The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
hillbillyrider

acting like runs out of gas at speed

94 1500 with 4.3 and 5 speed tans. currently working on 2 different problems. I have another thread on the engine not reaching operating temp. But I have another issue as well that i need to address. I have had the truck for about 2 weeks. traded my ford to it which so far has been a mistake. anyway, the other problem I am having is the truck acts like it runs out of gas when maintaining speed. it does not matter at what speed or rpm. If I hold it there long enough it will just die. but starts right back. It starts real easy and idles great. runs through the gears strong. it only happens after reaching cruising speed whether it be on the highway or little back roads. i can push in the clutch and rev it up like nothing is wrong. I can come to a stop and it pulls strong through the gears but happens again when at constant throttle. I can not get it to happen in the driveway in neutral and holding it at a constant rpm. So far I have replaced the fuel filter and tried it with the CTS unplugged with no change. I currently have the bed off and will check the rubber hose tomorrow but from what i could tell it was in good shape. It got dark and cold on me lol. I hope it wont take much to get this thing up and going good. So far I regret trading my ranger to it.
hillbillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
hillbillyrider

Re: acting like runs out of gas at speed

The rubber hose is in good shape. No leaks that i can see anywhere. What could be causing this. Very frustrating to drive like this. When it happens I can floor it and it will kind of straighten up but feels a little underpowered. I don't understand it. It does great revving it and going through the gears. Only happens while maintaining speed. It simply acts like it is running out of gas.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
b454rat

Has it been tuned up? Check fuel pressure? Timing ok? Don’t forget it’s a v-6, they usually fall on their face lol....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

That sounds like a clogged fuel filter

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
hillbillyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by b454rat View Post
Has it been tuned up? Check fuel pressure? Timing ok? Don’t forget it’s a v-6, they usually fall on their face lol....
it dont fall on its face. It has plenty of power going through the gears. this only happens when maintaning speed
Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
hillbillyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
That sounds like a clogged fuel filter
Already changed it. No change.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
hillbillyrider

so after more time and money there is still no change. I installed a new pump and strainer and it still happens. 2 things i noticed today. first is if i go through the gears hard then push the clutch in the rpm falls to zero and fluctuates between 0-500 for a couple seconds then goes back to normal. second is I was really pissed off because it is still happening so i stopped and did a burnout. it did great for about a second then acted like i completely shut the fuel off. tried it a second time and same thing. So after a new pump, strainer and filter it still does the same ****. I unhooked the map sensor and it wouldnt hardly run at all. Plugged it in and unhooked the tps and it ran bad again. so i believe they are working. any ideas?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Sixball

Catalytic converter clogged up ?
Sixball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
hillbillyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixball View Post
Catalytic converter clogged up ?
nope. I wonder if one of rubber fuel lines is collapsing. i dont know what else it could be.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
4x4k30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrider View Post
nope. I wonder if one of rubber fuel lines is collapsing. i dont know what else it could be.
check the fuel line where it goes in to the back of the throttle body I have seen rubber from the in tank short rubber fuel pump hose get in it and will clog up there easy to check just undo the fuel line where it goes into the throttle body and look if you see black stuff
Old 12-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #11
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by b454rat View Post
... Check fuel pressure? ...
I agree!

Check the fuel pressure.

It does not matter that the pump is new, you still need to test the pressure with the engine running.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
4x4k30

For those of you that are wondering why you are not getting replies to your thread:
Did you give the model, year, engine, fuel system type, and transmission information?
If it is modified from what came stock from the factory, let us know that too. yes all that info will help I worked at a wrecker dealer in the shop a long time ago every time I picked a phone call from a customer they would just ask is my truck ready yet? lets see there are 40 to 100 trucks out in the yard I would just say almost I got my 3 best men working on it rite now..
Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #13
hillbillyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4k30 View Post
check the fuel line where it goes in to the back of the throttle body I have seen rubber from the in tank short rubber fuel pump hose get in it and will clog up there easy to check just undo the fuel line where it goes into the throttle body and look if you see black stuff
Great idea. Get on that tomorrow. Thanks
Old 12-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
mountie

Check the TPS is in correct reading ( is there a check engine light??)

Check distributor. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #15
hillbillyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountie View Post
Check the TPS is in correct reading ( is there a check engine light??)

Check distributor. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there was no engine light until i unhooked the temp gauge sensor and installed a good temp gauge. The problem was going on before that though. I really believe it is a fuel problem the way it acts. But will look in to the distributor soon as I get time
Old 12-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #16
mountie

Yea,,, in a "closed loop system", one part can effect a symptom similar to another part.

The LAST part replaced, was the problem.... distributor was bad, causing a low idle stumble, dying as I am stopping - re-start & everything fine, until I came to a stop.... or in Park & shift to reverse, it stalled. Unless I played with throttle.

Every module / solenoid / sensor replaced, before finding out the dist was bad.

( darn OBD 1 ) not specific enough. But, 'Hey'.... everything is new now !
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
LT7A

Interesting thread. I hope you get it figured out. I initially thought fuel filter but that is ruled out. I can picture what you describe with rubber fuel line collapsing but if that’s the case, it would have to be before (suction side) of the fuel pump unless there is a flap or loose particles that get pushed against the filter or another orifice. I think I would be methodically pulling and inspecting the components and lines of the fuel system from the tank forward. I have heard of people using a tank sealer that let go and would periodically cover the fuel line.

Another additional recommendation. This is a Chevy site and while many of us own other makes of vehicles, we’re all Chevy enthusiasts. You may well wish you still had your Ford Ranger but I would keep that to yourself when asking for help from Chevy enthusiasts. You would probably get a better response because many people are reading your thread.

Last edited by LT7A; 12-19-2017 at 05:29 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #18
hillbillyrider

Thumbs up Re: acting like runs out of gas at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Interesting thread. I hope you get it figured out. I initially thought fuel filter but that is ruled out. I can picture what you describe with rubber fuel line collapsing but if that’s the case, it would have to be before (suction side) of the fuel pump unless there is a flap or loose particles that get pushed against the filter or another orifice. I think I would be methodically pulling and inspecting the components and lines of the fuel system from the tank forward. I have heard of people using a tank sealer that let go and would periodically cover the fuel line.

Another additional recommendation. This is a Chevy site and while many of us own other makes of vehicles, we’re all Chevy enthusiasts. You may well wish you still had your Ford Ranger but I would keep that to yourself when asking for help from Chevy enthusiasts. You would probably get a better response because many people are reading your thread.
I have gone through 3 fuel pumps. the firs 2 were Delphi and both were bad. one wouldn;t even start the truck after 4 hours of use. Since they didn't have any more of them I went with a carquest brand. seems to be fixed but haven't had it on the highway yet. no problems so far around town and the backroads. Keeping mu fingers crossed lol. Also, I know this is a chevy site. I wasn't intending on a ford vs chevy debate. I would have felt the same if it were a dodge or a Fiat. I had regretted getting rid of a perfectly good vehicle just to end up with these problems. It was fine when I test drove it. But the next day it went downhill. I think it is sorted out now and looking forward to starting on the making it mine part. Thanks to all who helped.