The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

What did you get done this week 10/19/2014 edition

I thought I was going to have an uneventful week truck wise but I went and sold my 72 El Camino. Then fellow board member ScottH called me and asked if I could bring in a truck for him. I was playing around looking for parts for my plow rig and I said "sure" and then invited him to come look with me. Friday night we went and picked up his truck and then drove to this other fellows house who was parting a relatives truck. Basically it was a father son project that went south and they lost interest ( I've had that happen to me) but I bought a rolling 74 chassis with the motor and trans , a good 6' fleetside bed, a 74 hood several boxes worth of miscellaneous parts so now I have almost enough to build a 74 short wide truck. I have a cab I bought from another member here. Well I had seen a truck on Ebay and asked Scott his opinion on it. He said go for it , which I did. So all in all I bought a truck and a half this week and will be stripping the old plow truck to make a new plow truck outta the blue/ grey one and will be building a 74 short wide. That I may flip or I may keep I dunno.. How about you all?
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
crazeetxn

Re: What did you get done this week 10/19/2014 edition

Took my '86 to the shop It was out of necessity. Had it all put back together and couldn't get it tuned right. Ran, but rough. He said I had tightened the rockers a little to tight when I reinstalled the heads. Fair enough. He's also changing the oil pan gasket and installing some new mufflers. Been sittin for a year and one of them rusted through. Sounded real good...LOL

Hope to have it back tomorrow!
crazeetxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
cochino12
It followed me home?

I don't post much on the site anymore but I'm glad this thread is back. Once again I didn't do anything truck worthy but collect some parts and walk around my CC. I did get the rest of the bag parts for my Deville though.
Attached Images

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
LilD

I bought an 82 long bed and got the engine mostly degreased and changed the oil. Changing oil usually isn't a big deal but when a gorilla over tightens the drain pan bolt and oil filter it becomes a job.
LilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
D13

Discovered the glow plug controller isn't the problem with the low and flickering voltage on the 87. Time for a new 120A alternator - OUCH!

Removed and charged the battery in the 77 (been sitting since 2010!), rediscovering in the process that the first 4 inches of the inner fender is missing (rerminal screws dropped go right to the ground - easier to find). Installed new screws with extensions so I can jump start it next time. A splash of gas in the carb and it fired right up up, backed up about 3 feet and shelled the rear U joint. Pulled the shaft, spent an entire day cleaning 37 years of caked grease off the slip yoke and shaft ends. Straightened out the screw on collar. The entire underneath was coated with grease! Gonna spend a day degreasing and painting the shaft.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

More work on the '78 K30. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and cleaned a ton of grease off the valve covers and intake. Still have to work more on the intake but that is a slow process getting the crud off. On the valve covers I also swapped out the old retaining bolts for studs and wing-bolts. Makes life simpler. Added some wire looms to replace the old fence wire that was holding the spark plug wires and replaced the wires and plugs while I was at it. Fixed the choke on the carb and now the beast runs like a champ!