The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
NONHOG

Re: Let's see your homemade crafts!

Had a 1/4 I bought from Steve@OldSub. (RIP) cut out what I needed and had much left over. I'm not done yet, but a Dragon fly is what it will be someday. Planned to grind off all the paint but Momma is happy with
"the look" as is. Needs a bit more trimmimg and a small amount of bending/twisting.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #27
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Great thread!

Lockdoc.... you need to include a picture of your house, and...

Hey Nate, I Will dig one out here in a few minutes. Thanks

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #28
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Well, this isn’t really a craft but I guess it’s “homemade”…

This is a picture of the house my wife and I built. It took us 3 years to complete. The only things we didn’t do are hanging and finishing the sheetrock and the shingles on the roof. Some of the features of our home are: Wood house and garage foundations, Wood basement floor, and wood garage floor. (2 car attached garage) 3 bedrooms (2 down & 1 up), a sewing/craft room (in upstairs area), 2 Bathrooms (1 on 1st floor & 1 in upstairs area), 1st floor laundry, central vacuum system, and a breakfast nook. The main floor is handicap accessible with 3 foot wide doorways, a five foot wide main hallway, and Wheel chair accessible shower.

The only concrete used in the construction of this home was 14 bags of dry concrete mix used for setting the posts for the front porch.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #29
68_Shortbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Had a 1/4 I bought from Steve@OldSub. (RIP) cut out what I needed and had much left over. I'm not done yet, but a Dragon fly is what it will be someday. Planned to grind off all the paint but Momma is happy with
"the look" as is. Needs a bit more trimmimg and a small amount of bending/twisting.
Very neat, it should look good when you are done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

This is a picture of the house my wife and I built. It took us 3 years to complete. The only things we didn’t do are hanging and finishing the sheetrock and the shingles on the roof. Some of the features of our home are: Wood house and garage foundations, Wood basement floor, and wood garage floor. (2 car attached garage) 3 bedrooms (2 down & 1 up), a sewing/craft room (in upstairs area), 2 Bathrooms (1 on 1st floor & 1 in upstairs area), 1st floor laundry, central vacuum system, and a breakfast nook. The main floor is handicap accessible with 3 foot wide doorways, a five foot wide main hallway, and Wheel chair accessible shower.

The only concrete used in the construction of this home was 14 bags of dry concrete mix used for setting the posts for the front porch.

LockDoc
Well done LockDoc and Misses LockDoc, the house looks beautiful.

1968 Chevy K/10 short box fleetside (my project)
1969 Chevy Z/28 Camaro (my dad's project)
1968 Chevy C/20 long box fleetside (parts truck)
68_Shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #30
Indian113

You have too see it in person as it's really a beautiful home. While your there he's also known for his Ice Cream and baked treats!!! Pretty good people -those two.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
flashed

Makes me want to visit Iowa .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
franken

Does this count?
Bought as a truckload of parts. It was crashed and burned before I got it.
It's been together 10 years so it's now old and dirty, but it's got personality...
Attached Images

franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #33
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
-

LockDoc
Very nice house ,,exactly what the wife wanted .nice big covered porch..and the breakfast octagon look from the oustside is a great addition to the look of the house.. gotta ask ya ,,why is it that you decided not to use cement for a foundation.. not knocking anything Leon ,,I am just used to the mold and rot from Oregon on the coastal areas ..

Did you tear down the existing farm house on the property,, I say that cause of the photo of your old barn I have seen..nice ol barn too..

I have noticed that in my adventures of remodeling that some of the old old houses that were built on wood foundations have lasted better than some houses do when they are skirted in.. air keeps the wood from rotting..

I built this log house for a lady and will post a photo of it down the line aways ,,don't want your house to make mine look bad..lol
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #34
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Very nice house ,,exactly what the wife wanted .nice big covered porch..and the breakfast octagon look from the oustside is a great addition to the look of the house.. gotta ask ya ,,why is it that you decided not to use cement for a foundation.. not knocking anything Leon ,,I am just used to the mold and rot from Oregon on the coastal areas ..

Did you tear down the existing farm house on the property,, I say that cause of the photo of your old barn I have seen..nice ol barn too..

I have noticed that in my adventures of remodeling that some of the old old houses that were built on wood foundations have lasted better than some houses do when they are skirted in.. air keeps the wood from rotting..

I built this log house for a lady and will post a photo of it down the line aways ,,don't want your house to make mine look bad..lol

Thanks Larry,

The main reason I decided on the wood was by going that way I could do it all myself. I didn't have to hire the concrete work done. We don't have much of a mold problem here and I installed drain tile under the basement floor and all the way around the outside of the foundation walls. It drains out to the road ditch so no water problems at all.

The original farm house was burned down by the previous owner just before we bought the property...

When building a wood foundation for a house you have to use "Foundation Grade" treated wood. It is completely different than treated wood for decks & outdoor projects. When we built our house there was a contractor in Des Moines, IA building them the same way we did ours, and he was guaranteeing them for 75 years. I talked to him at the state fair.

Post up the pictures of the log house. I have a soft spot for them... I really like the wooden chests you made also.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is the only stained glass piece i have ever done. It is supposed to be Morning Glory's but I didn't do the shading in the glass quite right on the petals so they look a little flat. I still have all of the glass & tools so I may do another different one down the road...

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 11-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #36
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
Too tired to find pics right now
Duck decoys
Here is a couple!
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
GOPAPA

Leon .I like the firetruck ,,good measurements on it ,, my eyes are bad ,whats the shiny thing in the rear of it ,,a tank? also the wife likes your house and likes the leaded glass too.. I told her you probably had 48 on and 48 off at the firehouse ..lol

Nonhog ,,wife likes the butterfly ,,so do I ,,nice metal work ,,got to ask tho,,whats the first photo of above the butterfly? is it the butterfly part or a hatchet.. eyes again ,,sorry .. that I need to ask,,lol The Ducks are great ..I bet they would being other ducks down to the pond ..
Old 11-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #38
NONHOG

Quote:
Nonhog ,,wife likes the butterfly ,,so do I ,,nice metal work ,,got to ask tho,,whats the first photo of above the butterfly? is it the butterfly part or a hatchet.. eyes again ,,sorry .. that I need to ask,,lol The Ducks are great ..I bet they would being other ducks down to the pond ..
Thanks GOPAPA, above the "Dragonfly" is the 1/4 panel I cut it out from.
The ducks are Sillyoldman creations. Very nice.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #39
68_Shortbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Does this count?
Bought as a truckload of parts. It was crashed and burned before I got it.
It's been together 10 years so it's now old and dirty, but it's got personality...
Nice shovelhead! Its not technically "homemade" but you did build it, so I think we can let it slide.
Quote:
-
Here is the only stained glass piece i have ever done. It is supposed to be Morning Glory's but I didn't do the shading in the glass quite right on the petals so they look a little flat. I still have all of the glass & tools so I may do another different one down the road...

LockDoc
It looks very nice to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Here is a couple!
These are very cool, nice job!
Quote:
This is a big tinkering that I did some 25 years erecting and building this Log House ,pine log lower and stick framed upper..

This lady had a friend that put up the money for all this building before he died ,,She had his ashes put into the cement of the foundation to this log house.. I said okay so helped her do so when pouring the cement for the foundation walls..

Inside the log house the lady wanted rope trim around all the corners and doors and windows,, only photo I could find of the rope trim

This is where I was replacing the rotted shake roof with metal roofing. this photo is some years after the log house build

The lady wanted a barn ,,so this is what I built for her

Then the lady wanted a secret bunkhouse inside the barn so this is what I came up with doors to look like just a storage room in a barn.

This is the insides of the bunk house with a kitchen ,visiting room ,bed room
You did a really nice job on it, it looks great! The bunk house is a cool addition to the barn too.

1968 Chevy K/10 short box fleetside (my project)
1969 Chevy Z/28 Camaro (my dad's project)
1968 Chevy C/20 long box fleetside (parts truck)
68_Shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #40
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Leon .I like the firetruck ,,good measurements on it ,, my eyes are bad ,whats the shiny thing in the rear of it ,,a tank? also the wife likes your house and likes the leaded glass too.. I told her you probably had 48 on and 48 off at the firehouse ..lol..
Larry,

It is the steam boiler. The picture was taken before I put the top on it. I turned the top out of pine on my wood lathe...

Tell your wife thank you for me. Our shifts were 24 on 48 off.

Quote:
This is a big tinkering that I did some 25 years erecting and building this Log House ,pine log lower and stick framed upper..

This lady had a friend that put up the money for all this building before he died ,,She had his ashes put into the cement of the foundation to this log house.. I said okay so helped her do so when pouring the cement for the foundation walls..

Inside the log house the lady wanted rope trim around all the corners and doors and windows,, only photo I could find of the rope trim

This is where I was replacing the rotted shake roof with metal roofing. this photo is some years after the log house build

The lady wanted a barn ,,so this is what I built for her

Then the lady wanted a secret bunkhouse inside the barn so this is what I came up with doors to look like just a storage room in a barn.

This is the insides of the bunk house with a kitchen ,visiting room ,bed room

Man, that cabin is neat. I didn't expect to see that much room in the bunkhouse... What a hide away...

LockDoc

-
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #41
GOPAPA

Man, that cabin is neat. I didn't expect to see that much room in the bunkhouse... What a hide away...

LockDoc

Acually the lady had me come back and section off a 12x24 part of the barn to make more living space as she moved out of her log house and her son and family moved in there.. I put in a small round window so she could check on her mule from this new section..I built llama sheds ,garden shed ,wood shed ,,big building to store her farm impliments and motor home ,,Had to move to Idaho to get away with being over at her place so much,,lol not really

I sold my home out in Oregon this last summer and one thing that the new owner gal made sure I left behind was this swing I built .. this is winter photo some years back,,

Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #42
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

LockDoc

Acually the lady had me come back and section off a 12x24 part of the barn to make more living space as she moved out of her log house and her son and family moved in there.. I put in a small round window so she could check on her mule from this new section..I built llama sheds ,garden shed ,wood shed ,,big building to store her farm impliments and motor home ,,Had to move to Idaho to get away with being over at her place so much,,lol not really

I sold my home out in Oregon this last summer and one thing that the new owner gal made sure I left behind was this swing I built .. this is winter photo some years back,,

Wow, no wonder you moved..... I like the swings, we have one on the front porch.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #43
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here are a few of the clocks I have made from scratch. Most of them are wall clocks. I tape them off and sandblast the designs on them.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #44
GOPAPA

Quote:
-
Here are a few of the clocks I have made from scratch. Most of them are wall clocks. I tape them off and sandblast the designs on them.

LockDoc
A lot of that work I did for the lady with the Log House was done in the early 80ies off and on until the 90ies ,,then after I retired in 04 I built the bunk house and other sheds.. then,,, it was more fun than work as I had all the time in the world it felt like..

Very nice work on the clocks Leon,, patients and good eyes and imagination and you got them all and your end results shows it ..

I knew I had to share these with the wife because of the light house one,, she has a collection of light house glass shelf things and sure enough she picked it right off,, she also likes the one with Jesus on the face too.. I like that one too and the fire truck ,,I guess because it represents your life long occupation .. I need one showing a guy smashing his thumb with a hammer,,
Old 12-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #45
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
A lot of that work I did for the lady with the Log House was done in the early 80ies off and on until the 90ies ,,then after I retired in 04 I built the bunk house and other sheds.. then,,, it was more fun than work as I had all the time in the world it felt like..

Very nice work on the clocks Leon,, patients and good eyes and imagination and you got them all and your end results shows it ..

I knew I had to share these with the wife because of the light house one,, she has a collection of light house glass shelf things and sure enough she picked it right off,, she also likes the one with Jesus on the face too.. I like that one too and the fire truck ,,I guess because it represents your life long occupation .. I need one showing a guy smashing his thumb with a hammer,,

Thanks Larry.

Things are always more fun if you are not on a schedule, that's for sure.

The only clock I actually had a request to build was the one with Jesus on the face. I forgot to include this Octagon schoolhouse clock that I built for the daughter and her husband as a wedding gift...

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #46
Flames97

Here are a few of my crafts.
I really enjoy seeing everyone else's so I thought I'd share

The first is a T.V. hutch. built out of cedar the doors have a tin insert which I punched to make the design.
Name:  IMG_0306.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  45.4 KB

Then the gun cabinet made from pine.
Name:  IMG_0310.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  41.7 KB

This is a salt and pepper holder and napkins go between the horse shoe's
I made them out of 1" flat stock and the shank going to the rowels is 1/4" then just ground it to the shape I wanted.
Name:  IMG_0323.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  44.3 KB

And the wife needed a place to put all of her rolling pins
Name:  IMG_0324.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  54.1 KB

'15.5 Chevy Duramax LTZ/Z71, LML, CC/SB
'77 Chevy K10, 4" lift, 33-12.50, 350/350
'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Flames97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #47
Flames97

One more metal craft.
I made this blade for small Kubota tractor. It's made from scraps I had a laying in the metal pile. The main blade is a chunk cut out of a hot water tank.
Name:  IMG_1764.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1771.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1777.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  44.8 KB

'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #48
GOPAPA

Nice work there flames 97 ,,,the cabinet looks great and especially with the tin work .. I envy you and your talents with the metal work as I never got into welding .. nice looking plow and could of fooled me ,,looks just like it could of came from a company that makes them. strong too.. You are the only person I ever knew who lives where you do ,,way north in the state and about exactly middle.. some day I'd like to travel that area of Washington.. thx for sharin ,,I bet you got more..
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #49
Flames97

Quote:
Nice work there flames 97 ,,,the cabinet looks great and especially with the tin work .. I envy you and your talents with the metal work as I never got into welding .. nice looking plow and could of fooled me ,,looks just like it could of came from a company that makes them. strong too.. You are the only person I ever knew who lives where you do ,,way north in the state and about exactly middle.. some day I'd like to travel that area of Washington.. thx for sharin ,,I bet you got more..
GOPAPA, Thank you. I love the area I live in. Defenitely travel here, great country and places to see if your into the outdoors. I actually lived in Meridian, ID for a summer.
I do have a couple more projects I've made. Maybe I'll see if I can get some pic's. And last night just started a new project for Christmas so I'll post pic's of it when it's done. All these projects sidetrack me from my pickup but the are fun.
Thanks again for the kind words.

My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build

Last edited by Flames97; 12-05-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: My spelling sucks
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #50
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Well Flames, I have some tin punching work for you if you want to make a trip to Iowa..... When we built the house I built a walk in closet in the master bedroom. It has a built in wardrobe with tin inserts in the doors. I was always going to punch a design in the tin but have never got around to doing it. Nice work on the designs.

I really like the natural wood projects, they look so much better than the store bought stuff. Great work.

LockDoc

-