The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #1
52ratrod

Brake Question for S10 frame swap

Just had a question about my build and figured if I was ever to get a answer this would be the place. I'm using a 85 S10 and want to do the blazer big brake conversion. I'm going to use a drop spindle, Hub/bearing, rotor and calipers from the 98-05 blazer set up.

Question is the inlets on the calipers are in different positions. Can I still use the stock S10 flex hose set up? Will the line reach?
52ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: Brake Question for S10 frame swap

for the trucks: the hoses changed in 91, and again in 98. the calipers are also different, I think they changed in 88. the difference in the 90 to 91 lines was only where the flex hose mounts on the frame side. the 90 uses a threaded mount in a round hole, the 91 uses a hex mount in a 6 pointed hole with a clip. I do not know what the older caliper/hose looks like because I try to stick to newer donors with the 4.3.

The 98+ blazer hose WILL NOT FIT the S10 truck hardlines, it is a different fitting size, unless you cut the hardline and put the larger blazer fitting on.

I have done the swap with a 98 and a 99 s10 truck to 98+ blazer brakes. on one I needed longer hoses (ONLY because I used longer control arms) and I used hoses from a 88-98 chevy fullsize. in both cases before I used longer control arms the s10 truck hoses bolted right to the blazer calipers, just flipped. no issues with length.

but for an 85, you may have to just try it. it might be possible to switch to 98+ s10 truck hoses and mounts, which as stated above work. you would need a pair of the hex frame mounts mentioned above and a couple clips.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
mr48chev

I've fought that before/after thing on brakes on GM rigs when I was doing brakes every day back years ago. That was on stock rigs.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
52ratrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
for the trucks: the hoses changed in 91, and again in 98. the calipers are also different, I think they changed in 88. the difference in the 90 to 91 lines was only where the flex hose mounts on the frame side. the 90 uses a threaded mount in a round hole, the 91 uses a hex mount in a 6 pointed hole with a clip. I do not know what the older caliper/hose looks like because I try to stick to newer donors with the 4.3.

The 98+ blazer hose WILL NOT FIT the S10 truck hardlines, it is a different fitting size, unless you cut the hardline and put the larger blazer fitting on.

I have done the swap with a 98 and a 99 s10 truck to 98+ blazer brakes. on one I needed longer hoses (ONLY because I used longer control arms) and I used hoses from a 88-98 chevy fullsize. in both cases before I used longer control arms the s10 truck hoses bolted right to the blazer calipers, just flipped. no issues with length.

but for an 85, you may have to just try it. it might be possible to switch to 98+ s10 truck hoses and mounts, which as stated above work. you would need a pair of the hex frame mounts mentioned above and a couple clips.

So will the 98 s10 mount work on the 85 frame? Or do you need to modify or just easier to build new. Easiest way to do this would get a 98 s10 complete fuel line kit?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52ratrod View Post
So will the 98 s10 mount work on the 85 frame? Or do you need to modify or just easier to build new. Easiest way to do this would get a 98 s10 complete fuel line kit?
the frames, aside from some differences in the center over the years (boxing, trans mounts), are the same 82-03. so I have no doubt a 98 brake mount will fit an early frame. in fact, saying it out loud, the last truck I did was an 03 drivetrain and brake system on a 84 frame, I switched out all the major components because the 03 frame was bent. all the 03 stuff: brake lines/mounts, fuel lines, gas tank, everything, bolted up to the 84 frame.

you shouldnt need a brake line kit (I knew what you meant), just buy the hoses and the hose mounts from a salvage and they should bolt right to the hardlines you have. if you were going to change hardlines, just buy 98+ blazer hardlines and get 98+ blazer hoses.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
52ratrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the frames, aside from some differences in the center over the years (boxing, trans mounts), are the same 82-03. so I have no doubt a 98 brake mount will fit an early frame. in fact, saying it out loud, the last truck I did was an 03 drivetrain and brake system on a 84 frame, I switched out all the major components because the 03 frame was bent. all the 03 stuff: brake lines/mounts, fuel lines, gas tank, everything, bolted up to the 84 frame.

you shouldnt need a brake line kit (I knew what you meant), just buy the hoses and the hose mounts from a salvage and they should bolt right to the hardlines you have. if you were going to change hardlines, just buy 98+ blazer hardlines and get 98+ blazer hoses.
Ya I started this build as a bare frame so ill need to replace all the hard lines. Will the 98+ blazer hard lines mount on the S10 frame alright?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 AM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52ratrod View Post
Ya I started this build as a bare frame so ill need to replace all the hard lines. Will the 98+ blazer hard lines mount on the S10 frame alright?
yes indeed. the 2wd blazers have the exact same front section of the frame as the trucks.