The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Kim57

Guide Coat

I did a forum search but didn't find the answer I was looking for.
What are you guys using for a guide coat?
Is one brand better/safer than another depending on what kind of paint you use?
Thanks for any reply's.
Kim
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Guide Coat

I always used the 3m stuff that comes with an applicator if actually using guide coat. I have also used cheap black spray paint. It all accomplishes the same thing.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
tinydb84

They use SEM in my bodyshop class
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
kcsa75

I use whatever I have lying around. Usually a half-empty can of Krylon that the Mrs. bought for some project around the house.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Kim57

Thanks guys.
I'm going to assume that no matter what is used it all has to be sanded off anyways.
If there are any low spots that need to be filled do you just leave the guide coat in them and fill over it?
Kim
Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
cg285

use the dry stuff and don't worry about it
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
use the dry stuff and don't worry about it
Will do.
Thanks.
Kim
Old 10-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
jackson

why not use two different color primer
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
why not use two different color primer
Partly because of cost and ease of application.
I'm doing this in my garage and want to keep the spraying to a minimum.
Kim
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
hugger6933

I use the dry 3M black with the powder puff looking applicator. I use the black because I use it on top of Omni high build primer [grey] MP272. That stuff last for a long time. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I use the dry 3M black with the powder puff looking applicator. I use the black because I use it on top of Omni high build primer [grey] MP272. That stuff last for a long time. Jim
I've been spraying grey primer so I plan on using the black also.
Thanks for the input.
Kim
Old 10-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
IIGW

i use left over base coat from a different paint job..
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
pvienneau

I bought some the other day for $7.00 at my local supply shop KWIK AUTO BODY SUPPLY. They have 2 sizes, this is the smaller I think 14 Oz

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
hugger6933

I want to touch on something that Jackson commented on, [the use of two colors of primer]. I do use two colors, I use black epoxy DPLF90 or its little Omni brother MP17[5] I think is black and then the grey MP282 high build grey on top of the epoxy and the body spots [filler] but there are times that call for the guide coat because the black primer is several mils down below the surface of where we are now.
Also the main reasons I use the guide coats are no drying times. When I am getting this close like we all do I use a two part putty [it sands so smooth]and it dries very quickly moving things along a little faster so the dry powder helps there as well. Jim
Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
MARTINSR

A few thoughts on guide coat.

First off, the two different color primers, I am sorry, it makes absolutely no sense what so ever to me.

You want to KNOW what is high and low with a glance, where there is guide coat it's LOW. If you have a different color primer, where the primer is left, it may or may not be low? What sense does that make?

I can't make this clear enough, we all do things different and someone may do that with all the skills of a master and do it just as fast as me and all that, I am just talking personally, it makes no sense to me and would confuse the living hell out of me.

The dry guide coat is the cats meow if you ask me. I will never go back to spraying an aerosol. It's fine, it will go into the finest of scratches so when it's gone, you KNOW you are good to go.

Ok, back to it's use. I have seen guys guide coat something then "Block" it and all the guide coat is gone, then someone else guide coats it and blocks it again and there are spots of guide coat all over showing low spots!

The method of blocking with the guide coat is simple, it's a thought you need in your head, that thought is you WANT to find low spots! What do you mean you ask, why do I WANT to find more work, well if you don't WANT to, you won't. And thus you will candy coat how the work looks and you will ignore it and then when it's painted you will see it then, it's your choice.

You CUT the primer with NEW, SHARP, QUALITY paper. You CUT it FLAT knocking off the high spots. If a spot of guide coat remains, don't try to eliminated it, don't "block" it off without understanding if it REALLY is lower than you think. Be THANKFUL you see that guide coat, now you can fix it and have a flat panel.

I personally have always enjoyed blocking primer (on body work I have done that is) that anal final touch is a blast to me. It is finding mistakes BEFORE it's too late. It's gentle finese I just dig it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
A few thoughts on guide coat.

First off, the two different color primers, I am sorry, it makes absolutely no sense what so ever to me.

You want to KNOW what is high and low with a glance, where there is guide coat it's LOW. If you have a different color primer, where the primer is left, it may or may not be low? What sense does that make?

I can't make this clear enough, we all do things different and someone may do that with all the skills of a master and do it just as fast as me and all that, I am just talking personally, it makes no sense to me and would confuse the living hell out of me.

The dry guide coat is the cats meow if you ask me. I will never go back to spraying an aerosol. It's fine, it will go into the finest of scratches so when it's gone, you KNOW you are good to go.

Ok, back to it's use. I have seen guys guide coat something then "Block" it and all the guide coat is gone, then someone else guide coats it and blocks it again and there are spots of guide coat all over showing low spots!

The method of blocking with the guide coat is simple, it's a thought you need in your head, that thought is you WANT to find low spots! What do you mean you ask, why do I WANT to find more work, well if you don't WANT to, you won't. And thus you will candy coat how the work looks and you will ignore it and then when it's painted you will see it then, it's your choice.

You CUT the primer with NEW, SHARP, QUALITY paper. You CUT it FLAT knocking off the high spots. If a spot of guide coat remains, don't try to eliminated it, don't "block" it off without understanding if it REALLY is lower than you think. Be THANKFUL you see that guide coat, now you can fix it and have a flat panel.

I personally have always enjoyed blocking primer (on body work I have done that is) that anal final touch is a blast to me. It is finding mistakes BEFORE it's too late. It's gentle finese I just dig it.

Brian
yep, same thing i said, minus the "enjoyed" and plus more words.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
yep, same thing i said, minus the "enjoyed" and plus more words.
A college degree can't be gotten in one day.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #18
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
A college degree can't be gotten in one day.

Brian
yep, hahaha
Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Kim57

Great info here.
I'm glad I asked the question.
Picked up some 3M dry guide coat today and I'm going to do some watching of videos to see how to use it and block the proper way.
Thanks again guys.
Kim
Old 10-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
hugger6933

This all circles back to one of my tag lines that I sometimes end my posts with, there is a reason they call this body work and not body fun! Yes it is true that some of us enjoy the mind numbing loneliness you can spend and the concentration on blocking panel after panel. Some think it therapy some think it punishment some think might thought it unneeded yet and that led to the craze of things like rat rod patina shop trucks, and the like. Good luck and Happy Sanding. Jim
Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #21
jackson

=

not wanting to argue sensei. just trying to learn. say if you have black primer under grey and you use a hard block and your sanding and a black ring appears. why would you say the center of that ring may or may not be low. with all respect, just asking . thanks
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
cableguy0

The issue with the primer is that you might end up sanding off a whole lot more than needed just to see results. Results with guide coat are practically instant.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #23
hugger6933

The main reason I use the two colors of primer on my stuff is to tell me at what point I am on that panel at that time. I have three project trucks going along side of all of the late model wrecks that go through my shop and those late models take a main president over the old iron. So it is easy for me to leave a panel after some work and go back to it and with the glance at the primer I can know where I am and what I have to do. If it is black I know it has to have 180 or 220 grit and another couple coats of epoxy then the high build. If it is in high build then in the past when I last worked on that part I was lucky enough to have that close to using on one of the trucks.
Also if you really think of the two colors as the "guide" you have more problems anyway because I say 2 to 3 coats of epoxy, then the filler then 2 more coats of epoxy to go back on the filler and to cover the bare metal that will happen during the filler prep. Then 2 to 3 coats of high build. Then block sand then 2 to 3 more. OK, if you really good at the filler work and you get it all on the first wipe and block[witch is rare] you are looking at 4 to 6 coats of HIGH BUILD stuff before you get back to the color change. So if I ever said the reason I used the two colors of primer was it was a guide coat type thing I'm apologize that is misleading.
To that end I have used both the spay and the dry type guide coat I have no horse in this race other than my preference and I do like the way the dry works over the spray. Good luck and happy sanding. Jim
Old 10-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #24
dwcardfan

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I was wondering Hugger how you liked using the omni high build and are you using base coat clear coat as the paint?
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcardfan View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I was wondering Hugger how you liked using the omni high build and are you using base coat clear coat as the paint?
Feel free to start a new post. That's what this forum is here for. If you have a question ask it openly and start a new thread. That way its easier for the next guy to find the info.