The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
jakeblues652

Exclamation 1967 1/2 ton. warning: slow build.

i started a thread in the 67-72 projects and builds, but i figured better here, being this is a 4x4 build area. well heres the story behind it..
i'm 15, and im into cars and trucks, and late october i was doing my daily craigslist search, and just so happens i typed in "chevy truck" instead of chevy pickup. well, this was the only one that i didn't click on yet, so i figured, what the hell. so i did. the list price was $2000, and the description said 305 swap, comes with orignal 327, needs work, new tires and 3" body lift. heres the picture he had on the ad:

i figured nice enough, lets email the owner. we were having Q&A for a week or so about it, and then interest was sort of lost, because i didnt have the 1500 he said he'd go to. so around 2 or 3 weeks went by, and its mid november by now, and i email him again, asking if his price is still firm. he said it needed to go pronto. price lowered:$800. needless to say, i was down there the next weekend to look at it. good truck for $800. mechanically sound. just needs rust repair and some other TLC.

well i go to look at it, have my dad take it for a spin(i dont have my liscense), and we go to the truck, have about a 2 min talk about it. our talk went like this: "i like it..when can we be back to pick it up?"

the next weekend we were back to drive it home. we ran it through its paces on the 105+ mile trip back home. well it made it(in one piece) with an engine in the back, running about 65-70 alot of the way.

got her home, and ran into a few known problems, and a few unknown. oil pan gasket was not installed right when he dropped in the 305. replaced the first week. old worn out, leaky wheel cylinders. replaced this past week. i'm going to replace the shoes either tomorrow or next week sometime. i also plan on plug wires and plugs in the near future.

i have big plans for this truck. i hope to fix it up to very nice quality. showroom quality, but still lifted. i was debating on putting another 4" to her, and having her high. and maybe downgrade to a 1" body lift. then i'll have good suspension flex and still not be killing it with the body lift. also equipped with a body lift in the front and big big blocks in the back. want to get rid of, or upgrade the blocks to a newer safer system, as they look like a farm grown lift.

as far as the 327 goes, im still on the fence if im going to rebuild, or just sell. the 305 was said to have flat tops and a cam, and it does have decent power for a 305.

i do have a video of it running and a walkaround on youtube that i will post when i remember my password for that, so i can find the video easy. but i have some pictures i'll add later of what i have done so far.

GET READY BOYS, 'CAUSE THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG RIDE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Did you figure out how to fix it?...I mean with other than a BFH?!

want to see some slow progress on my truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436560 <-click there

Last edited by jakeblues652; 01-08-2011 at 10:34 PM.
jakeblues652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Chevymaniac

Re: 1967 1/2 ton. warning: slow build.

That is a sweet deal you got on the truck, from the pii have seen the truck looks to be in nice shape. I paid $800 for mine and it not as good of shape as yours, but at least i got it. I have mine down to the frame except for the cab and passenger fender left to remove. Then it's time for a sandblast and paint and than start putting it all back together.

Don't forget to had lots of pics.
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
jakeblues652

so my first non-new update.

first trip to the auto parts store, and definatly not the last

you see that can on chevy orange in that pile of junk? you wondering yet what i'm doing with that? well here ya go;

looks good if you ask me.
lets see how many of you have a good eye..tell me whats different in this next picture..

and of course, the bondo...

the panels i hope to get for the door should replace all of that, and if not, im in the market for different doors.

theres most of the pictues of what i've done up to now. i hope to take the house carpet out of the inside, and cover it in bedliner.

Quote:

want to see some slow progress on my truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436560 <-click there
Old 01-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
blackout

looks like a great find! im 15 too and working on my truck to but i got alot of work to do to it to make it road worthy.
im subscribing
blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
jakeblues652

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout View Post
looks like a great find! im 15 too and working on my truck to but i got alot of work to do to it to make it road worthy.
im subscribing
luckily, mines inspected! well, until the end of next month. a lot of the work i need to do is rust repair, and working out some other little kinks.

Quote:

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
blackout

Lookin forward for some more updates
blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

I like it but not feeling the red drums at all. Thats what those import guys due to their brake drums/calipers. YUK!
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
jakeblues652

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
I like it but not feeling the red drums at all. Thats what those import guys due to their brake drums/calipers. YUK!
i know they look red, but they are actually chevy orange, so they match the enginge, tranny and t-case.

Quote:

Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
jakeblues652

so its been a couple days, and im trying to get the brakes adjusted right. its close, but the right front still wants to skid before the other brake kicks in, so im gonna back the passenger side off a bit, and then do the same with the back, as they aren't doing jack$h*t. they're just along for the ride.

what i did today wasnt much, but its progress. and a little fun

first, the progress though...the steering box was a little loose, so i adjusted that in a half a turn or so, and shes pretty good.

now, the fun so since the driveway was still a bit snowy from the last storm, i wanted to test out the posi so i tested out the posi, and it works in first and second gears. started out in first, let her out nice and slow like normal, and just stomped on it, and grabbed second quick, and i wouldve tryed third, but i ran out of straight, and i didnt want to be doing that up against a tree.

Quote:

Last edited by jakeblues652; 01-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.