The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #2751
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Took my truck out for a short trip today - the only day it's not supposed to rain for a week.

Got her first fill up with my dog, Joey. Yeah, I've become the stereotypical retired guy with tiny dog - oh well, I don't give a damn. My beloved huge blonde Lab, Sooner who was alive at the start of the project liked Joey so it's good.

It's got some bugs. First, I raised it 1" in the front and it's not enough. Sorry guys, I like them low but this is too low for me. I don't want to deal with rubbing tires (it barely does) or diagonal driveway entries. Besides, in this pic it looks too low in back - it's actually level - but I don't care for that either.

The steering effort is improved but still somewhat stiff at low speed. Stiff enough I may refinish the ginormous stock 18" wheel and use it...or...a ginormous stock Belair wheel.

All comments appreciated.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-04-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #2752
Rude Dude

Looking good Dan it is fine leave it level it so sweet!

Best Regards
Rudy
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #2753
Dan in Pasadena

Hey Rudy! Good to hear from you. How's Arizona living? How's your project?

Thanks for the good words. Still plenty to sort out but she's a driver and that's nothing but fun!

Old 03-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #2754
Rude Dude

Same as always retired just busy with life stuff, I did pickup another bed for the big window 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hey Rudy! Good to hear from you. How's Arizona living? How's your project?

Thanks for the good words. Still plenty to sort out but she's a driver and that's nothing but fun!
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 PM   #2755
Dan in Pasadena

VERY nice!

At a stoplight today(!) I had a whole conversation with a guy. He pulled up and offered to trade me his newish BMW 3 series wagon for my truck "straight up". I take it as a compliment.

He asked about a Cameo bed - didn't understand they're fiberglas sides over a conventional bed. I told him I'd come across a set of decent sides for $600 while building my truck and was hot for them until I found a lot (all?) of the stainless trim and other associated stuff is not reproduced and costs a fortune IF you can even find them.

Looking forward to seeing how your bed comes together.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:13 AM   #2756
Dongray

I think it looks amazing as it is but if I had to go up driveways diagonally it would be getting a little lift.
Dongray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:29 AM   #2757
Dan in Pasadena

So I'm trying to figure out the Dakota Digital HDX gauge. I filled her up today and gauge reads a little less than 1/2 tank. I'm wondering if it's as simple as the guy that selected which GM ohm setting to use, selected 0-90 and it should have been 0-30? I'm no sparky so if anyone has a comment, feel free. But if 90 ohms = "full" then wouldn't a full tank register as less than 1/2 because 45 ohms would be half with that type of sensor?

Reading through the instructions (We don't need no DAMN instructions! ha ha) there is also a potential issue that there's supposed to be a separate ground run from the sensor mounting plate to the frame. I'll have to get in there and check but I THINK the two wires to the sensor, one went to the Signal terminal and one went to a ground ON the sensor mount plate, nowhere else.

Anyway, figuring this out and hoping nothing gets damaged til I do. All comments/suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry about the pic being sideways. If anyone can decipher more from this than I can please tell me. There's also a question (to me) why it says two "twisted" wires? Why would twisted be important or am I being a dipsh!t and twisted means something else here? A picture of the sender wiring added if it helps shed any light. To my non electrical-saavy eyes it looks like the in-tank fuel pump and sender grounds are connected together and grounded to the pump mounting flange. No connection to the frame which the instructions SEEM to clearly say is required. Opinions?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-05-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #2758
Rude Dude

I like the Apache metal bed looks good on single eyed monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL_nWVqE_

Quote:
VERY nice!

At a stoplight today(!) I had a whole conversation with a guy. He pulled up and offered to trade me his newish BMW 3 series wagon for my truck "straight up". I take it as a compliment.

He asked about a Cameo bed - didn't understand they're fiberglas sides over a conventional bed. I told him I'd come across a set of decent sides for $600 while building my truck and was hot for them until I found a lot (all?) of the stainless trim and other associated stuff is not reproduced and costs a fortune IF you can even find them.

Looking forward to seeing how your bed comes together.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #2759
Rude Dude

The link might have to copy and paste in browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
I like the Apache metal bed looks good on single eyed monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL_nWVqE_
Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #2760
Kim57

Truck looks really good.
I'm sure you will get all the bugs worked out.
Kim
Old 03-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #2761
svr

Quote:
So I'm trying to figure out the Dakota Digital HDX gauge. I filled her up today and gauge reads a little less than 1/2 tank. I'm wondering if it's as simple as the guy that selected which GM ohm setting to use, selected 0-90 and it should have been 0-30? I'm no sparky so if anyone has a comment, feel free. But if 90 ohms = "full" then wouldn't a full tank register as less than 1/2 because 45 ohms would be half with that type of sensor?

Reading through the instructions (We don't need no DAMN instructions! ha ha) there is also a potential issue that there's supposed to be a separate ground run from the sensor mounting plate to the frame. I'll have to get in there and check but I THINK the two wires to the sensor, one went to the Signal terminal and one went to a ground ON the sensor mount plate, nowhere else.

Anyway, figuring this out and hoping nothing gets damaged til I do. All comments/suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry about the pic being sideways. If anyone can decipher more from this than I can please tell me. There's also a question (to me) why it says two "twisted" wires? Why would twisted be important or am I being a dipsh!t and twisted means something else here? A picture of the sender wiring added if it helps shed any light. To my non electrical-saavy eyes it looks like the in-tank fuel pump and sender grounds are connected together and grounded to the pump mounting flange. No connection to the frame which the instructions SEEM to clearly say is required. Opinions?
Ok yes you have to have the sender grounded, looking at your pics it looks like there is a wire leaving the sender from the ground, i don't know where it goes but if your pump runs it should be grounded. Just went through this on mine. To really know what you have you need a digital ohm meter and a 0-500ohm potentiometer. without pulling the sender out of the tank its alittle harder to get exact but should be able to figure out what you have. With the ohm meter check from the ground terminal to the frame, you should have complete continuity from the frame to the sender. Also your gauge has to be grounded good. If all is good there with the ohm meter check across the ground on the sender and the send terminal, if its a 0-90 sender it should read somewhere close to 90 ohms if it's full, if its about 30 ohms it is a 0-30 ohm sender.
Here is a link to how to use the potentiometer to check what the guage wants. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hingie.862020/

Good luck, mine is not digital it is analog so your milage may vary, not sure why but twisted wires some time makes a difference with digital stuff.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #2762
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
Ok yes you have to have the sender grounded, looking at your pics it looks like there is a wire leaving the sender from the ground, i don't know where it goes but if your pump runs it should be grounded.
Yes, the truck runs so the pump pumps which means the sender is grounded. Is there any such things as grounded ENOUGH? Or grounded incorrectly?

Quote:
Just went through this on mine. To really know what you have you need a digital ohm meter and a 0-500ohm potentiometer. without pulling the sender out of the tank its alittle harder to get exact but should be able to figure out what you have. With the ohm meter check from the ground terminal to the frame, you should have complete continuity from the frame to the sender. Also your gauge has to be grounded good. If all is good there with the ohm meter check across the ground on the sender and the send terminal, if its a 0-90 sender it should read somewhere close to 90 ohms if it's full, if its about 30 ohms it is a 0-30 ohm sender.
Here is a link to how to use the potentiometer to check what the guage wants. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hingie.862020/
I gotta tell you I read and re-read your post and mostly it's Greek to me. Yeah, I'm an electrical dumbsh!t Fortunately, I stopped by the shop today and discussed this with their electrician. He said to stop by and he thinks he'll be able to reach in between the sender and underside of bedwood and determine the ohm rating of the sender. Fortunately, I think they feel sorry for me over the ton of money I've given them and the stupid gas gauge isn't reliable yet.

Quote:
Good luck, mine is not digital it is analog so your milage may vary, not sure why but twisted wires some time makes a difference with digital stuff.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #2763
Dan in Pasadena

Quick status update: Truck hasn't been driven for the last week and a half because I've been under the weather.

Got her out today, wiped her down with a moist microfiber towel and dried with another new one. Used the wax recommended by BlackSheep (Mark). It's called Collinite 845 and it is truly great. I love it. If your paint is new (like mine and his are) or pristinely clean, it makes them butter smooth and shiny. Takes VERY little and is easy on/easy off.

Took her around the corner to the dog park with my small dogs. Only really stepped on it a bit but she's got plenty. Waay more performance than I'll ever need. I'm still not happy with the front wheels rubbing near full lock. I'm getting used to the lack of boost power steering. The huge wheel helps and I'm almost happy to refinish it and leave it as an homage to what this truck once was. I'm just not all the impressed with the many, many $400 aftermarket steering wheels. Some are nice, just not $400 nice!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #2764
Russell Ashley

Dan, your truck is beautiful just like it is. I think if it were mine I might like a couple more inches of ground clearance, especially if there is any issue with the tires rubbing. Have you thought of shrinking your original steering wheel? Cheap and looks right.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #2765
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Dan, your truck is beautiful just like it is.
Thanks, Glen. Very nice of you.

Quote:
I think if it were mine I might like a couple more inches of ground clearance, especially if there is any issue with the tires rubbing.
Yeah, the stance is no longer pleasing to me since I raised the front. It's totally level on flat ground and just isn't "right".

The REAL problem is I bought the rims used as a good "deal", but the offset probably isn't correct. I still haven't measured from the wheel mounting surface to the inner fender & wheel well lip. Besides I don't love these rims. Too "bling-y" and not really my taste. I like my old 15" Torq Thrusts better. They won't fit but I'll find a fix eventually.

Quote:
Have you thought of shrinking your original steering wheel? Cheap and looks right.
Yes. I've searched for a smaller wheel I could use to make mine smaller but they're not as easy to come by as you might think. With the PS as is, I'll stay with the big wheel awhile.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 PM   #2766
Black_Sheep

Quote:

Got her out today, wiped her down with a moist microfiber towel and dried with another new one. Used the wax recommended by BlackSheep (Mark). It's called Collinite 845 and it is truly great. I love it. If your paint is new (like mine and his are) or pristinely clean, it makes them butter smooth and shiny. Takes VERY little and is easy on/easy off.
Glad you like the wax Dan, let's see a pic next time you have the truck out,
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #2767
Dan in Pasadena

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Small potatoes jobs done sorting out the truck. Finally found & installed #10 x 3/4" Oval head wood screws to screw down the marine gas filler - done.

Stopped by the shop and after much fooling around figured out the Tanks, Inc tank came with neither of the two common GM sending unit ohm ratings. Switched the Dakota Digital unit to read a (I think!) 30-240 ohm sensor and it seems to be working now. I'll keep an eye on it.

The PS boost is still too low but I can live with it if I use the stock wheel - painted to match of course. My wheel is in truly bad shape. Waaay back on page 3, post #61 I show a close up of the wheel before I repaired it with JB Weld. The repair hasn't held up and cracks are reappearing, though small. Plus the plastic surface is breaking through to the metal below so I'm think it may be better to just use a new, reproduction stock wheel or big Belair wheel. At least it'll hold up longer than my Mickey Mouse repairs have so far.

A few pics of her in the sun light today. Still think the stance is off. Working on how to resolve that.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #2768
58CameoAZ

Truck Looks really Nice Dan, I personally like the Stance! Just my 2cents tho,

Wish you the Best!
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #2769
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
Truck Looks really Nice Dan, I personally like the Stance! Just my 2cents tho,

Wish you the Best!
Allen
Thanks Allen. It's too low for me - yeah I know that's heresy around here

I like the stance of this beeoootiful green '56. It's running 17's like I am. See how there's about 1" of the rear tire showing and the front slightly lower? That's where I'm headed.

PS: I THINK the green one has U.S. Mags on it, though I could be wrong. I LOVE the center caps but they're definitely not on the U.S. Mag website and I haven't been able to find them so I'm wondering if they were custom made? Anyway, I'm considering a change to these rims at some point.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #2770
Kim57

Your truck looks great.
Kim
Old 03-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #2771
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim.

Anyone know if the green truck's rims are U.S. Mags and/or a source for those center caps?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #2772
57tailgater

This is a really nice truck. I liked it's first incarnation too. Have you ever thought of using a taller profile tire in the back instead of changing wheels? I think that's the challenge when using similar sized tires for front and rear on these trucks, especially if you're not wanting to sit it on the ground. A taller profile would raise it up and provide some rake (which I like too) without having to do anything to the suspension. I think wheelwells need to be filled up. Good luck on figuring it out.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #2773
svr

The green trucks mags look a lot like my American mag Torque Thrust II's on my truck. Mine are 17", not exactly but pretty close.
Attached Images

Last edited by svr; 03-20-2019 at 07:18 PM.
svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #2774
oldman3

Dan, this may not be the same wheel, but my son purchased these, and is happy with them. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mbw-23193/overview/
...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #2775
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the advice guys.

The issue is the offset on these rims is wrong for this truck. I can mess around with spacers and tires or truly get it right with rims that have the correct offset. These trucks actually allow a lot of tire size but only if the wheel/tire is properly located in the wheel well - and mine aren't.

I like the Torq Thrusts, the MB and Coy wheels too but I REALLY like the center caps on the green truck's wheels. If they were custom made, well I suppose I could find a machinist that would make some for me. But my preference would be to find if they're pre made.