The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
Phungki

Welding WTH

If you haven’t caught on yet with all the questions I ask, this is all new to me. I’ve done minor car repair things over the years. Replaced starters, alternators, mufflers,plugs, wires and replaced a few leaky valve cover gaskets. Really minor stuff. I knew when I got into this that I would be over my head but learn a lot and have some fun. So far both have been true lol. It’s kind of a bucket list thing for me so I’m good with it. So on to the reason for this post

I knew I was going to get to weld some stuff. Never done it before. Never had the need. My prior “hobby” has been rehabbing the homes I live in. Not much welding needed. So as I’m working the frame of my truck my dad is welding something on one of his mowers. I asked to try it myself just so I could get an idea before I start with some patch panels in the near future. WTH, I couldn’t see a f’n thing. My dads helmet darkens when you start welding which I thought was kind of cool. But then all I saw was a bright light. Couldn’t see the two pieces of scrap metal I was supposed to be welding together. Couldn’t see the “puddle” he was talking about. Nothing, just a bright spot. He said, “you will get use to it, you will learn to see it”. I don’t know about that. Slightly discouraged. He did say it was his cheap welder. He didn’t have any gas for his other one. Whatever that means. I asked what kind of welding this was and he said mig.
Does this sound right? I just have to learn to see? Are there helmets that protect your eyes but don’t make it so damn dark? How can you be precise?
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Welding WTH

Most auto darkening hoods have darkening adjustment setting on lense... what's it set on?...should be inside the helmet on the lense holder...
If you dont know how to weld...thin panel replacement is not really a good place to start
Also how good are your eyes....I cant weld a thing without my cheater glasses now..
And the other way also...back when my eyes were good I borrowed a helmet...couldn't see a dang thing...found out it had a cheater lense in it..took that out so I could see...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 06-18-2019 at 11:40 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:41 AM   #3
mr48chev

^^^^^^ He knows. A plain helmet with a big screen with the right shade of lens might be a lot more comfortable to start with.

I've got a really high quality auto darken helmet that sells for over 300 that I use that I really like but I have it adjusted to a lighter shade as Mongo can fly suggested. I think I have about 5 helmets out in the garage including that one. One old small lens welding helmet that I bought way back in the 80's, a large lens maybe a HF auto dark and a Coastal farm and ranch auto dark. I don't like the Coastal one at all.

Weld lots of scrap pieces together and maybe make some things like a plant stand for your wife or mom. One of the first things kids in the local high school ag shop welding class made were plant stands and I have one out front that I bought from a friend's son about 35 years ago. She had too many sons in welding class that year and the other one Talked her into buying his first.

My son learned on my big old Forney stick welder with his buddy teaching him after work. The buddy is a pipe line welder in Alaska now and my son has evolved into a good welder who has since taught some of his workers to weld.

That old Forney welder is one of the most forgiving pieces of equipment you will find as it just doesn't act up on you. I've got a mig and a tig now too but that one still gets used for the heavy duty stuff.

Keep welding on scrap pieces or little projects until you get comfortable enough and your welds hold together well enough along with looking good enough that you are comfortable welding on the truck.

For years all I had was a little cheapie 110 welder with one heat range that took special self starting rods. (Monkey Wards unit) I'd stick pieces together with it exactly how I wanted them and then carry them to my buddy to have him weld them. It cost me a lot of Budweiser for the welding but he did a great job. If you can tack things together it usually isn't hard to find someone who can weld it .

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Phungki

I don’t know if the darkening aspect of the helmet is adjustable. I’ll give it a look today. I realize now that learning to weld in truck panels isn’t the best thing. I seriously didn’t realize how hard it was to see. I was very disappointed and immediately started wondering how I’m going to do the patch panels without throwing money at it which wasn’t the plan. I want the satisfaction of doing it myself. Hopefully finding the right helmet for me us the ticket.
I do wear the cheater glasses. We took out the lense he had in and I used my glasses. Didn’t help me unfortunately. It’s hard to believe they haven’t developed something that blocks what’s harmful without making it so darn dark. I’ll keep trying. I just had to come on here and see what suggestions you guys have. My step dad is a very knowledgeable guy but he needs work on his instructions.
Anyone ever get taught to swim by being thrown in a lake? That’s kind of how he teaches lol. Glad I learned to swim before my mom married him lol.
Thanks guys, have a good one
Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
dsraven

darken down the lense or get a cheap helmet with the right lense shade for the type of welding you're doing. if it was too bright to see then the darkening knob maybe got bumped and it was actually too bright to see. if you weld something and then have spots in your eyes then it is too bright and needs to be a darker shade.
grab some scrap steel, about 1/4" thick, and clean it up with a grinder so you have clean steel on both sides and ends etc. clean is also a good starting point because dirty spatters etc due to contaminants being brought into the weld. play with welding the thick stuff until you figure out the puddle and how to control that. then graduate to the thinner stuff until you get down to the body panel thickness. wear the right clothing as well, it is like being under a sun lamp and you don't want the burn. also, wear gloves and long sleeves, long pants, boots with the pants tucked over them so slag and sparks don't fall into the open boot tops. trust me, it hurts when slag burns into your foot....
good luck, there are lots of youtube videos on welding as well. remember, thin steel means short bursts of weld that will need to be cooled off completely before the next weld is done. otherwise the panel distorts so much you might as well have just bought a new panel to start with.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
dsraven

here is a good video and starting place to set the welder up and how it works. this is a series of youtubes I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KrwmK7df-s
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
dsraven

here is a link to a site that explains welding helmet shades required for different metals, thicknesses and amperage used.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...helmet-for-you

or a more in depth site

https://healthinnovationweekdc.com/w...t-shade-chart/
Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
dsraven

also check the polarity of the machine if swapping back and forth between flux core and gas mig.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Phungki

There are some knobs and switches on the helmet. I definitely wasn’t dressed like that yesterday but it wasn’t in my plan for that day. I’ll remember that when it’s time to get serious.
Thank you everyone
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
rgunlock

Another thing that helps me is to shine a bright light on the pieces you'll be welding.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
MARTINSR

I just don't like the auto darkening helmets, never could get used to it. This is my go to helmet, I have one at work and one at home, you are IN CONTROL you know what I mean?

http://www.accustrike.com/

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Another thing that helps me is to shine a bright light on the pieces you'll be welding.
He beat me to it. I weld outside because of no room in my garage and the fire hazard of a 80 year old wood building and sparks. that helps some but I have have had to put a cloth over the back of my head to keep the sunlight out of the back of the helmet if the sun is right at my back.

Try moving the button to the 5-9 spot from the 9-13 spot and I think that will help a lot. Then remember to move it back when you are done.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
dsraven

another thing to think about is the welding fumes. look inside the helmet after a day of cutting, welding and grinding. you will likely have to give the lens a wipe. guess what, you noggin was right there too so that's what is inside your lungs if you don't wear a welding respirator. the gas for mig welding is what cleans the metal so the weld can be good, it is also in the air around the weld, not consumed by the weld, so be aware that you will be breathing that too. keep your noggin a bit back from the weld to get a better quality air to breathe.
the shade of the lens depends on the amperage and the higher the number the darker the shade so higher amperage would be a higher number due to the arc light emitted. a bright light is handy to keep next to you when welding in low ambient lighting because that way you can see the spot where the mig torch is going to strike the arc. after it is struck then the proper lens shade for the amperage should still be used to protect those eyeballs. we only get one set.
here is a link to a welding site that asks the same question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXm4JtAOuQ

here is another tip on masks and being able to se the weld.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXsDY1lf0s
Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
Phungki

Ok I’ll give that a try. I was trying to weld outside so I had lots of light. I’ll try changing the setting next time and see if that helps. I’ll give those videos a look too and see what I can learn. Maybe I’ll learn to see. Lol
Thanks guys.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #15
Ironworking

Lots of light is not that great if the same light is invading your hood. You need darkness inside the hood. The best way i can describe welding, is your weld should feel like melting a crayon as you go. It should sound like frying an egg.

What are you planning to weld?

A novice should not start on thin body sheet metal. You will most likely just burn a lot of holes in it.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
Troy Sr

I have a Hobart 140 and an auto darkening helmet. My problem is that I can't see through the lens due to light reflecting from behind my head. I've been thinking of making a leather cape to block out the reflection from behind. Has anyone solved this problem and if so how?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #17
Ironworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
I have a Hobart 140 and an auto darkening helmet. My problem is that I can't see through the lens due to light reflecting from behind my head. I've been thinking of making a leather cape to block out the reflection from behind. Has anyone solved this problem and if so how?
That is why most welders wear a baseball style cap and turn it backwards. It helps a little. Velcro (or other attachment) a thin layer of leather to the back of the hood to cover the entire back when welding is the sure fire solution. Dark Knight city!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #18
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
I've been thinking of making a leather cape to block out the reflection from behind. Has anyone solved this problem and if so how?
I had the same problem, plus I have long hair and didn't want the embers landing in my hair (yes, I've set my hair on fire twice) so I got a piece of cheap naugahyde and attached it to the hood with vinyl upholstery plugs.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #19
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworking View Post
Lots of light is not that great if the same light is invading your hood. You need darkness inside the hood. The best way i can describe welding, is your weld should feel like melting a crayon as you go. It should sound like frying an egg.

What are you planning to weld?

A novice should not start on thin body sheet metal. You will most likely just burn a lot of holes in it.
So far, the only definite thing I need to weld will be thin body sheet metal. So I guess I’ll be practicing on something else first.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #20
Ironworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phungki View Post
So far, the only definite thing I need to weld will be thin body sheet metal. So I guess I’ll be practicing on something else first.
Okay. Well, first thing you need to know; when welding thin sheet metal you need a piece of thick copper bar ( say 3" wide and 3/16" thick ) as a backing while attemping to weld. You will also need to find a quick and easy way to hold the CB (copper bar) snug against the metal you are welding and yet quick and easy to move when ready. The long the CB, the better simply because you won't have to move it as often. Yet, it can not be real long. Obviously a 3 foot piece will not fit in small places like a 6 inch piece.

Best of luck there young man!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #21
Ironworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I had the same problem, plus I have long hair and didn't want the embers landing in my hair (yes, I've set my hair on fire twice) so I got a piece of cheap naugahyde and attached it to the hood with vinyl upholstery plugs.
For sure, do not use blue jean material. I can not count how many times i have caught my blue jeans on fire! If there is a tattered place on a pair of jeans, it can and will catch fire the first time some real sparks hit there.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #22
Troy Sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Thanks for the input and for the giggle I had picturing hair on fire!!!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #23
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Same, I can't see well through my auto-darkening helmet but shining the brightest light I have right where I am welding (one of those $4 magnetic ones with like 30 led's from autozone) makes it like night and day...literally.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #24
1project2many

Your father's right about figuring it out if you do enough welding but l would have shaved years off the learning curve if I'd realized what I was missing in the beginning. So here's something that no one told you. Something that no one has ever mentioned around me and something that really took me some time to figure out.

Look at what you're going to weld before you put the helmet down, or before the lens darkens. Stare at it for a few seconds. Look at where the tip of the welder is, where the wire is, where the metal is. Look at the pieces, how they line up, at where they touch and where they don't. Build that picture in your head and keep it there. You need it. Because the first thing you're going to do when the lens gets dark, or when you drop your helmet, is panic.

We're not talking falling off a cliff or car spinning into a tree type panic. We're talking "WTH has happened to my vision?" type panic. Your brain has been relying on vision to interpret what's around and now for a brief time vision is useless. So your brain is going to try finding anything that it knows in order to determine what is happening.

And all sorts of stupid things can happen during those moments. You might stare at a reflection inside your helmet lens. You might see only the bright flash from the welder. You might suddenly start focusing on the noises or smells that are all around you. Everyone's reaction can be a little different. It's the result of the brain screaming "WTF happened to sight???" But if you keep the image you created in your mind, if you keep focusing on that picture of where the wire should be, of what the mig tip and the pieces of metal look like, eventually you'll realize you can actually see what's going on. It will be like looking at a room through a keyhole because all the extra detail you can see in daylight will be missing. But you will be able to see. At first you will want to follow the light because it's tough to make out the details. And you might focus on the sound of the weld occurring instead of the puddle. But if you're practicing on thick pieces then you'll be able to move the wire as slowly as you want while you watch everything that's going on around the weld.

Pull the wire away and watch the arc get wider and make less heat. Move the wire closer and watch the arc dig into the steel. Look for the line between the bright flash of the arc and the dull glow of melting steel. Watch to see how the arc heats the metal then how the puddle flows over the pieces or how it burns into them. Watch to see how the puddle can build up, or how it settles, or how it sags depending on the piece you're welding. Don't worry about actually welding anything at first. Just learn to watch the puddle and how it and the metal around it behaves.

Once you can handle the transition from seeing without restriction to seeing through the dark lens, and once you know that you can recognize details through the helmet while you're welding, then you're ready to learn to weld Phungki-san.

Last edited by 1project2many; 06-20-2019 at 01:58 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #25
Killer Bee

I'll give you the absolute best piece of advice in this thread, here it goes;

DO NOT START WELDING WITH ONLY ADVICE FROM A WEB FORUM

especially one that isn't even a dedicated welding subject matter forum..

find someone that knows how to weld that can at least show you the basics and watch your first welding..

or what would be better is take some classes in adult learning center or community college, etc.

I had the luxury of learning from my dad who was a main frame production welder for Allis-Chalmers Gleaner division..

so I was welding properly and safely at a much younger age than most..

welding is a dangerous trade that can lead to life altering injuries if you don't know what your'e doing..

please take my advice and don't lay a single bead until you find a local mentor or instructor to show you in person how to get started..

good luck!