The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
cletusboy

Why convert to short bed?

Doing a lot of researching and reading lately. Wanting to know everyone's opinion on why converting to a short bed is so popular, I've even seen that it increases value. In my opinion that would start making long beds more of a rarity and increase the long bed value right? I have a long bed and plan on keeping it that way. Do short beds drive better? Just needing some insight.
cletusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
EARNHARDT#3

Re: Why convert to short bed?

It's just a "sportier" look...I have a long bed and plan on keeping it that way as well. But '67 long beds don't look as long to me either. Without the rear marker light the bedside just doesn't look so long. Again that's me.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

I've never had one but I imagine they are quicker and easier to park.

Rarity alone does not equal value. IMO, a truck with a ridiculous bed somehow looks "cute" or at least odd. and somehow has gained value over a standard or Longhorn bed.

Personally I like to use trucks and I require a bed that can accommodate more than a bicycle or my Costco purchases.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

There is in no way a shortage of longbeds at this time... (there's a pun in there somewhere) when they were new they outsold shortbeds about 4 to 1.

I believe there's a few reasons:

1. They look sportier
2. I've been checking my local craigslist for years, and good shortbeds aren't exactly plentiful. And when a good one does go up for sale, it's gone quickly.
3. There's A LOT of good longbeds out there, with very reasonable prices, it's sometimes cheaper to cut down an extremely nice LB vs buying a SB (this is actually what I've done with a clean AZ fleet bed for my swb truck).

I've driven both... the longbeds ride nicer due to the extra length and weight. The shortbeds handle better.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
davepl

Short beds are a sporty fun look.

Long beds are more practical for work.

The older these trucks get the less time they get working and the more time people spend looking at them, so the short bed becomes the desirable look.

I spent a couple of years looking for a good short bed and then decided to be contrarian and restore a Longhorn instead, the exact opposite almost. I'm happier than I would have been with a stubby, but the stubby would be worth 2X as much I bet!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
leddzepp

Rare doesn't always mean desirable.

Most people convert to short beds because these trucks are seen as toys now and not work vehicles.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Maximus

its 100% aesthetics. a shortbed truck has a much more proportionate body (bed is close to the length of the cab/fenders) and thus it looks more uniform.

Longbeds are a lot more useful but sometimes that bed looks like it goes on forever behind that cab. If your buying a truck for WORK your probably not worried about looks, but the MAJORITY of people buying "classic" trucks are not buying them for WORK, but as a pleasure vehicle.

The lines on a 67-72 c10 short fleet look pretty darn good...

I always think of it as a 2-door vs 4-door thing with classic cars.
try to figure out from a practical reason why a 2-door 1955 chevy is worth 5x more than the SAME 1955 chevy that has 4 doors. the 4-door cost MORE new. Aesthetics play a HUGE role in classic car desirability.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
davepl

I reject the 2-door v 4-door analogy though... a 4-door car is worth next to nothing to most people but I don't think that's true of regular bed trucks!

If you've ever wanted to compare directly on the "same" truck, I made this.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
hewittca

Shortbed convert here. Personally, I shortened my truck simply for the fact that I like the way the shortbeds look on a lowered truck. I think the general consensus is that the proportions of a shortbed look better on a lowered and/or performance oriented truck. Since many of the trucks we see here and at shows are mostly for fun and looking good, most of them are shortbeds. Not many are going to bring their longbed work trucks to a show so you don't see those as much, but as mentioned above they do outnumber the shorties about 4 to 1. When I see a truck in the wild, it's almost always a longbed being put to work. As far as handling goes, I honestly could not tell any difference in the way my truck drove after the shortbed conversion. It may have an effect on more performance oriented trucks, but the stock longbed to stock shortbed feel on my truck was indistinguishable.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I reject the 2-door v 4-door analogy though... a 4-door car is worth next to nothing to most people but I don't think that's true of regular bed trucks!

If you've ever wanted to compare directly on the "same" truck, I made this.
you misunderstood my analogy. I didn't say there is a linear correlation between the value of a 4-door and a long-bed, I was merely stating that there wasn't a mechanical or practical reason the short-bed should be valued over the long-bed, its merely supply and demand based on aesthetic preference.

That said, I wouldn't buy a long-bed C10 unless a) I specifically planned on shortening it or b) had 6BT Cummins plans in mind...

short beds just look alot better aesthetically for me.

all that said, I have NO problem with people who own long beds, they are a lot more useful, and can make great platforms for a awesome classic truck. I admire ones I see, but personally have no desire to own one.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #11
46stude

I sold my '64 C10 because it was a shortbed. I bought my '72 Cheyenne because it was a longbed. I'd originally planned to buy a '64-'66 longbed, but the Cheyenne came up & I decided to go for it. (Wish I'd have held out for the '64-'66 LWB, though).

But then again, I don't see these trucks as finacial investments, or as sporty vehicles. They're trucks. Slammed, big wheels, shortbeds- not my thing. But that's what makes the hobby go 'round- the variety.
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
garyd1961

I prefer the standard length and factory height.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
cletusboy

Thank you all for your inputs. I do plan on keeping mine long and as stock and original as possible. Only mod I want to do is go from a 1 ton to 1/2 suspension. Just for better daily driving.
cletusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
skytop

Here is an analogy using a vintage 60's Mustang.
The Mustang had a fast back model and the notch back model (ignoring the convertible).
Why is the fastback FAR, FAR more desirable? Because it looks great and presents the best proportions for the car. Today, a fastback brings almost double the price of the notch back and are becoming more and more difficult to find.

The long bed PU is a COMMERCIAL body. It is all about function and utility. However, plenty of people love the long bed.
The short bed PU is a civilian body. It offers style, looks and proportion for many other people. It's your call.

Last edited by skytop; 05-24-2017 at 09:52 PM.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #15
Fldawg

i keep telling people go ahead and keep cutting down those longbeds it just makes the shortbeds more valuble. just my 2 cents
Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #16
dmjlambert

I kind of like my long bed. I think the proportions are nicer than a short bed when I have a tool box in it. But it's not a strong preference. The truck I found happened to be a long bed so that's what I ended up with. I think parking in my garage would be significantly better with a short bed, and I'm not always hauling huge amounts of stuff, so cutting it down or just buying a short bed may be in my future. I've even thought about getting an old Chevy Luv.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #17
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

My dad's old blue must be the only one that was stretched into a longbed.
Needed to pull a car trailer and carry a 8' camper.

And 3/4 ton front x member and a dana 60
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #18
tutone

Sometimes you just get tired of the market and what people think their short beds are worth. I like a long bed as long as it belongs to some one else. I think a whole lot of it is a generational thing too. The younger crowd seems to like the long and us more seasoned folks lean towards the short ones. Not always, but often. I am running a tab on the cost of my conversion and so far it has run me about 80 bucks to convert my 67 from long to short. The bedsides are all I like and the rest is restoration, no matter if its long or short, it costs pretty much the same. Is it worth more? Probably not. Is it a more desirable truck? Maybe to some. Bottom line, the only person I have to please is me, and so far I am.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #19
Ken B

When I started looking for a classic truck I really had no preference whether long or short. When it came to short beds in my neck of the woods they were either non existent or were too rich for my budget. As a kid I remember seeing a bunch of long bed trucks hauling a boat, a camper or a load of fire wood. Our family truck hauled 5 teenage boys and the family dog in the back from time to time. Whoever said they sold 4 long beds to one short bed hit the nail on the head. I don't recall seeing many short beds back in the day. The short beds do look better than most long beds when dropped. I say most because last week end I saw a long bed that was dropped and it was the nicest dropped truck I ever saw. I wish I had my camera on me... My truck search finally ended when I found a beautiful 100% original one owner 70 Longhorn. She gets worked from time to time... I would also like to mention that even though my truck is a C30 it handles well with a beefy front stabilizer bar and it also rides as smooth as a new truck...
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

People who want a shortbed and can't find one they can buy go out and buy an easier to find longbed and shorten it. That is reason #1. Reason #2 is there are people who only like shortbeds and are otherwise no real truck people. They mostly are car converts. I'm a real truck guy and I like a shortbed for my car. For me it's longbed 8-lugger or shortbed 5 or 6. Lighter truck for lighter load. I want to load my longbed with whatever fits and roll on down the road. That said, I am considering a longbed C/10 since my work s generally lighter these days and a 1/2 cab have taller gears for the hiway...which is where I have to drive to get to most of my work. Most guys here don't buy trucks t use as trucks

It's simple, if you want a longbed you don't shorten it. If you want a shortbed you shorten it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-25-2017 at 07:20 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #21
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Reason #2 is there are people who only like shortbeds and are otherwise not real truck people.
Now hold on here a sec... let's back the truck up... I never even owned a car until I turned 32. I've had nothing but GM trucks since I was 12 (bought a 58 apache to work on with dad.) I never liked longbeds, the only one I've ever owned was just a bed and I cut that crap down days after I got it

Shortbeds can pull 16' trailers just fine.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #22
72bowtiestepper

Longbed will not fit in my garage....all my vehicles are garaged...end of story.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I kept it really simple, but I'll elaborate on answer #2. If you "ONLY" like shortbeds then you aren't really a truck guy. You are a shortbed guy. Because a truck guy likes trucks...period. They can have their favorites, like some more than others, but they just like trucks. The vary nature of trucks is they come in all shapes and forms. In fact, the pickup truck is an afterthought. First came trucks, then came pickups. If you only like Mustangs you aren't a real car guy.

I never said you aren't a truck guy if you like shortbeds and I never said a shortbed is not a real truck. One of the bedsides for my '67 shortbed project is from a truck that spent it's life with a welder in the bed and a set of racks mounted mounted on it. That is as truck as truck gets.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #24
67ChevyRedneck

Well now, then that's a horse of a different color!
Project "On a Dime"
Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #25
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Just like every other question like this, its all personal preference. BTW I'm not putting down OP, I ask these kind of questions all the time haha!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote