The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Agent915

Wiring harness

Hey Guys,

I thought I had settled on buying an AAW harness for my truck then I found myself thumbing through an issue of "Classic Trucks." On the very first page is an ad for "EZWiring" and their 21 curcuit harness is only $185!! That's less than half the cost of the AAW. I know, I know, I've read thousands of your posts and I know what some are saying, "you get what you pay for" and I agree, BUT when you read the ad you see a lot of the same features AAW has. I was absolutely sold on AAW after reading some of y'alls posts and opinions and will still buy their harness if its better. My question is, is it better? Have any of you used "EZWiring?" How do the two compare? Here is their web address. http://www.ezwiring.com Look at their product and let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Danny
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
plumber36757

Re: Wiring harness

AAW all the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
plumber36757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Agent915

I feel like that will be the way most feel. Actually I was just going through the mag again and saw that Summit had the AAW Power Plus harness for $228. It's not the AAW upgrade harness I had looked at, but I'm going to compare the two and see why the Power Plus is so much cheaper.

Danny
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

I think one of the features / selling points for the AAW update series is all the factory style and some mentioned as "exclusive" connectors & components to AAW. I have read a few threads that mention by the time they purchased all the items not already included in the AAW kit, the initial price point was no longer that great.
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Scott>72-GMC

185 Is cheap
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Agent915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted78SS View Post
I think one of the features / selling points for the AAW update series is all the factory style and some mentioned as "exclusive" connectors & components to AAW. I have read a few threads that mention by the time they purchased all the items not already included in the AAW kit, the initial price point was no longer that great.
That makes sense! I looked back at the ad and the image of the harness is of the wiring and fuse block. Next to it is an insert showing images of their switches/connectors. Then..............."please call." Hmm, I guess you really do get what you pay for! Someone should really write that down.

Danny
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
philB

Thumbs down Re: Wiring harness

have a c10/'69 stepside, looked at all the wiring kits and this isnt a show truck, settled on ezwiring, price was good but, had to make over a dozen call for tech help, wire hook up almost the same but for differant switches, wire print left a LOT to your own electrical experance, next time it's Ron Frances for me, may have to do it on this one again with loose wire ends and fuse sockets, hope it all stays togetrher when we start running to the weekend car shows, need more info just ask.
philB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Wootdog

I used painless myself and it was rather easy.
Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Agent915

Quote:
Originally Posted by philB View Post
have a c10/'69 stepside, looked at all the wiring kits and this isnt a show truck, settled on ezwiring, price was good but, had to make over a dozen call for tech help, wire hook up almost the same but for differant switches, wire print left a LOT to your own electrical experance, next time it's Ron Frances for me, may have to do it on this one again with loose wire ends and fuse sockets, hope it all stays togetrher when we start running to the weekend car shows, need more info just ask.
Hey Phil,

That's great information! I will be going with AAW. My rig isn't a show truck either. It is a "frame-off" and hopefully will turn out nice. I did smooth the firewall and welded all the holes, but other than that it'll be pretty straight forward. Nothing fancy. I will add something like a "hotrod" style heater/defrost system later. Plus I am running twin electric fans. Do you think the 21 circuit system is too big? What would you recommend?

Danny
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
philB

dont have any power accesories and wont be adding any, the 21 kit will do fine, what gauge panel and column do you have to let aaw know before ordering.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Agent915

Quote:
dont have any power accesories and wont be adding any, the 21 kit will do fine, what gauge panel and column do you have to let aaw know before ordering.
I have a full (6) gauge panel. The gauges will most likely be electronic AutoMeters. The column is out of a '70 C10.

Danny
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
philB

you going to install gauges yourself? let me know how it turns out, also have a cluster panel and want to install gauges and not done that befor all info is good going into a project.
good luck on wiring, should not have any trouble with first class kit, not like the one I used, found out a little too late.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Agent915

Quote:
you going to install gauges yourself? let me know how it turns out, also have a cluster panel and want to install gauges and not done that befor all info is good going into a project.
good luck on wiring, should not have any trouble with first class kit, not like the one I used, found out a little too late.
Yes I'll be doing the gauge installation. I've been taking photos from the day I pulled him out of the weeds. I may select a few pics from each phase of the build and post a build thread when its finished. I've never done wiring....ever, so I'm a little nervous about it, but not so nervous I'm not going to try it!!

Thanks for your help!

Danny
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Bhelton

I purchased a 21 circuit ez wire kit that includes switches for 250 and has ignition switch included. I have had aaw and sold it to use ez wire. Just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote