The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 AM   #1
72k20Farmtruck

ECM Tuning

I usually hang out in the 67-72 page and the 73-87. Just wondering if anyone here has tuned an OBD2 ECM with their computers, editing maps and such. Kinda new to the whole thing and am pretty tech savvy so not afraid of anything. Just wondering if anyone has used TOAD before and what tips people have out there. Just thought it would be a pretty cool thing to try. Thanks!
72k20Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: ECM Tuning

TOAD is just an editor, so you'd still need to run a tuning program to actually extract and flash the data.

We do vehicles with HP Tuners primarily, but EFI Live is another option thats common.

Whats your goal?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
72k20Farmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
TOAD is just an editor, so you'd still need to run a tuning program to actually extract and flash the data.

We do vehicles with HP Tuners primarily, but EFI Live is another option thats common.

Whats your goal?
I would like to be able to edit and flash the ECM and view everything that is going on in there. I don't really know much about the whole thing yet and would like to learn more about it. And with EFI Live, that allows you to edit and extract/flash the data right? Thanks!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

HP Tuners and EFI Live do pretty much the same thing. They have cables that connect to your OBD port and then to your Laptop.

They can read the contents of your ECM, "copy" those tables and settings (aka the tune file), and then use their respective programs to make changes. Then, those changes are saved, and "flashed" back into the ECM.

Entry level cost is around $499, cost varies a bit between them and any licensing or credit costs afterword.

Be aware, while its great for people to learn and make changes, its very possible to blow sh!t up, or make changes that cause plenty of headaches.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
72k20Farmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
HP Tuners and EFI Live do pretty much the same thing. They have cables that connect to your OBD port and then to your Laptop.

They can read the contents of your ECM, "copy" those tables and settings (aka the tune file), and then use their respective programs to make changes. Then, those changes are saved, and "flashed" back into the ECM.

Entry level cost is around $499, cost varies a bit between them and any licensing or credit costs afterword.

Be aware, while its great for people to learn and make changes, its very possible to blow sh!t up, or make changes that cause plenty of headaches.
thanks! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Running my late model GM stuff with EFI Live and it works great. You have the capability to set fuel trims, Speedometer/tire adjustments, Fuel cutoff points, fan turn on times, and also adjust transmission shift points, all from a laptop.

2011 GMC Sierra 5.3
2015 Chevy SS Sedan 6.2
2009 Pontiac G8 6.0
Old 05-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
cbeerman

Not really sure what TOAD is but for a beginner I'd recommend checking out the free version of tunerpro. If your tech savvy it will give you an idea of the nuts and bolt behind the bigger fancier tuners. Craig Moates' support site also has lots of good info and also check out gearhead-efi and one of my personal favorites pcmhacking.
cbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote