The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
skip72

Frame 72 K10

To start I hope I've posted this in the correct section.

I have always wanted a 70's short bed 4WD and well I found what for all intensive purposes my dream truck. 1972 SB step side, 4WD, 350 with a 4 speed. Before buying I gave the truck what I felt was a thorough inspection but after having it for a month or so I am realizing the frame had more issues than I initially thought.

There is rust, as expected for my region of NE Tennessee, but far more than I had initially suspected. After loading the truck with firewood the other day I crawled underneath to inspect in order to ensure there were no issues and well, one cropped up. An already present rusted area of the rear frame, just before the front leaf perch, had cracked from approx center frame to the lower rail. Needless to say I unloaded all the wood and gingerly drove it home.

This evening I was able to remove the bed only to realize my rust issues were far more extensive than just one crack, I found several areas with what I would call significant structural compromise including all 4 leaf perches as well as to the rear cross member and the tail end of the frame.

I realize I have no pictures at the present moment; however, I can provide in the near future, but I do feel my frame is for lack of a better term FUBAR. The front clip is nearly completely sound but the rear I'm afraid is beyond repair. Now to my question(s)...

1. I have searched for companies that may provide a new replacement rear clip as I would certainly be more comfortable with this option but have been unable to find anyone who produces an OEM style rear clip for the 4wd short bed C10s (only rear clips designed for lowering or the LWB to SWB conversion).
2. At what point does a person decide that removing rotten areas and welding in reinforcing plates is no longer an option (I have a very close friend who is a professional welder with many years experience so job quality/safety would not be an issue).

Is there someone out there that provides this product, or someone who may have a rear clip available within my region (East TN)?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the world of these classic vehicles but thoroughly committed to turning this truck into a something that I will use and enjoy for many years.

Thank you in advance
skip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
68shortwide

Re: Frame 72 K10

Wow that sucks, my best advice is just check Craigslist for a k10 k20 k1500 or k2500, also check the parts board on here...hope you find something edit: And welcome from St. Louis.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
67chevy1series

Well if your set on having a shortbed 4wd and can't find a short 4wd frame then get a 2wd frame and take all the 2wd suspension off, sell it to recoup money for buying another frame. Then transfer over all the 4wd suspension brackets/hangers/crossmember over that are in good shape and make a 4wd short frame
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Well if your set on having a shortbed 4wd and can't find a short 4wd frame then get a 2wd frame and take all the 2wd suspension off, sell it to recoup money for buying another frame. Then transfer over all the 4wd suspension brackets/hangers/crossmember over that are in good shape and make a 4wd short frame
He could but the 2wd frames bulge out in the rear and don't stay straight like a 4wd frame. Too bad your so far away. I have 1/2 of a long bed 4x4 frame sitting around as a donor. Good luck, and a long bed 4x4 frame would work to either cut down and use or splicing into your frame. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
msgross

fix yours or find a donor 4WD frame... best and cheapest bet...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
skip72

Thank you everyone for your input and advise. I spent a little more time working on the frame this am and I truly have only one area that is bad enough for me to park it. My best bet at this point is to repair that area so I know I can drive down the road without holding my breath over every bump, but I still don't trust it for carrying loads which is too bad since I purchased the vehicle to use as well...a truck.
I think a full or partial frame swap will be the best option for me. Restoration is absolutely in the plans but I don't really want to jump into any of that until my income will allow me to do it right.

I have been doing quite a bit of internet searching and all the SWB frames within the 67-72 generation are 2wd. I have read a couple of threads talking about this swap which doesn't seem to be an awful task but I'm curious 17blksuper4x4 about the difference in tail end frame width between K10s and C10s. Is this an issue for spring hangers or something else?

Also with the K10 frames, I've found a few with prices ranging anywhere from $400 to $800 (some have axles, some don't which understandably would make the price a little more) but they have all been from early 80s model Chevy's. What year(s) of the K10 would be interchangeable with my vehicle?

Thanks again for all the help thus far.
skip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=224618
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

As far as the 4x4 frame compatibility, unfortunately only a 67-72 is plug and play. The later frames have longer wheel bases so while they could be made to work it's a lot more work. Having done a frame swap on my other truck I wouldn't recommend it if your short on money or tools.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
msgross

Drive out and buy this, sell drivetrain and recoup your costs... Not mine...
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/4756924574.html
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
54blackhornet

Skip, sorry to hear about your situation ! I know I am on the wrong coast, but I posted a 71 K-10 frame for sale a while back, I received no legit offers so I figured i would just sit on it for the time being. The frame is rust free and straight.....
Old 11-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip72 View Post
To start I hope I've posted this in the correct section. I have always wanted a 70's short bed 4WD and well I found what for all intensive purposes my dream truck. 1972 SB step side, 4WD, 350 with a 4 speed.

This evening I was able to remove the bed only to realize my rust issues were far more extensive than just one crack, I found several areas with what I would call significant structural compromise including all 4 leaf perches as well as to the rear cross member and the tail end of the frame.

At what point does a person decide that removing rotten areas and welding in reinforcing plates is no longer an option (I have a very close friend who is a professional welder with many years experience so job quality/safety would not be an issue).

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the world of these classic vehicles but thoroughly committed to turning this truck into a something that I will use and enjoy for many years.

Thank you in advance
Well, you have to have enough metal to weld onto, and your dimensions need to be un-altered; hard to straighten a frame that has been reinforced. "X" measure the rear section and check for twisting before considering repairs and straighten first if necessary. I don't see any point in removing the rotten areas. If it don't fall off after wire-wheel cleaning, leave it there and repair on top of it.

FIRST OFF, I don't know much about 4WD frames, not 100% sure they are the exact same size channel-wise, but I'm sure there are others on this forum that can say for sure. IF they ARE, these frame stiffeners might help you on the forward spring perch area provided the rail is straight in that section, but the frame might taper down to a smaller channel on the rearward one like it does on the 2WD, but again, I don't know much about 4WD frames.

If you pursue repairing the old frame, and if the rusted areas are straight enough, these 17" repair/stiffener channels are designed to slip into the frame rail. If the section/s to be repaired are not compatible with the stiffener channels, then I believe a "fish plate" would need to be made, clamped/welded into the frame rails. You might consider boxing for strength after performing fish plate repairs. On the rear, you could extend the fishplate to the end of the frame, all necessary holes can be re-drilled through the old frame through the repair sections. I would not box the end section of the frame behind the rear cross-member for bumper/hitch bolt access. If you do want to box it, weld the nuts holding the bumper/hitch onto the fishplate before you box it with the associated parts installed and aligned for fit. Curved sections, if need repaired, would need to either have curved fish-plates AND/OR boxed (boxed easier, if you have good metal to weld onto) if appropriate for strength required.

All spring perch areas need a plate directly behind the perch mounting point to assure the perch does not pull out of the rail. You would have to remove the rivets holding the perches on, clamp the repair sections in and drill through the existing holes into the repair section. Then, re-install the perches with appropriate strength bolts then weld the repair sections in.

Any time a repaired section can be tied into another repaired section, it makes the unit as a whole a lot stronger.

Sounds like you are working that thing (that's the point, right?) so use caution but with good judgement and your good welder, you can probably make it stronger than a new one.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ck/6372RFS.htm

You can fabricate a rear cross-member fairly easy using appropriate sized angle iron, clamped back to back forming a "Z" shape, bolted to the frame rails top and bottom then welded together, and you could weld it to the fishplate, frame also if desired. IF you are considering a rear tank (I wouldn't), consider the installation of that tank when performing this task. IF you do remove/replace the rear cross-member, take a strong piece of angle iron and bolt or weld it on the frame near the cross-member before your remove it and leave it there until all repairs are finished to ensure the frame does not spring outward or inward. Of course you are going to clean the areas to be welded, but after repairs you might want to clean the entire rear section and POR-15 it to prevent rust in the future.

I wonder how much of this problem is due to the leakage of the wooden bed. Regardless of how you repair the frame, you might take this opportunity to restore the bed while it's off and consider if you are ever going to haul livestock use sealed wood otherwise use some metal like maybe aluminum diamond plate on top of sealed plywood, sealed to the sides of course .

I'd consider repairing it. Replacing the entire frame, you have to find/buy a good frame, and quite a job replacing it. Engine, front diff, transfer case, cab, front end....lots of work. Cutting off a rear section means not losing critical dimensions, but anything can be done right with a tape-measure just measure twice and cut once. Will be interesting to see the pics and who knows, I might then tell you to get a new frame or section.
Attached Images

mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote