The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
flyingtim01

Re: any diesel lovers here?

I had been looking for a newer truck - my '71 with 4.56's is long on charm and durability, but a rusty cab with no insulation or a/c was making it difficult for me to use it for anything that involved highway driving, because the old 350 was screaming at 65.

I was on Chevy's site and decided to 'build' my dream new truck, and almost fell out of my chair when the price tag was like 55K. On a whim, I searched for similar used trucks, and found a 2012 at a local dealership. I drove it, and fell in love. Its a 2012 3500HD LT SRW, standard cab, long bed, 4wd and the Duramax/Allison combo. I did some research, and it looks like the Duramax is getting better real world MPG's than the 6.0. Of course, diesel is more expensive, so I guess its a wash. Anyway, I had to have it. Turns out, a 2 year old one ton with 28K already on the clock was in my budget. She's been happily parked next to the '71 for a week now.

I've really come to like the diesel, and it's the first one I've owned. I was a little disappointed, this one is so quiet, and the exhaust doesn't smell at all. I can't really find anything bad to say about an engine that makes 397 hp and 765 lbs of torque, all while getting 22 mpg (empty) for me on the highway. Plus you factor in the longevity of the motor and the advertised durability of the Allison...