The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Ultimate work truck/ 70 K10 diesel

Well, against my better judgement, I think i'm gonna start another build thread. I've been collecting pieces for a while now, and am starting to make some progress. Here is what I started with.

It is a70 K10 with a 350 and a 4 speed. I bought it from the original owner, with 130,000 miles on it. I got it running, and drove it around for a year, mostly just to the dump and around town. My plans are to build a daily driver/work truck that is reliable, and gets descent mileage. Well, thats where it started.

My specific plans are:
Mechanical diesel
5 speed
3.73 gear 1/2T running gear with disk brakes
crossover steering
52" spring swap in the front
63" springs in the rear
33 or 35" mud terrains depending on how much of a lift I end up with
Eventually when I paint it, its got to look good dirty
Rhinoline the cab floor and firewall

Parts I've collected:
3 parts trucks
a complete 92 1 ton with a good running 6.5T
NV3500 2wd 5 speed
dodge divorced 205
later model 3.73 open knuckle dana 44 with new balljoints and brakes
12 bolt posi 3.73 rear
52" leaf springs
New energy suspension body mounts and leaf spring bushings

Most of this stuff i've gotten really cheap, or I've traded something for it.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Re: Ultimate work truck/ 70 K10 diesel

I have to back track some to get up to date,and I am bad about remembering to take pictures, but I'm trying. The first thing I did was pull the nose off and see if the 6.2/6.5 will just drop in. I pulled the motor mounts off my 350, and bolted them on to a spare 6.2 block I had. It dropped in no problem, except it sat back too far, and the heads would have hit.

At this point I pulled the cab off so I could get the 4 speed and 205 out easier. I moved the engine crossmember 2" forward, and replaced my 4wd tranny crossmember with a 2wd auto crossmember. I bolted my 5 speed to my complete 6.2, and set it in the frame to see how it fit. The oilpan wouldn't let the motor slide forward the last half inch, so I modified it a little.

I mounted everything back in, and mounted my transfer case, which I'll have to get pics of. I had to clearence the tranny crossmember some for the front driveline, which coincidently will be the same length as the rear.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I started really looking this frame over, and found that it is badly bent and damaged, and there is that god aweful bumper welded to the front. The PO took 4" C-channel, slid it inside the frame rail and globbed on these great big nasty welds. I decided to find another frame. K10 frames are is short supply around here, or they've been beaten like a red headed step child. I found a mostly complete c10 with a good frame, a salvageable bed, good doors, and drug it home as my third parts truck. I pulled off the diff cover for giggles, and found a 3.73 12 bolt posi I pulled this truck apart, and have the frame on blocks. That's more or less where I'm at. Last night I set my 6.2 and 5 speed back in it, and set the cab on it to check clearances. I can just get my fingers around the back of the heads, so I think I'm good. I'm gonna throw the radiator support on there in the morning and I'll get a few more pictures.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

very cool build! looking forward to seeing the progress

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Chevymaniac

This will be one helluva a truck when you are done, i can't wait to see the finished results. Just to clear things up, are you going to be running a 6.2L or the 6.5L and is it turboed.

Keeps the pics coming.
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I'm gonna runa 6.5T, but its still in the 92 1 ton. For mock up I've got a 6.2. Its identical except for the turbo. I've got a few more pictures to post later tonight
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Last night I set the motor and tranny in place, and set the cab on to check clearances.

For giggles i threw my seat in to check the shifter location. I'm gonna build a more retro looking shifter handle, the plastic doesn't look right.

Now I get to tear it all back apart. Next I think I'm gonna start building the front suspension. I need the shackle mounts for the rear of the front springs. I'm reluctant to tear into my K10. As it sits I can still move it around. Oh well. Its gotta be done sometime.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
skoffice

Looks like a good start! You have made some good decisions by dumping the whacked up frame and that bumper My buddy has a 6.2 in his K10 with a 4 speed and he gets 21 mpg! So needless to say I hope you can expect the same results. I don't know much about the swap but I'll tell you what he told me. He said if you can get a harness off of one that came in a box van, basically a chassis van, it will make things a ton easier. I guess the way they did those harnesses it's all self contained to the engine. Like I said I don't know much about the swap but I hope that kinda helps! I'll be watching your 52" conversion too!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
woodwright
Enjoying left field

the 6.2's and the 6.5's till 94 had mechanical injector pumps like the 12 valve cummins. Besides your usual temp and oil sensors, and starter, they just half a 12volt circuit for the glowplugs, and one wire for the fuel shutoff in the lift pump. cant get get much simpler.

Last edited by woodwright; 03-09-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #10
skoffice

See that's kinda what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure haha. I'm familiar with the cummins but never have messed with the 6.2/6.5. If I hadn't just built a 383 though, I'd consider the swap for all that mileage!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #11
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Got a little progress done today. I pulled the cab back off, and the motor and tranny. I lifted the bare frame up onto a steel table I built out of old scrap steel so it would be easier to work on.

I went to work on getting the old leafspring bushings out. I got these 52's off of the rear of a late 70's 1/2T suburban. I found a pretty fast way to remove the old bushings. First, I cut the center sleeve down the middle length wise with my torch. This of course gets the rubber center flaming up really good I let it burn for a minute, and then the center sleeve will pretty much fall out. Pop the rubber out with a screwdriver, and all you're left with is the outer sleeve. Then I took my portaband, and cut the sleeve thru the split in the leaf spring.

A sawzall or hacksaw would probably work too. You don't want to cut the whole length, or it will pinch your blade since it's under tension. You can cut it the rest of the way with a screwdriver, and then pry the sleeve into itself.

It will pretty much fall out after that. The whole thing takes less than 5 minutes per bushing.

The last thing i did was make my front leafspring mounts.

I found some scrap 3.5" square tube with 1/4 wall that worked perfect.

Last edited by woodwright; 02-16-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
madmopar
This guy has got to be stopped

Awesome build!

1970 4x4 LWB project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415134
madmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #13
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Got a little bit done tonight. I got one side front spring mount mostly done. I need to finish some welds and smooth a few edges, and build the other side.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

I'd say that MIGHT be strong enough! Very good fab work!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Got my shackle hanger brackets done and got some 3/8" x 2" steel for my shackles. My computer is fruiting out so I'm having a hard time posting pictures. I'll get them up in the next day or 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #16
woodwright
Enjoying left field

first a little frame reconstruction.

my shackle mounts

I've still got to put some more bolts in the bottoms. As soon as i get all the brackets and crossmembers in, I'm gonna flip the frame and put all the bottom bolts in. I'm gonna use a different set of springs so next I need to replace the bushings and make my shackles. It's too cold to paint anything, so I'm gonna have to disassemble everything later.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Got some 3/8"x 2" flat bar for the shackles.

I wanted to see how much the springs would sag one I put some weight on it. I set it down on the front axle, which was on jackstands, and took some measurements.

Before

After

Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #18
woodwright
Enjoying left field

The front sagged about 2 inches, so now I know where to set my rear springs. One of the best products I've came across, Is a paint stripper disk from Norton.

They're good for stripping paint and bondo, and work great for cleaning, and taking off scale. With my parts I'm fabbing, usually I shape with a 40 grit flap disk, and then go over it with one of these blue pads. After that they're pretty much ready for paint. A word of caution though, If you grab an edge too hard it can rip chunks out. And I've got a variable speed grinder, and I'm not sure if a standard grinder spins faster. They say they're rated to 11,000rpm.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I went to the wrecking yard the other day to pull a set of 63" rear springs. Long story short, I ended up with a nice set of 54"s off of the rear of a 2wd 88-98 chev truck. Any reason not to use these? I set one of them on the floor and stood on it and it settled about 2 inches(250lbs). They look brand new, and I think they fit better than the 63's would. But I've also got a set of 3/4T 63's. I think they've had a hard life. So unless someone recomends otherwise, i think I'm gonna use the 54"s.
I picked up a new toy yesterday. Only $50

I'm out of town for a few days, but when I get back I'm gonna start on the rear spring mounts

Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #20
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Once again, nice work as always! Did you happen to look at the angle of the shackles when the weight was on the front springs? There's not really a spec on what it should be but there should be a slight negative angle where the rear spring eye is behind the rear bushing on the frame at ride height with weight of the drivetrain and body. Is there a way to mock all the weight or drop the drivetrain and the body back on?

Good luck with the rear!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #21
MalibuSSwagon

Good to see someone using the under appreciated 6.5TD! Certainly alot easier than a cummins swap since it swaps in place of small blocks, and the fuel mileage is nice!

Last edited by MalibuSSwagon; 03-07-2011 at 06:24 AM.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Quote:
Originally Posted by propanemudtruck View Post
Once again, nice work as always! Did you happen to look at the angle of the shackles when the weight was on the front springs? There's not really a spec on what it should be but there should be a slight negative angle where the rear spring eye is behind the rear bushing on the frame at ride height with weight of the drivetrain and body. Is there a way to mock all the weight or drop the drivetrain and the body back on?

Good luck with the rear!
With the weight of the motor and tranny, the shackles are angled back a little. Once all the weight is on there, they will probably be about 15 degrees. From the research I've done, Any more angle than that only really matters if you need alot of articulation, And I don't plan on wheeling it much. It will have a sway bar on the front.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #23
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I've been trying to find information on Rhinolining the cab. Specifically, How it works for sound deadening. The only trucks I've found where they have done this are Jeeps and blazers, Where they don't really care about the noise, They just want easy to clean. The local guy here sprays Ultimate Lining, so I called their tech line and asked them what they thought. They said that the different brands of liner are different, obviously, some being harder and more brittle. With the Ultimate, I guess it stays more pliable and rubbery,so It should work great. The tech guy recommended doing both sides of the firewall and the underside of the hood. It should cost about $300.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

On the subject of lining the interior...

The fire engine I drive at work has Line-X brand liner sprayed on all the interior surfaces. We like it very much for day in-day out usage. The texture is not rubbery at all. It seems to be wearing very well too. As for sound deadening, I cannot speak intelligently about that. It's a fire truck after all and we wear noise control intercom headsets due to the sirens.

Sorry about the low quality pictures, I snapped them with my eye phone.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #25
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwright View Post
With the weight of the motor and tranny, the shackles are angled back a little. Once all the weight is on there, they will probably be about 15 degrees. From the research I've done, Any more angle than that only really matters if you need alot of articulation, And I don't plan on wheeling it much. It will have a sway bar on the front.

Good Deal! I figured you had all that measured out, but it's always a good idea to mention some things...