The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Maximus

My Build - 1955 2nd Series Short Bed Stepside

Hello,
I guess its time for me to try and show the resurrection of a 1955 2nd Series shortbed stepside I found that a friend of mine had. $400 later and it was trailered to my house.
Here are some photos from when I first went to get it.
Summer of 2002

The truck was pieced together from about 3 different trucks, the VIN matched the frame and it is the 20919th truck from Oakland in 1955.

After clearing out a few hundred pounds of junk out of the bed, I disassembled the truck slowly through the next year or two (I was still in highschool and was also at this time modifying my 65’ Mustang so work on the truck was very slow)
My friend who I bought the truck from also came across the front end of a 1957 pickup that he gave me. Here are some pictures from my yard in 2005 after everything was in pieces

At this time I also spent a few months during weekends completely disassembling a 1978 Firebird Formula, which would feed the entire drivetrain of my truck
Here is the Subframe removed from the bird

Time passed and I think in the summer of 2006 me and my father got together and cut the ’55 frame and sectioned in the firebird frame. Also during this time I cut the rivets on the rear leaf spring perches and flipped the rear leaf spring perches. Also removed two springs and cut down a few of the other springs.
After this I cut the leaf spring tabs off the firebird 10-bolt rear end I welded some 2” spring mounts and installed on top of the springs.

After I got the rear end squared away I trimmed the inner frame about ˝” and moved the rear cross member to make clearance for a 1969 Mustang Gas Tank

Here is the Formula Firebirds powerplant.
1978 400CI Pontiac

About a year passed, I got new bushings and ball joints in the firebird control arms, reassembled the front suspension.
After this I had major issues with rust and metal so I found a 1959 pickup that was in a front end collision.
I bought the ’59 for $500. Since my cab was rusted and had no glass, I installed the 59 cab on my truck, using the doors (all glass was okay) and the bed. Sold extra parts on craigslist
I regretted that decision until recently because soon after this I moved and lost my storage areas. Had to slim down my parts inventory. Thus all the extra doors went away, and I was only able to keep my extra set of fenders, so I had to get rid of my original cab.
I regretted it later because I found out the hood hinge points were different (not that big of a deal) but also knew that the new cab didn’t have any rust, but has a bunch of dents and holes cut in various places.
It seems like if the previous owner had ANY reason to cut a hole, he did…

Here is a few shots of the new cab on, and me installing the 400 Pontiac and Super T-10 that both came from the Formula
Oh yea, Also used the firebird steering column. It works out okay but I just got the truck on the road and found out I need to get 2 u-joints between the steering box and the column and lengthen the shaft that connects the column and box a few inches…

After the engine install life took over. School, work, buying a house, getting married… all the while the truck sat.
For about 4 years very little progress was made…
Then I got my new property and at my first possible chance built a carport so I could haul my truck to its new home.
In the meantime, I bought an aluminum radiator, electric fan, fan relay, had my original seat reupholstered, replaced my intake with an aluminum one, and installed an ‘EZ Wiring kit’ I got off ebay. Installed a floor mounted power booster, 10 lb proportioning valve for the drums and 2 lb valve for the discs

Last year I found a set of original SOLID 1955/56 fenders (I don’t know which because the emblem holes were filled so good years ago that I couldn’t tell from the back side where the holes used to be…
Installed the fenders and now this is pretty much how my truck is sitting…

Now, I said earlier that I regretted getting rid of my original cab…
That was, until now.
I finally decided since my drivetrain is complete and I am about to begin body work, that I would kick myself down the road if I don’t build it the way I want…
Now I know there are a LOT of fans of the small window cabs, and they look cool… but I LOVE the big window cabs…
So I halted progress until I could locate one…
And I did…
This weekend I am going to drive 2 hours down the freeway and pick up a original 1955 cab.
It took 9 years to get this far, hopefully I will be able to get the big window cab on the truck and driving this summer…
Thanks for looking,
Ill post pictures of the big window cab after I get it home.
That’s it for now,
Thanks for looking.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote