The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Genaro Sandoval

Exclamation help truck not accelerating

Ok so i recently got me a 1971 chevy c10 first build ever. I've been having trouble with the truck not moving. It has the floor shifter, when i bought the truck it was very loose but the guy i bought the truck from showed me it still changed gears and was working perfectly fine. i recently changed the oil, new oil filter, battery wires, new spark plugs,alternator, and wires.Me being the newbie that i am i took them off all at once. i saw a video on youtube and got the stock spark plug wire diagram for chevy's and did as it was on the diagram.That pushed me back even further on trying to get it to run. now i had a problem with it not starting so i knew i did something wrong.watched another video that said that the firing order was not always stock on the distributor if it was replaced by someone that didn't know how.Not sure if i did it right but i took apart the distributor and saw where the first spark plug wire was suppose to be.I then put it all back together and it fired right up. then i tried putting it on drive pushed the gas and no go. I've looked at linkage not sure how its suppose to go.this morning i tried to turn it on and it was dead i then recharged my battery and fired up again.might have an electrical problem as well. is there any way that i was to ruff with the distributor and knocked it out of place does that have anything to do with it not accelerating if it cranks and turns over? help please!!!
Genaro Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
snipescastle2

Talking Re: help truck not accelerating

Ok, assuming you didn't pull the distributor out of the engine, just took off all the wires, this should be easy.
You didn't mention if it had point type distributor or HEI/ electronic type distributor.if yours has points, just leaving the ignition key "on" or in the "run" position will burn the points up giving you starting issues.
Electronic ignition isn't so fussy. But first, we need to make sure your wires are on, in the correct direction. As you look at your distributor,
Look at the vacuum advance diaphragm, the rotor turns away from the diaphragm.the rotor should turn clockwise, the small block Chevy's firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
So, if you take out the number one spark plug, and turn over the engine until it's at no.1 on compression (you should hear air escaping from the spark plug hole) make sure the rotor is pointing at the no.1 plug terminal on the distributor cap, then start putting the wires on, going clockwise, starting with 1,then 8,4,3,6,5,7,2..... once all the wires are on, make sure your distributor cap is seated (there's a notch on the bottom of the cap that fits in the top of the distributor) put the no.1 spark plug back in,then try to fire it up.
if you didn't pull the distributor out of the engine,
it should run.if not, you'll have to do a little more work.
now, if your truck has point type distributor, you might need to replace them, but that's another situation.let us know if this works first, then we can proceed.
Ben

Last edited by snipescastle2; 02-18-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correction
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Genaro Sandoval

Re: help truck not accelerating

Thank you Ben for the quick reply and its is a HEI sorry forgot to mention that. Ill do a little more research on what your talking about and give it a go.Ill let you know if it fixed my issue thank you again!!
Genaro Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote