The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2019, 02:34 AM   #1
wesmigletz

Stock Ride Height Coil Spring Options for 2WD 1970 Blazer

My wife and I just purchased a 2WD Blazer to replace her 70 K5 that we recently sold.

We would like to maintain a stock ride height, but with a higher rate spring for better handling, if possible. We have a 1 1/8" sway bar for the rear, and are looking for a 1 1/4" front sway bar off a 1 ton square body for the front. I plan to upgrade to mid-70s square body disc brakes and PS to replace the stock drums and manual steering.

I happen to have a new set of Moog #6104 coil springs for the front. These are stock replacement for a BBC C10. Are these a good option for the front? If needed is it OK to trim a half a coil?

What coil spring for the rear? If I remember correctly the big block trucks used a Moog 6103. I've also seen a HD variable rate coil spring offered for 3/4 tons. How would that spring ride? Would the ride height match the 6104 in the front?

Are the HD yellow gas magnum Monroe shocks a good match for this combo?

I'm planning to run a 15x8" steel wheel with a dog dish cap, and a wider tire that has the same height as a 235/75/R15.

Thanks in advance.

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Stock Ride Height Coil Spring Options for 2WD 1970 Blazer

Not many 2wd Blazers, you might get a better response on spring height on the truck side. IMO cutting coils is risky, correct fit stiffness etc. I tried to use some 3/4 ton coils on my Blazer, to tall to stiff. I would think 1/2 ton truck springs are the same, front and rear.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #3
wesmigletz

Re: Stock Ride Height Coil Spring Options for 2WD 1970 Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Not many 2wd Blazers, you might get a better response on spring height on the truck side. IMO cutting coils is risky, correct fit stiffness etc. I tried to use some 3/4 ton coils on my Blazer, to tall to stiff. I would think 1/2 ton truck springs are the same, front and rear.
Thank you for the response. I spent some time reading through all the coil spring threads I could find in the truck forum. The responses echoed what you said about the 3/4 ton springs riding rough. Rock Auto lists the same front coil spring for the C10 and 2wd Blazer.

I don't wan to lower it, or cause a harsh ride, but I don't want it floating around like a mid-70s Cadillac... I think I will give the 6104 springs a try since I already have them, and adjust fire from there.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote