The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #26
argonaut

Re: The Brown Turd

Cool project!

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #27
Thebrownturd

A few weeks ago I began to assemble my seats right after the upholstery came in the mail.
Attached Images

Thebrownturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #28
Thebrownturd

finished
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #29
7dee2

Looks great, I'd plant my butt on that cushy bench seat!
72 Cheyenne/K30 Super 133" DRW SOLD Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@6dee7-7dee2
7dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #30
swamp rat

Ya did good!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #31
cmabolt

Sweet seat! Nice work.

Chris
Old 07-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #32
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Hopefully this hasn't been answered already, but where did you get the new cover for the seat?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #33
Thebrownturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Hopefully this hasn't been answered already, but where did you get the new cover for the seat?
They were ordered from CarandTruckUpoulstery.com I asked for a different color than offered for 67-72 and they sent it but, there is a no return policy for "custom colors" as they called it. They fit well, a little batting helped fill out the cover since the old foam was a little saggy.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #34
rgunlock

Nice truck! Looks like you are doing a great job on the projects you've tackled so far.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #35
Thebrownturd

Over the weekend I finished putting up my paint booth and installed some fans for intake and exhaust. Getting closer to paint!
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #36
DWilbur

I have found in the past making spray booth out of visqueen works well you just want to pull air out of it and install filter fabric or screen at the bottom about 1' off the floor for air to come in at opposite sides. make sure the floor is clean or dust will get in the paint.

Last edited by DWilbur; 08-26-2015 at 10:23 PM.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #37
Thebrownturd

here are the belts I got from seatbealtpalnet.com
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #38
Thebrownturd

I finished up the body work and got it in some primer. Blocked with 400 and wet sanded with 600.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #39
Thebrownturd

This afternoon I finished painting the 3rd coat of clear. Not perfectly smooth but I think a cut and buff will make it real purdy.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #40
Thebrownturd

Not too bad for my first paint job ever. There are only a few imperfections in the base, but it is good enough for me. I was pretty difficult at first till I figured out how to correctly adjust the gun.
Anyway, I'll be proud that I can tell every one I did it all myself.
I am glad it turned out pretty decent, thanks to everyone's help in the paint and body section and everywhere else.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #41
cmabolt

More pics! and congrats on paint...

Chris
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #42
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

I just finished my first paint job last weekend also! I'm sure your orange peel will sand out. From what I gather on Orange peel, it happens from having the gun too far away, too little of air pressure, or putting it on too light. Seems the key is walking the super fine line of putting it on as heavy as you can without having it run. I really didn't want orange peel so I lathered my clear on pretty thick. I only got a few minor runs but virtually no orange peel! This is my finish straight off the gun!

If you end up unsatisfied after you sand, you can always do a flow coat. Thats where you sand the whole thing down with something like 1000 grit or so and then put another couple wet coats if clear on.

If you are anything like me tho, a good part of the reason why you attempted your own paint job was to get some experience and learn how to paint! And again if your anything like me, you learned a TON and your next paint job will rival that of a pro! Congrats!
Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #43
Thebrownturd

I defiantly got the orange peel look really bad. The lighting wasn't great and I rushed the last coat of clear(bad idea). When I paint the cab I might do it outside so I can see better and have room to move around.

The bed might need a good sanding and another coat once the truck goes back together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #44
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

I went and bough eight 4' fluorescent twin tube lights for my garage and was surprised about how little light that was... Another thing that surprised me was how quickly the clear fog made it about impossible to see through my safety glasses! Lucky I had a few sets and changed them between coats! The primer and color didn't do that. Just the clear. Anyway, I'm sure you can save that bed by sanding as long as you got enough on there and really, worst case, a couple more coats after sanding will make it perfect.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #45
Thebrownturd

Quote:
I went and bough eight 4' fluorescent twin tube lights for my garage and was surprised about how little light that was... Another thing that surprised me was how quickly the clear fog made it about impossible to see through my safety glasses! Lucky I had a few sets and changed them between coats! The primer and color didn't do that. Just the clear. Anyway, I'm sure you can save that bed by sanding as long as you got enough on there and really, worst case, a couple more coats after sanding will make it perfect.
Thanks. Your other truck turned out perfect. I am bummed that it wasn't as good as I thought last night.
My paint booth was in the back of my grandpas steel building and the only light was from the open garage doors a few drop lights. It also didn't help that my googles would fog up and I was painting almost blind like you were saying. Hopefully the weather will stay nice so I can finish up the rest of the truck.

I think once it is all back together I will sand and put on the clear. That way I can match the panels so some don't shine more than others
Old 10-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #46
Thebrownturd

Quote:
I just finished my first paint job last weekend also! I'm sure your orange peel will sand out. From what I gather on Orange peel, it happens from having the gun too far away, too little of air pressure, or putting it on too light. Seems the key is walking the super fine line of putting it on as heavy as you can without having it run. I really didn't want orange peel so I lathered my clear on pretty thick. I only got a few minor runs but virtually no orange peel! This is my finish straight off the gun!

If you end up unsatisfied after you sand, you can always do a flow coat. Thats where you sand the whole thing down with something like 1000 grit or so and then put another couple wet coats if clear on.

If you are anything like me tho, a good part of the reason why you attempted your own paint job was to get some experience and learn how to paint! And again if your anything like me, you learned a TON and your next paint job will rival that of a pro! Congrats!
If you don't mind can you tell me your setup, because yours turned out beautifully and I am still sanding out orange peel. Things like psi, fan height, material knob adjustment, gun tip size, ect.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #47
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

I'll help in any way I can! Just remember, I'm no expert.

As I recall I was averaging 28psi. It fluctuated a lot tho! I was constantly turning it up and down as the pressure in the compressor built and dropped. But when it was at a constant 28 I was good to go. The fan I ran "90%". Basically I wound it all the way out and then back in just until I could see it started to close up. On my gun full fan was only like 2 turns out or something like that anyway. As I recall I think I was 3 turns out on the fluid. And I was using a 1.3 tip. The key to me is definitely allowing yourself to put it on heavier than you think you should, all while trying to avoid runs.

It might sound stupid but one thing that helped me beyond measure was watching a guys videos on YouTube called the gunman. More specifically his gunman raw channel. It's mostly just raw footage on a helmet mounted go pro and you can watch him as he lays down clear that turns into sheets of glass. After studying his videos and taking mental snapshots of his rate of application in conjunction with his other how to videos where he actually explains his techniques was probably one of the biggest factors in me getting food results for a first timer.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #48
Thebrownturd

y5mgisi, thanks for the reply. I have a lot of sanding to do before I can paint. I had to start with 600 just to get it relatively smooth the switched to 1000. My problem is I have no idea how to tell if I burnt through to base, I think I am still good. Also I will watch some more videos. for some reason I tend not to enough research on something until after I mess it up, but hey, that's part of the process I guess.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #49
Thebrownturd

The wheels finally got finished
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #50
Thebrownturd

Quote:
I'll help in any way I can! Just remember, I'm no expert.

As I recall I was averaging 28psi. It fluctuated a lot tho! I was constantly turning it up and down as the pressure in the compressor built and dropped. But when it was at a constant 28 I was good to go. The fan I ran "90%". Basically I wound it all the way out and then back in just until I could see it started to close up. On my gun full fan was only like 2 turns out or something like that anyway. As I recall I think I was 3 turns out on the fluid. And I was using a 1.3 tip. The key to me is definitely allowing yourself to put it on heavier than you think you should, all while trying to avoid runs.

It might sound stupid but one thing that helped me beyond measure was watching a guys videos on YouTube called the gunman. More specifically his gunman raw channel. It's mostly just raw footage on a helmet mounted go pro and you can watch him as he lays down clear that turns into sheets of glass. After studying his videos and taking mental snapshots of his rate of application in conjunction with his other how to videos where he actually explains his techniques was probably one of the biggest factors in me getting food results for a first timer.
Thanks. The "Gunman" on youtube was actually very helpful in explaining what to and what not to do. I have another question for you y5mgisi. Did you use a high solids clear and did you use and reducer?