The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
XADom13

Lokar Shift Linkage from Column Shifter to 4L60E

Hey guys, I am at that point of connecting the old and new of my truck. I am building a '72 Longhorn, named Adrenalin Fix and have finally settled the 5.3 LS and 4L60e into the truck and need to connect the late model trans to the original column shifter. All that I have read says the stock column I have is the right shift orientation and I bought a Lokar shift linkage kit that is supposed to work with my setup.

I have since looked at the setup of the '02 Tahoe that was the donor for the engine and trans and it has a cable shifter. The cable is routed coming in from the rear of the vehicle to the shift bar on the driver's side of the trans.

Do you guys know if the mechanical linkage is the right way to go, or do I need to do something different? This is all new to me. Sorry for the simple question. If there is another thread that might explain this in detail it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
XADom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
t300

Re: Lokar Shift Linkage from Column Shifter to 4L60E

I don't know what the 'right way' is but I just did the mechanical version yesterday. I took the U shaped original bracket that mounted to the inner frame rail, narrowed it about 3/4" as the 4l60e sits closer to the frame than original trans. then drilled new mount holes for it and that was about it. Same as factory essentially.
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
clemsonteg

My truck was a 3ott, so I didn't have any linkage to start. I used the lokar linkage and it seems to work fine.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
XADom13

Thanks heaps, guys! At least I know I am headed in the right direction. Now I just gotta get the parts out of the box and attack it.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
DjS71

I went from 3OTT to 4L80 and modified the frame side shift brackets from a '77 and used the trans side bracket from the same truck with good success.

This is similar to what i did, but I used a piece of unistrut to stand it off the frame rail.

Here's a pic of the stock '72 setup on a new trans
Old 07-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by XADom13 View Post
Hey guys, I am at that point of connecting the old and new of my truck. I am building a '72 Longhorn, named Adrenalin Fix and have finally settled the 5.3 LS and 4L60e into the truck and need to connect the late model trans to the original column shifter. All that I have read says the stock column I have is the right shift orientation and I bought a Lokar shift linkage kit that is supposed to work with my setup.

I have since looked at the setup of the '02 Tahoe that was the donor for the engine and trans and it has a cable shifter. The cable is routed coming in from the rear of the vehicle to the shift bar on the driver's side of the trans.

Do you guys know if the mechanical linkage is the right way to go, or do I need to do something different? This is all new to me. Sorry for the simple question. If there is another thread that might explain this in detail it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I used a Lokar shift linkage kit on my truck with a stock tilt column and a 4L60e. I had to add to the main shift rod because I have my engine mounted close to the firewall. I'm sure if you use standard 67-72 engine stands it will work just fine.
I will add this, It's pretty cumbersome to adjust the Lokar linkage such that your shift indicator lines up correctly on your PRNDL indicator. I adjusted mine 3 or 4 times and finally gave up.
It's a bear to do by yourself. Good luck!
these are the only pics I could find:

mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
XADom13

Those pictures are actually quite helpful Mike (mcbassin). Thanks! Great looking swb, by the way. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by XADom13 View Post
Those pictures are actually quite helpful Mike (mcbassin). Thanks! Great looking swb, by the way. Thanks!
No problem and thanks. You definitely won't regret the LS powerplant with the 4L60E
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
Jayred

I used the Kugel Komponents shift arm kit. It works well and installs easy.
Jayred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 AM   #10
'68 Newtricks

I'm running the ls/4l60 as well with it mounted in the I6 frame holes. My column is also pushed forward about 3". The Lokar kit works ok, but because everything is farther away than stock the rod is about 3" too short. I'm still driving it like that, just haven't yet pulled it apart to sleeve the rod. My trans linkage is pointing ~10o'clock and most of the shift indicator is slightly off. Meh, it works