The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
mongocanfly
Post Whore

blast or sand

got me a new project..actually my dads 57 IH 4x4...as if I didn't have enough to do..I know its not gm but based on the surface rust that can be seen in the pics should I just sand away the rust and scuff original paint or sandblast it all to bare metal and epoxy prime the whole thing?...its the original paint..almost zero body work needed...60yrs old...this thing is in unbelievably good condition..going to be painted red and white when done...
(paging MARTIN)
Attached Images

mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: blast or sand

Sanding alone wont remove the rust from the pits. You could strip to metal with 80 grit then cover the rust areas with navel jelly which will eat away the rust leaving you nice clean metal.

If you blast it find a reputable guy, if he talks about blasting warping a panel due to heat.....run! A good mix of blast media is crushed glass and plastic beads.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

thanks...its not pitted..just surface rust..at least from what i can see...and yeah I know about the heat myth from sandblasting...I've got access to a blaster and can do it myself...but I also have a good blaster local to me as well...
Old 10-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
72HuggerK20

Blast for sure. Better to be safe than sorry.

Could you do it properly without blasting, yes.

Would you want to shoot yourself after spending 5x the amount of time doing without blasting, yes.

Just get it blasted.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
BIGglaSS

80 grit DA the flat surface areas. Then follow up the rest with blasting. I had my cab blasted, the best $225 I have spent.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
72HuggerK20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
80 grit DA the flat surface areas. Then follow up the rest with blasting. I had my cab blasted, the best $225 I have spent.
80 grit DA takes forever to strip surfaces. I use either one of those fibrous 3m stripping wheels or a 36 grit roloc pad. There's no time to screw around with 80 grit on a DA if you're trying to get down to bare metal
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
MARTINSR

I can't make it clear enough, sand blasting "can" very easily create horrendous warping damage. I have seen cars RUINED by a "pro" sand blaster.

I don't mean "Damn I have more work to do" kinda damage. I am talking "HOLY F_CK IT'S RUINED AND I HAVE TO THROW IT AWAY" kinda damage.

The myth that the warp is created by heat is one of the reasons for the damage. People think if it's not getting the metal hot than it must be ok. Well it's a MYTH, the real cause of the damage is the little bits of sand are acting as a hammer thinning the top layer of the metal.

If you end up blasting it, you better damn be sure it's done properly. Most "media" outside of sand doesn't remove the rust, so it's a moot point.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I agree about the sandblaster warp...a buddy of mine had a flawless 72 hood ...except for surface rust...his dad has a commercial grade blaster...well they stood the hood up vertical and blasted away the rust...then his hood had a real nice "×" pattern in from the bracing underneath...
I guess ill try the sanding and naval jelly first and see what happens...
I know it doesn't matter but these old IH trucks feel like they stamped em outta 1/8" sheetmetal..so they pretty stout...the other donor truck for this project is my dads original truck...30 years ago he had the whole truck sandblasted and primed...that's the way it still sits. .its no show truck but there's no major blasting warp issues that I can see at the moment
Old 11-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Yep I had a very experienced sand blaster RUIN a once perfect 1928 Buick door for me.

Brian

Old 11-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Martin...on the original paint will just sanding it good and laying epoxy primer over the original paint be ok....I think I remember you saying once before...."if its been there that long why remove it".....paint that's been on there for 60 or so years...I'm just not sure how new primer and paint may react to the original paint...well where there is paint...
Old 11-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
MARTINSR

I would sand it off, it's so easy at that point.

Brian

Old 11-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
mongocanfly
Post Whore

ok thanks guys...ill be talking to a blaster this week and feel him out..and go from there...will be nice to start with nice clean metal...trying to hand sand it all off may be more than I'm wanting to do
Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #13
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

If you sand it, use a da sander something like a National Detroit DAQ. If your da has a finishing orbit(3/32) it will take forever.

For cleaning out the rust pits you could get one of these, they work awesome.
MBX bristle blaster, other tool companies make one as well. Snap on, mac, matco, dent fix, dynabrade, etc.

http://www.mbxit.com/products/bristle-blaster-c-6.html

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
kwmech

What about having it soda blasted? and don't have the nozzle too close to the material. I know however that that hood has pretty thick metal
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
mongocanfly
Post Whore

once before I checked into one of those dustless blasters that uses glass beads and water for doing my AD truck...guy said 2k plus mileage. ..closest one I could find was Chattanooga. ..about 3 hrs from me...
we've got a commercial grade soda blaster at work but the soda doesn't remove paint or powder coat all that good and its in the plant so i couldn't use it on the truck...I can haul smaller parts in and out though..
Old 11-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #16
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
What about having it soda blasted? and don't have the nozzle too close to the material. I know however that that hood has pretty thick metal
Soda blasting can be very funky as well. Look into it, I forget how you can't use any acid etch or metal prep, it got funky. Do some home work. But I don't see a need.

MOst of that truck everything would sand off, only those front fenders are the only things we are talking about here. Sand some and then see what you have, see how pitted is it? Could you do some of your own spot blasting at home with something like this. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2824_200022824

I do a combination on most stuff like that. The inner structural areas have it sand blasted if you have a guy who can be trusted. Then the outer areas strip it with an orbital sander and then spot blast it with Black Diamond.

If you don't have a nice orbital sander as Eric suggested, buy one, you will need it in the future for body work anyway, great tool to have.

These here are AWESOME for cleaning up minor rust. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carborund...&wl13=&veh=sem

Brian

Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 AM   #17
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've got one of those 5 gal sandblasters from sears and roebuck that I've used for small stuff...I've also got some of those paint removing disc you pictured...I've got the inside track on those.. (I work for 3m)...we have returned goods sales at work so I have a near endless supply of autobody stuff...
Old 11-06-2017, 01:18 AM   #18
my56chevytruck

I can speak of direct experience having soda blasting done and due to the humidity in the air, it packed into crevices that will take you months to get cleaned out. I'd suggest you DA as much as you can, I wouldn't solely blast surface rust, that's me. then find a good media blaster (plastic/glass beads) and have them go over what you couldn't get to, and make damned sure you get get an "experienced" blaster that has had previous experience in doing this kind of work. If you find much pitting, then I'd fall onto a surface prep and or bondo to smooth the surface before priming/painting.

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 11-06-2017 at 01:24 AM.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #19
Advanced Design

Just another thought Mongo, do you have a Redi-strip facility available? I've had fenders done and they came out very clean.

Don't know how far you are from St. Louis. A buddy of mine there is a professional metal shaper and he also does blasting, so he understands what is going on with blasting stretch and how to avoid it.

And like a couple guys mentioned, you can probably get it cleaned up yourself. Solid looking truck there!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #20
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Just another thought Mongo, do you have a Redi-strip facility available? I've had fenders done and they came out very clean.

Don't know how far you are from St. Louis. A buddy of mine there is a professional metal shaper and he also does blasting, so he understands what is going on with blasting stretch and how to avoid it.

And like a couple guys mentioned, you can probably get it cleaned up yourself. Solid looking truck there!
Really huh! Looks like a fun project, no crap, just regular old "fixing up" and wham a daily driver.

Brian

Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #21
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Doug I've seen that immersion removal done on a few tv shows but I don't know of anywhere near me that does it...
yeah I could clean it myself given enough time but I'm kinda rushing this so my dad can enjoy it...he's 83....but I want to do it as right as I can without dragging it out 4 or 5 years....keeping in mind I'm no bodyman...I have done a few trucks bodywork and paint...

as far as solid, yall can't imagine how clean and rust free this truck is...I only wish my AD was this solid...even the paint in under the fenderwells looks good...all the bolts I've looked at are even clean and rustfree
Old 11-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #22
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Doug I've seen that immersion removal done on a few tv shows but I don't know of anywhere near me that does it...
yeah I could clean it myself given enough time but I'm kinda rushing this so my dad can enjoy it...he's 83....but I want to do it as right as I can without dragging it out 4 or 5 years....keeping in mind I'm no bodyman...I have done a few trucks bodywork and paint...

as far as solid, yall can't imagine how clean and rust free this truck is...I only wish my AD was this solid...even the paint in under the fenderwells looks good...all the bolts I've looked at are even clean and rustfree
I'd try to do what you can by yourself to see if you get the results you want, then move onto the next attempt. Only you know what the surface condition is, so I'd move slowly to try all you can 1st. As you see, there's a lot of opinions and we've all done what we think is the best way, and many times, we'll move onto to other directions. Best of luck
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
mongocanfly
Post Whore

well I weighed the pros and cons and after talking to my local media blast guy I felt pretty good with letting him blast my big stuff....he uses a coal byproduct and only runs 40psi at the gun...he showed me a bunch of pictures of cars and trucks he had recently done. ..some for a very meticulous local car restorer...
so I took him the hood,.front inner and outer fenders ,grill support and tailgate...
it turned out great...he had it cleaned up in no time and I got it in epoxy that afternoon...very pleased..
I'm still doing my small parts with my blaster....its just easier on bigger items to have it done by him..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver