The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
macdodd

Oil pressure gauge,

Should there be air bubbles in the small oil line that goes between the engine and the gauge at the dash. I just put in a new line and didn't know how tight to make it. Is there away to get air bubbles out,,,,I'll check again to make sure there is none in the line. Just want to make sure I get the correct pressure reading. At 2000 rpm,,,I'm carrying about 25lb of pressure,,,pressure is steady and rises with increased rpms. The old line was leaking at the engine and was, lord knows,,,,how old,,,LOL,,,,,thanks for the help,,,Bill
macdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
bigmac73

Re: Oil pressure gauge,

since it is only under pressure with the engine running , it will get air bubbles in it from shutting down the engine and starting it back up

normal standards are 10 psi for every 1000RPMS so I think you are okay
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
macdodd

Thanks for your help,,,,I'm running a 350 with 305 heads,,,hot cam,,,,runs great,,,,loves the gas,,,LOL. Just bought in Jan.,,,,replaced the oil pan/gaskets,,,no more leaks.
macdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
MagmaJct

If I understand the physics or fluid power, it should not matter. Push 30 PSI of oil into a volume with trapped air, the trapped air will compress until it's producing 30 of pressure.

Having said that, what about brakes? Notice I said the trapped air will compress? Brake hydraulics are more about moving fluid a certain distance than they are about pressure. Yes, pressure does build in the line, but we don't care what pressure is in the line, as long as we move the wheel cylinders/calipers an expected distance!

Regards,
Mike

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmaJct View Post
If I understand the physics or fluid power, it should not matter. Push 30 PSI of oil into a volume with trapped air, the trapped air will compress until it's producing 30 of pressure.

Having said that, what about brakes? Notice I said the trapped air will compress? Brake hydraulics are more about moving fluid a certain distance than they are about pressure. Yes, pressure does build in the line, but we don't care what pressure is in the line, as long as we move the wheel cylinders/calipers an expected distance!

Regards,
Mike
Good point! Brakes are around 1000psi line pressure if I'm not mistaken.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
cdowns

if you can see air does that mean you don't have a copper tube to carry the oil in?? bad bad move if you've got the plastic
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
hugger6933

The air bubbles are normal no worries there. I think you might want to consider changing to the copper type line. Just to avoid the hot oil shower for your legs if it ruptures, although I never had that happen or know of it happening to anybody I know. The safer the truck and our hobbies in general are the more enjoyment we can get from them. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote