The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Looking through the parts board today ...

Just remember: Asking and getting are two different things. I see a whole lotta askin, and not a lotta gettin

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #27
atog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I wasn't calling anyone in particular out when I started this post, it was just an overall observation on where the parts prices are going.

I see the Barett Jackson effect happening. Someone shoots for the moon pricing their part, someone really needs that part and jumps on it at the moon launch price afraid to lose it.

Now everyone feels their stuff is worth more because someone that is probably in a better financial place in their life than the average Joe has established a new price point for the 1967 Chevy Truck gotta have widget.

For some reason though when I go to sell the same widget the market for them has gone dry lol
I agree Once one or two of the same items sell high they never seem to go back down. If I need it or want it I try to grab it before it goes any higher. It’s hard to believe we used to buy these trucks as drivers for 300-1000 in high school for drivers. I liked them a lot better before they got so popular
atog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #28
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atog View Post
It’s hard to believe we used to buy these trucks as drivers for 300-1000 in high school for drivers. I liked them a lot better before they got so popular
I feel the same about midyear Corvettes (1963-1967). In 1968 I bought a '65 roadster (365hp) for around $3500. In the early Seventies I bought a nice '66 coupe (350hp, factory air) for about $2800. Both cars are now long gone. I figured I could always buy another at some point. Years passed and now the prices have skyrocketed. At least I have the memories.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #29
special-K
Special Order

That always get another thing was our reality for most our lives, up until recent years. I sold my '63 Riviera to fund truck projects. I had it many years but was ok with letting it go because I figured since it was sunny day driver I'd rather have a convertible and could get one later. There's a whole list of vehicles I always wanted to have and figured one day I would, never worried about it, plenty of time left in life. Now this stuff is serious business, money wise. The days of throwing a few hundred ($1,000-a few) together to go out and snatch up a project are gone.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #30
abig84

Quote:
I wasn't calling anyone in particular out when I started this post, it was just an overall observation on where the parts prices are going.

I see the Barett Jackson effect happening. Someone shoots for the moon pricing their part, someone really needs that part and jumps on it at the moon launch price afraid to lose it.

Now everyone feels their stuff is worth more because someone that is probably in a better financial place in their life than the average Joe has established a new price point for the 1967 Chevy Truck gotta have widget.

For some reason though when I go to sell the same widget the market for them has gone dry lol
I'm sure all these tv shows are a major part of it. Back about 15 years ago I used to do storage unit auctions. Wasn't uncommon to buy entire units for $10-$20. Buying someone's worthless junk was fun for me, spend a few days moving and sorting all that garbage just to make your money back and keep a few things and throw 96% of it out. Soon as storage wars came out it went from 5 people showing to 50 and 20 bucks to 500 as dreamers that watched the show think they are going to find a musket or gold coins.

The worst in my area are the square body prices. Prices in most cases have surpassed the prices of 50s and 60s trucks and I just can't wrap my mind around it. Everything is rare or hard to find but yet you can pretty much find any square body part you can think of at any time. Come to think of i think they did pass the older trucks. I bought my 52 for $1300, good luck finding a complete 80s truck for that price. I been looking for. 80s truck for like a year and just can't do the prices.

But for some reason 80s fords are still cheap. Can get a complete running not rotted out truck for 1500. Hopefully it doesn't turn to that, I don't think I would get a 80s but I don't mind the late 70s fords, just have to put a chevy motor in it
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #31
atog

In the mid 80s I had the opportunity to purchase a Apollo white and black gsx from a friend for $7000 and turned it down. That same care sold at Barrett Jackson a few years ago for $158,000 UNBELIEVABLE
atog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #32
Boog
laying low

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #33
Grumpy old man

You can blame cash for clunkers for a lot of this ,Have you seen the prices of a solid old van or station wagon now ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #34
Ironhorse

Cash for Clunkers did remove a LOT of these truck from off the roads, those sitting in the hedge rows and tree lines, back yards, etc. Also the price of scrap steel several years ago was much higher than it is now. I used to see a lot of older cars, trucks, combines and field implements (here in Kansas anyway) refrigerators, stoves and almost anything steel being hauled to the scrap steel yards in Wichita. Not so much now but still on occasion. All those factors put a limit on the supply of "buildible" trucks and the parts that can be supplied for such by visiting a "salvage yard" if there is such a thing anymore. Most yards in Wichita have nothing going back beyond mid to late 90s except a few skeletons and bones. Those that remain are more of an "automotive parts reclamation center" in that extent.

Thus, one of the few remaining areas to obtain parts leaves the inter-net which is nation and world wide in its content. Swap meets are also a possibility but even there the good parts are few and a lot of rusted out over priced scrap. Good quality GM original parts continue to be in demand and NOS continues to be found less and less with each passing year. If you want it and need it then your options are limited. Buy it and use it or do without.

Glad I had a love for these trucks before the days of BJ, Mecum, Russo & Steele auctions and the lot. Bought my rusted out POS long bed 4x4 for what it was and what it finally became after lot of effort, time, $$ and beer. May not be up to BJ standards but I still love it as much today as I did years back and still turns heads and gets the question asked:
Hey Bud, that truck for sale? Answer: Nope, but thanks for asking.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #35
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I'm hanging on to my extreme bend hooks until I retire. They'll help fund my account.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #36
Boog
laying low

The high prices are great for the sellers. Not good for us buyers. Everything seems way too high these days. At least to us older guys they are.
Hind sight being what it is we ALL would have hung onto some of our vehicles and parts years ago when they weren't worth as much.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #37
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yeah, if I had all the money I spent on hot rods and such, I would have used it to buy hot rods and such.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #38
Boog
laying low

I like the way you think.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #39
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Yeah, if I had all the money I spent on hot rods and such, I would have used it to buy hot rods and such.
Imagine that!!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #40
flashed

Im selling my stash of good parts to fund my LS Swap , mostly local sales as I hate the hassle of shipping .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #41
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Cash for Clunkers did remove a LOT of these truck from off the roads, those sitting in the hedge rows and tree lines, back yards, etc. Also the price of scrap steel several years ago was much higher than it is now. I used to see a lot of older cars, trucks, combines and field implements (here in Kansas anyway) refrigerators, stoves and almost anything steel being hauled to the scrap steel yards in Wichita. Not so much now but still on occasion. All those factors put a limit on the supply of "buildible" trucks and the parts that can be supplied for such by visiting a "salvage yard" if there is such a thing anymore. Most yards in Wichita have nothing going back beyond mid to late 90s except a few skeletons and bones. Those that remain are more of an "automotive parts reclamation center" in that extent.

Thus, one of the few remaining areas to obtain parts leaves the inter-net which is nation and world wide in its content. Swap meets are also a possibility but even there the good parts are few and a lot of rusted out over priced scrap. Good quality GM original parts continue to be in demand and NOS continues to be found less and less with each passing year. If you want it and need it then your options are limited. Buy it and use it or do without.

Glad I had a love for these trucks before the days of BJ, Mecum, Russo & Steele auctions and the lot. Bought my rusted out POS long bed 4x4 for what it was and what it finally became after lot of effort, time, $$ and beer. May not be up to BJ standards but I still love it as much today as I did years back and still turns heads and gets the question asked:
Hey Bud, that truck for sale? Answer: Nope, but thanks for asking.
When scrap prices hit $250 a ton is when it seems to have all started around here anyways. Used to be able to get rusty junk trucks for free as most people would have to pay or get nothing to get rid of them. Shortly after the scrap prices went up people wanted $500 for what used to be free. And every junk yard scrapped all their big vehicles. I remember going to my favorite yard and the entire chevy truck/van section was completely wiped out

I guess this happens to every generation. I bet in the 70s and 80s people sold off their 69 camaros or gto judges for a few hundred bucks
Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #42
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
When scrap prices hit $250 a ton is when it seems to have all started around here anyways. Used to be able to get rusty junk trucks for free as most people would have to pay or get nothing to get rid of them. Shortly after the scrap prices went up people wanted $500 for what used to be free. And every junk yard scrapped all their big vehicles. I remember going to my favorite yard and the entire chevy truck/van section was completely wiped out

I guess this happens to every generation. I bet in the 70s and 80s people sold off their 69 camaros or gto judges for a few hundred bucks
When scrap prices were up that high I hauled in my F800 auger truck that i had been trying to sell on Craigs list. Had been on over a year with no serious interest. It only had 90K miles, automatic Cat diesel and AC. Had it listed for 2K dollars and could not move it. Took it to the scrap yard and the gave me $2800 and I got to keep my auger bit that was on it.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #43
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
When scrap prices were up that high I hauled in my F800 auger truck that i had been trying to sell on Craigs list. Had been on over a year with no serious interest. It only had 90K miles, automatic Cat diesel and AC. Had it listed for 2K dollars and could not move it. Took it to the scrap yard and the gave me $2800 and I got to keep my auger bit that was on it.
My work did the same thing we had a old Ford bucket truck and a utility truck. Tried selling them for 800 bucks and couldn't move them. We drove them both to the scrap yard and got almost 900 a piece

and just as I been bad mouthing the chevy truck prices just found one locally for $600. Body not to bad, motor junk. So may be bringing home one tomorrow

When I called he said someone was in their way to look at it and didn't want it. Kinda makes me wonder why lol. Probably no floors
Old 07-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #44
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
I feel your pain! Started getting rid of a 20 year collection and not getting the same prices I see others getting. Went swap meet shopping at a big car show here and literally laughed out loud at some of the prices I saw.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote