It'll be another month before I can drive the truck under good road conditions here in northern Ontario..... I'll let you know how it works out for me. I'd like a full set of Nitto's, but the budget is a l'il tight these days. I'm hoping what I've done makes for a decent DD, once the roads are dry, and salt free again. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #45
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Thanks Frank, I haven't driven the truck enough to detect any braking problems.... I bought the front tires to match what I was running on the back: Goodyear LS-1 Eagles. It'll be another month before I can drive the truck under good road conditions here in northern Ontario..... I'll let you know how it works out for me. I'd like a full set of Nitto's, but the budget is a l'il tight these days. I'm hoping what I've done makes for a decent DD, once the roads are dry, and salt free again. Thanks again for your help.
I realized the problem within two blocks of the tire shop. The braking acted totally out of norm and the truck did not drive well. That is why we went with the 265/50/20 tires and it seems to work. I do get some scraping on the front inner fender wells, but I have to be rolling hard and hit a bump on the highway. I am not too concerned, I just turned over 149,000 a couple days ago.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #46
brassknuckles

Hey Frank, I've been away, didn't see your reply until now. The truck drives, brakes very well with the shorter front tires, and I love the stance...... you are correct though, the truck itself doesn't like the difference in aspect ratio between front and back....... I can drive around town OK, but as soon as I'm up to highway speed and apply the brakes, my Traction control and Stabilitrack warning lights come on, and stay on. I'll be looking into possible solutions to this, but for now it rides well, and looks killer! I'll keep you posted.....