The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
6768chevylover

54" inch leaf spring!

The PO of my Blazer has thrown me for a loop. There are something's I've had to fix that were not stock and of course had to figure out were they came from. I noticed the other day the blazer sagging in the rear driver side. Figured the springs had enough. Found a guy near by selling 52" leaf spring, so I bought them. After tear down I started installing the springs and found out that the new ones seemed short. Measured them and they were 52" springs. I grabbed the old ones and measured them as well. They measured 54".. Has anyone ever done this? Is this a normal thing? An old school trick? The perches look original with the rivets so I'm sure they're not moved.
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 54" inch leaf spring!

It is a 4x4 trick for more travel, and can be used for a more comfy ride. Especially when combined with a longer shackle.

Only down side is if you plan to lay down big power axle wrap is a bigger issue now. As when your trying to go up a steep hill if your engine can bend your springs against the power it does have. Also supposedly not the most ideal set up for towing due to less axle control compared to shorter versions. Not a deal breaker, but you can feel a difference.

I did it on a 2wd C20 I had that was dolled up for suspension travel. Kind of like a street version of a Raptor. Originally it had a 14FF with 4.56 gears, and a 300hp 283, and a 2500 stall converter. If I foot braked it from a light I could feel the axle wrap up pretty good, and almost a sling shot like feeling off the line. My case was a bit worse with 60" leaf springs.

New trucks use longer leaf springs, but they are 3" wide vs the 2 1/2 or less older trucks have. Which gives them some of the control back, but shock choices play a bigger roll then before.

Like anything it is a comprise, but can work well for many things.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote