The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
jackson

Re: Guide Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
The issue with the primer is that you might end up sanding off a whole lot more than needed just to see results. Results with guide coat are practically instant.
that makes sense
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #27
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
I use whatever I have lying around. Usually a half-empty can of Krylon that the Mrs. bought for some project around the house.
same here: pink, green, puce.... what ever half can laying around with a partially clear nozzle
if the nozzle is half plugged and sprays sideways or in a stream, just move the can faster

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #28
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
same here: pink, green, puce.... what ever half can laying around with a partially clear nozzle
if the nozzle is half plugged and sprays sideways or in a stream, just move the can faster
Try the dry guidecoat, you will never go back!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
kxmotox247

Is the dry guidecoat only for dry sanding? How does the wetsanding not just wash off the dry guidecoat?
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #30
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Try the dry guidecoat, you will never go back!

Brian
i am actually hoping never to do body work again

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #31
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
Is the dry guidecoat only for dry sanding? How does the wetsanding not just wash off the dry guidecoat?
You wouldn't be wet sanding at the point where your worried about guide coat and filling dips and valleys. Your still removing a good amount of material and wet sanding is not the way to do that. Guide coat is for when your block sanding large areas. Wet sanding is your final step which you should be well past needing a guide coat.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #32
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
You wouldn't be wet sanding at the point where your worried about guide coat and filling dips and valleys. Your still removing a good amount of material and wet sanding is not the way to do that. Guide coat is for when your block sanding large areas. Wet sanding is your final step which you should be well past needing a guide coat.
Great answer, that is it in a nut shell, you want the guide coat so you can CUT it flat. By the time you get to wet sanding you aren't doing it to remove a lot of material like blocking, you have already done all that. The wet sanding is the final sanding you do where you are simply removing some slightly coarser sand scratches, that is ALL you should be doing at that point.

This being said, I have never done it but I think you can still use it and it will work to find sand scratches you need to sand out.

I need to do a little test to find out as I said I have never used it while wet sanding.

Brian

Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #33
lowdownstar
big guy

I have been using high build primer on my truck and the dry 3m guide coat and found that they both work great but for me i've had to block sand the parts like four or even five times because every time i do it, i was still finding low spots. Is this normal?

thanks Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #34
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
I have been using high build primer on my truck and the dry 3m guide coat and found that they both work great but for me i've had to block sand the parts like four or even five times because every time i do it, i was still finding low spots. Is this normal?

thanks Ray
Yup. If you want your paint to be glass its a really long process. If it was fun it wouldn't be called body WORK. Block sanding properly is an extremely long process. It was no big deal to have 100 hours in just block sanding a vehicle. Were talking show quality but still over 100 hours wasnt unusual.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #35
lowdownstar
big guy

thanks now i don't feel stupid for doing it, cableguy....

I don't really mine the work i just want it to look good when done...

Thanks again
Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #36
cableguy0

Quote:
thanks now i don't feel stupid for doing it, cableguy....

I don't really mine the work i just want it to look good when done...

Thanks again
You might feel stupid right now for "wasting" all that time. When the paint is laid down and looks 10 feet thick you will suddenly realize it wasn't a waste to do all that sanding. Painters get all the credit for paint looking good. 95% of it is the guy before the painter than spent the hours upon hours sanding and prep work. Prep work makes the paint job.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #37
lowdownstar
big guy

Thanks for the kind words cableguy, i can't wait to see how it comes out, i need to start a build thread...

Ray
Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #38
Kim57

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words cableguy, i can't wait to see how it comes out, i need to start a build thread...

Ray
Yes you do then you'll be an inspiration to those of us that need a little motivation once in a while.
I just ordered some slick sand and a new gun just to shoot it so I'll be into the block sanding also.
Kim
Old 10-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #39
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Great answer, that is it in a nut shell, you want the guide coat so you can CUT it flat. By the time you get to wet sanding you aren't doing it to remove a lot of material like blocking, you have already done all that. The wet sanding is the final sanding you do where you are simply removing some slightly coarser sand scratches, that is ALL you should be doing at that point.

This being said, I have never done it but I think you can still use it and it will work to find sand scratches you need to sand out.

I need to do a little test to find out as I said I have never used it while wet sanding.

Brian
So you guys don't do any guidecoating when wetsanding? I'm talking about with 600 grit before sealer and base? I understand you guys are using guidecoat when dry sanding to quickly identify highs and lows. I use it there too.
The way was taught was guide coat thru the whole process. The guidecoat when wet sanding isn't so much for leveling but more so for even consistent sanding. And there's always one more scratch or flaw to be found... and it's easier to deal with it at that stage rather than seeing it with shiny base/clear. I'll personally stick with it thru the whole process but will probably try the dry guidecoat sometime to see how it works.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #40
theastronaut

I always use guide coat no matter what I'm sanding. Filler, Slick Sand, urethane high build/surfacer, or single stage/clear when cutting/buffing. You can't really see what you're doing without a guide coat.

I guide coat and wetsand my surfacer with 220 to get it completely flat, then re-guide coat and wetsand with 5-600 to get it smooth enough to paint over. Unless your primer lays out as smooth as paint (usually not possible) then 500 won't remove the texture as easily or quickly as 220. 220 knocks it completely flat, even when using a soft pad on rounded parts- something 500 isn't good at especially if it's not a fresh piece of paper.

For single stage or clear, I use a Sharpie marker to highlight all of the edges and body lines so I can see if I'm sanding too close to them. Then I go over and highlight all of the imperfections that I need to sand out. This way you can see exactly how much you're cutting and you can see if you need to be more careful around edges.

Creases on a door that I buffed. Marked them with a sharpie and watched my sanding pattern to avoid cutting through the clear in the crease.

After buffing.

Sharpie works best for the initial color sanding with 1000 grit since dry guide coat won't stick to shiny paint and spray guide coat will clog finer grit paper. After that you can use dry guide coat or use a Sharpie again.

Last edited by theastronaut; 10-08-2014 at 05:17 PM.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #41
MARTINSR

Let me make something clear on the use of a Sharpie.

DON'T EVER, EVER, EVER USE A SHARPIE BEFORE PRIMER, PAINT OR CLEAR.

Just in case I didn't make myself clear.

DON'T EVER, EVER, EVER USE A SHARPIE BEFORE PRIMER PAINT OR CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!

The ink in that Sharpie WILL bleed thru paint like I have never seen anything bleed thru paint in my life. You could write your name on the door and paint SS urethane paint over it and that Sharpie will come thru so clear you would swear someone walked in the booth after the paint dried and wrote on it!

You don't want to use Sharpie for ANYTHING around the car before paint. You can't believe how easy it is to accidently leave some and have it come to bite you in the butt.

If you are experienced and have a good eye for details sure, you can mark stuff for cutting or what not, but you have to be VERY aware of it.

Brian

Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #42
theastronaut

What he said! ^^^^ I should have mentioned that in my first post. I've made the mistake of painting over Sharpie marks and had to start over because it bled through.

It works well for guide coating clear or single stage only AFTER it's painted. And I wouldn't use it on fresh paint either, let it cure for a week or two- the solvent in the pen can soak in and cause the paint to slightly swell or do something weird that leave marks after it's buffed. Use on very dry paint only, not fresh paint! We've had no problems when it's used on PPG paint that's dried for over a week. No promises on what it'll do with other paint.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #43
lowdownstar
big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Yes you do then you'll be an inspiration to those of us that need a little motivation once in a while.
I just ordered some slick sand and a new gun just to shoot it so I'll be into the block sanding also.
Kim
What did you buy for a gun Kim? i just picked up a new commpressor so now i can get myself a good gun and want to buy something better then what i have.

Thanks Ray
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #44
Kim57

Quote:
What did you buy for a gun Kim? i just picked up a new commpressor so now i can get myself a good gun and want to buy something better then what i have.

Thanks Ray
I bought this one.
Amazon.com: TCP Global? Brand Professional New... Amazon.com: TCP Global? Brand Professional New...
Not sure how good it is but should work for the slick sand as it has an 2.5 nozzle.
Kim
Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #45
Hogshooter

Its amazing how far a thread started about guide coat can go. I have some lacquer primer left from the days of lead and dinosaurs that I like to over reduce and add contrasting basecoat that has been left over from repair jobs. It doesn't clog sandpaper like the aerosol paint will. Dry guide coat will work when wet sanding I like it pretty well, it is very convenient. I would like to add you should never use any kind of ink on the body filler metal or primer, pencil is not so bad just NO ink.
Hogshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #46
rgunlock

Ouch, wish I'd read this particular thread a while back. I've already made a couple of the "NEVER DO THIS" type things on my build, like using a red sharpie to highlight bare metal I need to do work on. Guess I better go back to my build thread and point out my bad ideas.

Very good info here - thanks guys!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote