The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
70cst

Loosy Goosy Stearing above 50 mph - Solution

Had a nice conversation with Wes of Classic Heartbeat today.

My truck has never driven right since my truck restored. When I get her up to 50-55 mph - It just seemed to drive squirrely - I do have my truck lowered 5" and I do have the Red Head Remanufactured Power Steering Gear -2X4 Quick Ratio steering gear.

Wes explained if the rear isn't centered and if you don't have a Super Track Bar Kit with my truck lowered as such - the issue one can have is as explained above -- so ... once Don Boeke (The Egyptian Body Shop) gets to the Circuit Rider" into the body shop - I am going to have him look onto this.

And now I know.

Thanks Wes

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 05-09-2016 at 09:15 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Loosy Goosy Stearing

They say the Super Track Bar comes into play at 6" drop and the adjustable bar does the truck for centering up to 5". I guess it wouldn't hurt to use the Super on less. Are your shocks relocated? Sorry to hear your truck isn't even into the shop yet.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

What you need to do is look at the pan hard bar. If it is level it will create a loose feeling even if the rear end is centered. If the rear end is not centered the truck will also display some of the same symptoms. Pan hard bars are supposed to be installed as close to a 15 degree angle as possible to keep it from acting like a pendulum. I have no doubt that DeWayne's isn't even close to that with a 5" drop. Either way I have a sneaking hunch after talking to DeWayne a super pan hard bar is in the future. As we all know that lowering statically is not an exact science with trucks over 40 years old. The jury is out until DeWayne can get eyes on the adjustable he has installed now. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
They say the Super Track Bar comes into play at 6" drop and the adjustable bar does the truck for centering up to 5". I guess it wouldn't hurt to use the Super on less. Are your shocks relocated? Sorry to hear your truck isn't even into the shop yet.
Hopefully the truck will be in the shop in a couple weeks but - its a blessing in as we are remodeling our house and the garage is not usable. So this is good timing by accident ...

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
What you need to do is look at the pan hard bar. If it is level it will create a loose feeling even if the rear end is centered. If the rear end is not centered the truck will also display some of the same symptoms. Pan hard bars are supposed to be installed as close to a 15 degree angle as possible to keep it from acting like a pendulum. I have no doubt that DeWayne's isn't even close to that with a 5" drop. Either way I have a sneaking hunch after talking to DeWayne a super pan hard bar is in the future. As we all know that lowering statically is not an exact science with trucks over 40 years old. The jury is out until DeWayne can get eyes on the adjustable he has installed now. WES
I spoke with Don at the Egyptian Body Shop and he knew exactly what Wes was talking about ... So I am sure this issue will be addressed and resolved.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
70cst

What's interesting in my conversation with Wes was... there are many of drivers who have this issue so I am glad it just isn't me.