The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #276
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Trouble maker that's all you are.

Yea you know me.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #277
Rods57

Hey kabwe, on the front fender extension of you truck, does the grill bolt to the tabs in your pictures? I had a 57 and a 55 but didn't know which one the 55 grill will fit and i dont have one to hold up to it.
Attached Images

Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #278
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
I removed all the bracing before I sectioned it. Once I sectioned it and done all my hammer and dolly work, I then had to section the bracing. You don't have to worry about that rear brace it will allow the hood to be lowered to the front.
Here is a pic of when I finished the section and with the brace removed.

This is the only pic of have on my computer of the under the hood bracing. The brace running the across was sectioned on both sides (weld are already metal finished in this pic) and the hood latch brace was section and you can still see the welds.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Kabwe, that's what I needed to know.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #279
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods57 View Post
Hey kabwe, on the front fender extension of you truck, does the grill bolt to the tabs in your pictures? I had a 57 and a 55 but didn't know which one the 55 grill will fit and i dont have one to hold up to it.
That one is a 57 and also have a 55-56 I just used the first one I could grab for mock up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Thanks Kabwe, that's what I needed to know.
Kim
No problem Kim.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-18-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #280
Kim57

Kabwe
Where did you get the tilt unit for your truck?
Brothers has one that's in the $350 range and Autoloc has one that's around $250.
Not sure if the brothers one is worth the extra expense.
How hard do you think it would be to make your own?
Kim
Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #281
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Kabwe
Where did you get the tilt unit for your truck?
Brothers has one that's in the $350 range and Autoloc has one that's around $250.
Not sure if the brothers one is worth the extra expense.
How hard do you think it would be to make your own?
Kim
I got mine from No Limit Engineering for about the same price as the brothers one. After getting it, it looks pretty easy to make your own. Look at jjjmm56 build thread he made his own.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #282
Kim57

Thanks Kabwe
I've been following his build and didn't catch that he made his own tilt hood.
Kim
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #283
spousta

i really like your chopped hood. good workmanship. keep up the good work
Old 06-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #284
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spousta View Post
i really like your chopped hood. good workmanship. keep up the good work
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment, comments like yours and the other members of the board keep me motivated to work on the truck. Once again thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #285
meter swinger

nice work man.
i'll be watching out for pics on the tilt hood. seems like the stock ones will never lay flat, and the best solution would be a rear tilt. looks like it will be an awesome ride when done.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #286
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
nice work man.
i'll be watching out for pics on the tilt hood. seems like the stock ones will never lay flat, and the best solution would be a rear tilt. looks like it will be an awesome ride when done.
Thank you very much. I hope it turns out as nice as I envision it but who knows.lol
Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #287
Fat Mike

Kabwe is it easier to weld 16 & 18 gauge with a tig than a mig welder? Does it use a gas tank like a mig?

Last edited by Fat Mike; 06-02-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #288
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
Kabwe is it easier to weld 16 & 18 gauge with a tig than a mig welder? Does it use a gas tank like a mig?
Mig welding is easier than tig, but tig is not as hard as people make it out to be. It just takes practice and you get better the more you do it. Yes it does use gas but not mig gas most tig welders use 100% percent argon. I say most because originally Helium was used and still is for some applications.

I like tig on body panels because the weld bead is softer than mig and you can really do great metal finish. It is not prone to crack from hammer and dolly work like with a mig weld. That being said all of my fab work was done with a mig because I did not have a tig they are expensive. I will be doing some stuff to the 55 Sedan in the future so most of the body will be tig welded. You can still do great work with mig welding its not necessary to have a tig, but they are great.

By the way tig eats a lot of shielding gas, because of your pre-flow(before you start your arc you let the gas flow a sec or two before starting your puddle) and post-flow (after your arc is stop you allow the gas to flow over the weld area to keep it from getting contaminated).

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-02-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #289
Fat Mike

Thank you for the info Kabwe.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #290
xpickup

Kabwe, Did you try TIG welding sheet metal yet. I tried with mine with the 3/32 tungsten and it was way too big of tungsten and ended up just burning holes. I want to get some 1/16 and .040 tungsten and then try it. It will not take as many amps then. Keep up the great work. I know you like metal work and wondered if you had ever try one of those SS shrinking discs. I bought one and they really do work. It was well worth the $100 (8" and 4" plus video).

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #291
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Kabwe, Did you try TIG welding sheet metal yet. I tried with mine with the 3/32 tungsten and it was way too big of tungsten and ended up just burning holes. I want to get some 1/16 and .040 tungsten and then try it. It will not take as many amps then. Keep up the great work. I know you like metal work and wondered if you had ever try one of those SS shrinking discs. I bought one and they really do work. It was well worth the $100 (8" and 4" plus video).

Shannon
Yes I have tig welded sheetmetal before and I used a 1/16 Ceriated tungsten. I did it with no filler rod just a fusion weld, the butt joint has to be perfect with no gap. Yes I use a shrinking disc all the time they are great. They work so great I bought it its own grinder and I just grab it as need.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-03-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #292
xpickup

Kabwe, I will give it a try with 1/16 tungsten. I did the same thing and just bought a 7" grinder just for the shrinking disc. keep up the good work.

Shannon
Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #293
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Kabwe, I will give it a try with 1/16 tungsten. I did the same thing and just bought a 7" grinder just for the shrinking disc. keep up the good work.

Shannon
Thanks man and you keep up the great work you are doing also and keep posting pics. You do really nice work man.

Oh and I think I'm going to get some .40 tungsten also and give it a try to see if I can get a smaller HAZ. The less HAZ the better when it comes to sheetmetal. I'm just going to play around and see what I like better.

I was reading on metalmeet this guy said he ran a quick bead (fusion weld) across the total length of his door skin and got very little distortion. I have to try it sometime (on test pieces of course.lol) and see if I can get that good. I can't imagine doing a fusion weld for the length of door panel and not getting much distortion. But those guys on metalmeet and incredible.

Last edited by Kabwe; 06-03-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #294
xpickup

Kabwe, Thank you. I love looking at every bodies build pictures. A lot of the time I rather see the build pictures over looking at pictures of them done. You get to see how they did it and compare it to what or how you would do it. You can learn a lot from the internet. I remember seeing that guy on metalmeet. Keep up the great work.

Shannon
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #295
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Kabwe, your ride is looking great. Many have said this and I agree, "You have MAJOR SKILLS." You are a man that loves what he does. I have slowed down due to blood pressure being high but starting to crank back up. Two questions for you: First, which shaved door kit did you use and where did you buy? Second, Do you have a pattern where you rounded your door corners that you might could upload for us to use? Thanks, your mods are awesome!!!
Keep 'em coming Master!!!!

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #296
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57picupnewbie View Post
Kabwe, your ride is looking great. Many have said this and I agree, "You have MAJOR SKILLS." You are a man that loves what he does. I have slowed down due to blood pressure being high but starting to crank back up. Two questions for you: First, which shaved door kit did you use and where did you buy? Second, Do you have a pattern where you rounded your door corners that you might could upload for us to use? Thanks, your mods are awesome!!!
Keep 'em coming Master!!!!
Hey man thanks a lot of the compliments I appreciate it. As for the shaved door kit I used autoloc large bear claws kit that I bought on ebay.

On the rounded door corners I used some poster board to first trace the doors edge, then I rounded it to my liking and I used it for both doors to trace the cut out.

Heres the pic of the rounded poster board placed on the door to trace the cut out.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #297
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I think this is my last modification to the truck's cab. I thought since I rounded the doors in the front and shaved the drip rails I mightiest well go all the way and round the rear of the doors.lol

Old 06-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #298
Kim57

Looks good Kabwe.
I've got one more thing I'm going to do round corners on.
When I get my tilt done on the hood the rear corners are going to get the treatment.
I've contemplated doing the door bottoms but don't think the amount of work is justified yet.
Kim
Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #299
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Thanks kim.

I think I done with the mods man I ready to get this thing in primer and start shooting some color.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #300
JML55

Nice work men, like always.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote