The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
Lowered13

Diesel Particulate Filter

Hello I am looking for some information. I am looking into swapping a diesel engine into a 67-72 Chevy c10 and narrowed it down to an lbz or an Ecodiesel. I am wanting the ability to run b100 though the engine and I know that you can't with the Ecodiesel because of the particulate filter. What I am wondering is that if I were to swap in the Ecodiesel would I have to install the diesel particulate filter to comply with regulations or do the regulations apply to the truck itself and not the engine installed? I know if there was no particulate filter that I would need to reprogram it, just need to know if I can even do it legally.
Thankyou for the help in advance.
Lowered13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Diesel Particulate Filter

You'll have to reference your own state's laws.

I'm sure folks will chime in with anecdotes of their particular situation, but unless they are from Maine, it's not pertinent.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

You should repost this in the diesel engine section. Your more likely to find the answer there.
Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:46 AM   #4
AZ 67 C10

Really depends on your states emissions laws. The mouth breathers here look for specific components relating to emissions. 9/10 times they have no idea what they are looking at, rather just if it is there or not. If you are required to have DPF you can always remove the innards of it and they would never know it isn't functioning. Also a LBZ doesn't have a DPF and its a GM motor. Don't soil your truck with an ecodiesel
AZ 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
NC_John

State and federal laws usually dictate that the emissions must be as was applicable for the model year of the vehicle, not the engine.

BUT - Can you get a tuner (a bullydog for example) for the engine you are contemplating? Usually you'll have to program out the EGR, DPF, DEF (done by installing an "off-road high-sulfur" tune) to remove that stuff and keep everything happy. Otherwise the computer will be eternally pissed off and you'll probably be constantly dealing with MIL lights and derating issues.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Lowered13

Alright thanks for the advice and I know that my dd truck (1977 k10) does not have to have a catalytic filter because it is old enough it didn't come with one but I still have a 350 in it so didn;t know if stuff like that changed with the engine or with truck year. Also i know that the LBZ doesn't have a DPF but are harder to find and weigh a lot more than the new 3.0L Ecodiesel, so I would need to beef up the front end parts to hold the LBZ. Both have their advantages.
Lowered13 is offline   Reply With Quote