The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
KyleSeal

Under Bed Tanks.... do any not hang low?

Are there any under bed tanks that dont hang super low? All the low hanging ones are just ugly.

70 C10.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
aod92

Re: Under Bed Tanks.... do any not hang low?

Mine tucks up nice. It's built by Rhodes race cars.
Attached Images

aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
aod92

Attached Images

aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
James the III

Stop looking up my girls skirt

Sorry can't help my bed isn't back on to see how it'll look,, but after lowering it, I doubt it'll be seen.
I'm not fond of the j hook mounting, And may weld in the tabs to use straps.. mounting it to the bed floor and not the frame..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Camaroguy

I was also concerned about this on the truck we are currently building. I went with a Boyd's tank. It is sloped up in the back and I think it will be hidden pretty well. Either way, it is a beautiful product. I don't have the bed yet, but you should get the idea.
Attached Images

Current Built (68 c10 swb): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=787712
Camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
Orence1

My first conversion to a rear tank was a poly Chevy Blazer tank which was way too low. Swapped it out for an LMC metal tank with a center fill. Price was right at $149.95. You have got to crouch down to see it.
Attached Images

Orence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
1968aj

I just ordered the 69 Camaro tank. ilike the idea of the rear fill I will get some pictures once it gets installed.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
truckman72

Here is my 69 camaro tank. It fits right up in the frame. It hangs somewhat low but it blends in fairly well and is not all that noticeable.
Attached Images

1969 Chevy Stepside
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=392738
truckman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
Smittee

I used a Boyd's tank as well. It is designed to bolt up to the bottom of the frame rails. I did it a little different. I took three 3/8-16 Hex Couplings and cut them in half. Drilled holes in the tank mounting flange. Marked the top of the frame rail where I wanted the tank placed. Note: I had to remove the rear cross member but I didn't like the setup anyway. It had been taken out before I bought it and someone welded it back in with little clearance between the rear of the bed and the cross member. I fabbed up a new cross member that I can take in and out since it is now bolted in. Have to be able to take the tank back out for paint!
I then marked the holes on the frame rails and welded the hex couplers in place. Plan to use stainless bolts and a rubber spacer between the coupler and the mounting flange. I think I gained about an inch and a half or so. I haven't put the bed back on yet so i am not 100% sure what will hang down. You can look on Boyd's Welding website to see photos of some installs though.
I will try to attach a few pix.

Last edited by Smittee; 02-22-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: No pictures uploaded!
Smittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #10
Smittee

I used a Boyd's tank as well. It is designed to bolt up to the bottom of the frame rails. I did it a little different. I took three 3/8-16 Hex Couplings and cut them in half. Drilled holes in the tank mounting flange. Marked the top of the frame rail where I wanted the tank placed. Note: I had to remove the rear cross member but I didn't like the setup anyway. It had been taken out before I bought it and someone welded it back in with little clearance between the rear of the bed and the cross member. I fabbed up a new cross member that I can take in and out since it is now bolted in. Have to be able to take the tank back out for paint!
I then marked the holes on the frame rails and welded the hex couplers in place. Plan to use stainless bolts and a rubber spacer between the coupler and the mounting flange. I think I gained about an inch and a half or so. I haven't put the bed back on yet so i am not 100% sure what will hang down. You can look on Boyd's Welding website to see photos of some installs though.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #11
FRCvette

I would like to install a Boyd tank in my completed 70 stepper. Is it possible to install tank without removing bed? I have oak bed floor.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #12
Smittee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
I would like to install a Boyd tank in my completed 70 stepper. Is it possible to install tank without removing bed? I have oak bed floor.
More than likely if you install it like Boyd's tank is designed to be fastened. They recommend bolting the flange up to the underside of the frame. The filler tube shouldn't interfere since it will sit lower anyway.
Maybe contact Boyd's directly, they should be able to give you a definitive answer. I don't really have any experience with a step side though, so travel at your own risk.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:52 AM   #13
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckman72 View Post
Here is my 69 camaro tank. It fits right up in the frame. It hangs somewhat low but it blends in fairly well and is not all that noticeable.
How does the fuel do as far as following you down the road..lol
My chevelle did that with full tank if you left hard..
I changed to the 82-88 g body tank neck and newer fuel cap and it stop
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittee View Post
I did something very similar to this, also with a Boyd's tank, mounting the tank above the framerails to tuck it up more, and also made a removeable tubular rear brace like Smittee did. Had the tank powder coated satin black to 'hide' it even more, but being I'm running a roll pan in the back, it doesn't cover the tank up as much as a bumper does.
Attached Images

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote