The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Travis K

Not so new project 1970 K10

I have been hanging around this site for a little over 3 years now, and have learned a lot from everyone. I have decided to finally start my own build thread. I actually started my build a few years ago, but progress was slow at best. Between getting married, going to military schools (I am active duty in the North Dakota National Guard), and being deployed, I haven't been able to make much progress. I get back from my current deployment soon, and I plan on really getting started on this project when I get home.

I have always wanted to do a frame off on a 67-72 Chevy truck. I had a '69 K10 that I started back in high school, but the parents didn't really care for the space it took in the garage. I had them sell it for me the summer that I went to basic training. Years later, I had a few extra bucks (and my own garage), so I decided it was time to get started. I couldn’t find a K10 in my area that was in decent shape, so I purchased a 1970 LWB C10. The body was in good shape, with minor rust in the floorpan, rockers, and cab corners. Then, through a friend, I found a cheap ’68 K10. The body on the K10 was in pretty rough shape, but the chassis was straight and in good condition. Here are some pictures of what I had to start out with:

Last edited by Travis K; 06-17-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Travis K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Travis K

Re: Not so new project 1970 K10

a few more:

Last edited by Travis K; 06-17-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Travis K

a couple of the '68. It came complete, but I didn't take any pictures of it that way.

and the '68 down to bare frame:

Last edited by Travis K; 06-17-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Travis K

My plan is to use the 4x4 chassis with the '70 body. The body did need some rust repair, and I had never welded before. I took an evening welding class at the local Votech Center, and read a lot of threads on this website before I jumped in. The first cut into the body of your truck can be nerve wracking, especially when you don't have experience welding. The members on this site were very inspirational and motivating, so I jumped right in. I started with replacing the driver's side floorpan, rockers, and cab corner. This build my confidence, so I decided to try smoothing my firewall next. Here are some pics of the firewall after the mod:

Last edited by Travis K; 06-17-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Travis K

After this mod, and a bunch of other welding projects around the garage, I decided to start on my custom dash. I cut the mid-section out of the dash, so I could work on it at the bench. I am using a Vintage Air control panel for their Gen IV system, I don't remember off hand where the vents came from, and I will be putting a double DIN DVD receiver in the dash. Here are some pictures of the progress on it.

Last edited by Travis K; 06-17-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Travis K

and more:

Last edited by Travis K; 06-17-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Travis K

I have done other mods to the truck, but don't have any pictures. Some of the other things I have done are:
-shaved tailgate w/ handle relocator
-shaved cowl
-filled the fuel filler hole in cab
-installed brackets into floorboards for 2003 Silverado seats
-misc body work (filling holes, smoothing dents, etc...)

The major parts I have waiting to be installed at home are an aluminum fuel cell from Fuel Cell Guy, a couple short bedsides, and a 5.3L L33 motor and 4L60E from a 2007 Silverado (pics below). Before I left on this deployment, I was working on installing a 4" Rough Country lift kit. I have posted the issues I have had with the lift kit in other threads. I couldn't find a lift kit for a '68, so I am modifying things to use a 69-72 kit. I was also having trouble getting the 5.3L to fit. A couple blocks on the engine were contacting the crossmember before the mounts would seat. That will have to wait until I get home though.

Here are pics of the motor, and a photoshop of what I am planning the truck to look like when I am finished.

Last edited by Travis K; 06-17-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
Travis K

Well, I have been back from my deployment for just bout 2 months now. Still getting back into the swing of "real" life. I have made some progress on the truck since I have been home, but it has been slow going. This is my first major custom project, and I have learned an important lesson so far. NOTHING EVER FITS!! I have had to modify everything to get it to fit. I should have called this project "One Piece at a Time", because I have lost track of the model years that I have taken parts from, ranging from 1968 to 2007. Oh well, it is a great learning experience and hopefully the finished product will show the hard work that is going into it.

The first project was to cut the frame down to a short box. I followed Rokcrln's write-up, and it went pretty smooth. There wasn't a whole lot of frame left behind the rear spring hangers (56" springs) after I cut the 8" off!

After I added 20" of garage space, loosely assembled my bed with the short bedsides I ordered and sat it on the newly shortened frame. I also mounted up the rear bumper, hitch, and fuel cell. I only have pix of the bumper in place, but I will get pictures of the rest when I pull the box back off.

Last week, I just finished up mounting the motor and trans. I still need to fab up a torque mount for the transfer case. Then, I am going to get some driveshafts made up and rebuild the axles.

That is where I left off last week. I had to make some space in the garage so I could work on my daily driver and some family member's vehicles. Hopefully I can get back out there this week. Here is a picture of how it is sitting right now. I have it set to approximate ride height on 35" tires. I measured the height of the cab, and it should squeek out of the garage with about a half inch to spare. I will worry about that when the time comes though.

Last edited by Travis K; 09-21-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
madmopar
This guy has got to be stopped

Very cool build! Subscribed!

1970 4x4 LWB project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415134
madmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Very nice work for being the first major custom project! Thank you for serving and good luck with the truck! Nice looking garage too bye the way.

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Kick azz project!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Is that a repop bed?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
SWB4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis K View Post
and more:

Nice project...Looks great so far! I am really liking what you did with the dash

1972 SWB 4X4 on 35"s with 6" lift all around 3/4 ton running gear with high steer and 4.88s 350/th350. SOON TO BE DONE:2" higher in front 37"s,LSX Swap,Hugger Orange & White Paint Scheme,Air Conditioning,Power Windows & Locks,Complete Gauge Kit,Tank Relocation,Double Din Nav with full Audio System.

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4169140
SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Rodk65

Great looking project. The 5.3 swap is something I want to do in my 4x4. Keep up the good work.

1969 K10 4x4 Short Fleet. Tuned Port Injection 350/700R4, Cruise, tilt and factory A/C.
1971 C20 Camper Special. 350/350. SOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe LT
Rodk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #15
Travis K

Thanks for the compliments guys. It is definitely a learning experience. Being deployed for a year gives you a lot of time to plan your project, so hopefully progress will go fast. My goal is to have it finished by early summer. I am trying to get as much done while it is nice out though. Winter is coming fast. It actually snowed here after work last Friday!

Black Beauty, only the sides are repop. Unfortunately, they came with some pretty large dents in them. I will work on those after I weld in the fuel filler door. I actually stole the floor out of my wife's '71 because it was straighter than mine. I am not sure I will ever live that one down. I promised to get hers back together once there is room in the garage.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
silver7

Looks good. I'm envious of how quick your getting things done. Keep it up and you'll be finished in no time.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #17
Travis K

Haven't had a chance to work on the truck in almost a month, kind of frustrating. Winter is going to be here soon, and I have been helping my brother get his new yard together. The bad thing is that you only get about an hour or two to work outside since the sun goes down so early this time of year. That means projects that should take a night or two, take a week or so. I did have a couple hours to work on the truck today. I got the fuel filler door fitted into the bedside, powered up the welder, threw in a tack weld, and it looked like chicken poop. My tank was empty, figures. I must have a leak somewhere, because I haven't done that much welding since I have been home. Unfortunately, I probably won't get a chance to work on it for a few more weeks.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #18
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis K View Post
Haven't had a chance to work on the truck in almost a month, kind of frustrating. Winter is going to be here soon, and I have been helping my brother get his new yard together. The bad thing is that you only get about an hour or two to work outside since the sun goes down so early this time of year. That means projects that should take a night or two, take a week or so. I did have a couple hours to work on the truck today. I got the fuel filler door fitted into the bedside, powered up the welder, threw in a tack weld, and it looked like chicken poop. My tank was empty, figures. I must have a leak somewhere, because I haven't done that much welding since I have been home. Unfortunately, I probably won't get a chance to work on it for a few more weeks.
Hey at least you have a nice garage to work in! Your doing a flip door for the gas fill? Thats my plan also, i'd really like to see pic's of the install if you have them?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
silver7

Really like your plan for the color of the truck with large newer style wheels. I have a similar thought for mine but I don't have photoshop to post it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
Travis K

Here are the pix I have of the filler door install. I think I bought it from Hagan Street Rods. If I had to do it again, I think I would cut one off of a salvaged newer Silverado. The filler door is only one thickness of metal on the edges. I am afraid of paint chipping. I don't know much about body work though. If someone can tell me different, please do. If not, I think I am going to add a strip on the back side. I did get some warping above the filler on the bedside. I hate welding on large panels. I even took my time (about 1 1/2 hours) to weld this thing in. I guess I will have to figure out how to fix it after I shave the marker lights. Again, if anyone has any tips on fixing the warpage, let me know. I am teaching myself metal work and body work, so tips from people with experience is always helpful.

On another note, I received my Doug Thorley LS swap headers tonight. I only held them up to the block, but if anyone needs to know, they fit beautifully. Can't wait to bolt them up, and route some exhaust. That will have to wait. I still have a couple weeks of helping my bro in his yard before I get more garage time.

Anyway, here are the pix of the fuel filler install:

Tack Welded:

All welded up:

Used cutoffs from shortening the bed, and my break to fab up an access panel/cover:

Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #21
swamp rat

I cant thank you enough for posting the pic's! I was trying to figure out how to make a backing plate like you did with the bed material in the last pic, i have no excess bed material right now, guess i have to find some..

One question i have is if you flanged the bed cuttout with a flanger tool? or did you just cut the opening the same size as your flip door assy?

I talked to a guy i work with who does body work on the side, he recomended not using squair or rectangle pieces but rather oval shapes when spot welding in a door assy. he said it will help minimise warpage, he also recomended flanging the opening so the piece overlaps the bed, spot weld it in then use seam sealer on the back side..

I am still pretty petrafide of cutting my bed... even tho its just steel.. :p

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 10-07-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #22
Travis K

I didn't flange it, I prefer butt welds. Besides, it would be tough to reach seam sealer all the way around and make sure it is covering the seam well. I wonder how welding in an oval hole creates less warpage than a square hole? I may try it when I fill the side markers. The way I see it, heat is heat, and that is what warps the panel.

Even if you don't have any bed cutoff for the flange, it wouldn't take much to form a 1" strip to follow the contour. I think it would have taken less time to do that than cutting off the piece and removing all of the paint and undercoating. Plus, it is satisfying to make something like that from scratch.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #23
swamp rat

I have absolutly no idea myself about the oval, just passing along what he said.. That does raise the question tho... How would you cut out an oval with any precision??

But i agree about trying to apply seam sealer may be an issue unless ya remove a large enough piece of the inner bed, but i like the way you did yours!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 10-07-2010 at 02:21 AM.