The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Oil Pressure problem

My daughter has a 2008 Silverado 1500 Z-71 5.3. She left for work and about a mile down the rd. her oil pressure dropped so she pulled over and checked oil,down one qt. She drove home added a qt. and good pressure. Next time she drove it a few miles down the rd. oil pressure drops to 0 and warning light says no oil pressure shut off engine. Shut engine off then restart and oil pressure is good but quickly falls off so I have her get it towed home. Google search says it is a popular problem and need to change sending unit. Further research reveals a fine mesh screen under the sending unit. I went on You Tube and found many different vids on changing the sender.
I ended up undoing the fuel line,evap line and a vacuum hose to get easier access. Even with big hands I was able to reach behind the intake and get the plug off. With a deep 1 1/16 half in drive socket, a universal and 6" extension I was able to get the old sensor out. With a small hook tool you can reach into the hole and pull out the screen. Hers was plugged up but I put a small hole in it getting it out so I replaced it. $6.00 at the dealership. I got it back together easily and it seems fine now. The sender was probably ok and just needed the screen but I replaced both . Hope this helps someone.

Bob
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote