The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #51
cadillac_al

Re: Need some help on a motor build

Since head gaskets don't leak much oil if any, I think it is weeping out the intake manifold.(no RTV?) Is this on the end of the head or in the middle?

I went through this once, swore the head gasket was leaking oil, turned out to be intake end seals. That's why I'm pretty confident it isn't your head gaskets.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #52
68post

Is your pump "high pressure" or stock pressure, what grade is the oil - because that's alot of pressure ? You may need to swap oil pump springs to lower your pressure.

Have you re-torqued everything after these heat cycles ?
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #53
johnmiller66

I did use rtv on the ends instead of a gasket. The leak seems to be on the ends and not the middle.
The oil pump is supposed to be 10 percent over what stock would be but I'm not sure which spring is in it. It did come with another spring so I will look and see which is in there. It has the comp cams break in oil in it now.
johnmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #54
68post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmiller66 View Post
I did use rtv on the ends instead of a gasket. The leak seems to be on the ends and not the middle.
The oil pump is supposed to be 10 percent over what stock would be but I'm not sure which spring is in it. It did come with another spring so I will look and see which is in there. It has the comp cams break in oil in it now.
10 percent isn't excessive, but shouldn't be necessary either. I assume the break-in oil is only an approx 10-30 or 10-40 and that doesn't create high pressure - especially when hot !

Better clean it very good and then run it just enough to find your leak(s).

I'll ask again, have you re-torqued all your fasteners ?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #55
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

No oil pressure is pumped through the cylinder heads. Just a return drain on each end. But with the heads torques they cannot leak from there. You more than likely have some wicked valve cover leaks.

I Have a Melling M55A (Standard volume, high pressure) in my SBC and it does put out more oil pressure than I would like. I wasn't even thinking when I bought it since I got it for a song. If I ever tear the engine down again for whatever reason I will install a Melling M55 (Standard volume, standard pressure).

You sure you bought a Melling Select oil pump? Those are $400 dollar billet racing pumps.

Melling pumps to use for SBC:

M55 = standard volume, standard pressure (pretty much stock replacement)
M55A = standard volume, high pressure
M55HV = high volume and high pressure

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #56
68post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
No oil pressure is pumped through the cylinder heads. Just a return drain on each end. But with the heads torques they cannot leak from there. You more than likely have some wicked valve cover leaks.

I Have a Melling M55A (Standard volume, high pressure) in my SBC and it does put out more oil pressure than I would like. I wasn't even thinking when I bought it since I got it for a song. If I ever tear the engine down again for whatever reason I will install a Melling M55 (Standard volume, standard pressure).

You sure you bought a Melling Select oil pump? Those are $400 dollar billet racing pumps.

Melling pumps to use for SBC:

M55 = standard volume, standard pressure (pretty much stock replacement)
M55A = standard volume, high pressure
M55HV = high volume and high pressure

Gary
I don't think anyone thought that the high oil pressure and the leaks were somehow related, 2 different issues being discussed.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #57
johnmiller66

I have not re tourqed anything yet. Just brought it back home and put it on the cradle. The oil I believe is a 10/30 weight.

I'm pretty sure it is a melling select pump. I will have to look up the part number. I bought a high volume pump at first and decided it wasn't needed ans sent it back and bought this one. It was about 120 bucks and came with springs and a hardened shaft and coupler.

I believe the part number on the pump is 10552
johnmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #58
tjsblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmiller66 View Post
I have not re tourqed anything yet. Just brought it back home and put it on the cradle. The oil I believe is a 10/30 weight.

I'm pretty sure it is a melling select pump. I will have to look up the part number. I bought a high volume pump at first and decided it wasn't needed ans sent it back and bought this one. It was about 120 bucks and came with springs and a hardened shaft and coupler.

I believe the part number on the pump is 10552
Yes that is the Melling Select Cast series. They are a quality pump. The 10552 is a 10% + volume pump. Not necessary but not overkill.
I run a 10553. It came with both the pink (70#) and yellow (60#) spring. I installed the yellow.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote