The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2015, 02:07 AM   #1
NurseBen

AWD c10 from 2011 Savana

I have been looking to do a 5.3/4l60 swap in my '69 c10 for quite some time. I recently purchased a 2011 GMC Savana AWD that runs great for the price of a junkyard 5.3 vortec. I have seen a post where an AWD transmission was used with a rwd tail shaft so I figured I'd give it a shot. The more I look at this AWD machine I can't help but wonder how hard would a body swap be, even though every thread about a body swap is usually not met with open arms. So on to my questions; the wheel base of the van is about 8" longer, I'd like to use my c10 trailing arms with my bags, cut the leaf springs out and fab up some mounts. Sounds somewhat reasonable? The track width on the van is about 5" wider, I would like to run Mob Steel 20" rims which appear to have a positive back spacing, tuck in the fender more? For the front suspension I am finding tons of drop control arms and knuckles from various companies, DMJ?, but no clear cut answer if these parts, usually for Denalis, Sierras, (AWD) will be compatible with the 1500 6 lug AWD van. I have seen 6" drop control arms and 2" knuckles, any one have experience with these? My truck now is 5" front with c-notch and bags, if this pipe dream is possible I'd like to go this low. Any help and positive advice would be helpful. On a side note I did recently see an owner in Puerto Rico? do something like this but it looks like he cut up a suburban and welded to his frame.
Thank you, Ben.
(I also posted this in the suspension forum but I'm sure some one here knows about the control arm and knuckle question)
NurseBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #2
Cooper197

Re: AWD c10 from 2011 Savana

There's a guy cutting up a mid 2000's Trail Blazer SS AWD and putting a '66 Suburban on that floorpan.
It's in the 60-66 Projects area of the forum.

It'd be a ton of work, but that said anything could be done with enough time, patience and money!
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote