The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Cool vintage canopy ... Longhorn?

So I was over at an acquaintances house today looking at some stuff he was going to be getting rid of that was his father in laws. Sorry guys no trucks like ours. But he said he wanted to get rid of this canopy and they were keeping the truck. I was thinking awesome, Ill take it. Pretty sure an 8ft bed is an 8ft bed, should fit on one of my trucks. Get out the tape measure ... 8'6", the Ford is a Camper Special (or whatever Ford called them) and its like a Longhorn 6 inches longer.

Like I said they want to sell it off but it wont work for me. Any local guys looking for a canopy that might fit on their Longhorn shoot me a text and Ill hook you guys up. No idea what they would take for it.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Cool vintage canopy ... Longhorn?

The overall measurement is 8' 6"? I don't know of Ford ever building a longer Camper Special. The only ones I know Ford did on 1t cab & chassis frame were in the late-70s, but the bed was standard length with the wheel opening moved back.

This should fit a Chevy or a Dodge longbed. They measure a bit over 8' inside the bed. I guess the front panel and tailgate make up another 6". I can measure the one for my '72 from an '80s GM Truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:36 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I guess Ive never actually measured one of our truck boxes with a tape. I measured this canopy from front edge to back edge and it was 8 feet 6 inches. I then measured the box from back edge to that line on the box before the tail light, opposite of how a Longhorn, being the Longhorn extra chunk is on the cab side. Anyway it was 8 feet to that line and another 6 inches to the edge of the tail light.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:21 AM   #4
jumpsoffrock

Man that is COOL, I bet those things are hard to find in that condition. Makes me want a longhorn just to put under it.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:55 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

All Fords have that seam at the rear corner, even short beds. They didn't like using a single panel for the bedside the way GM did. The next body got a horizontal seam the length of the bedside that liked to rust out.

I'll go measure my truck and cap (canopy/shell)
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-26-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My unibody was bobbed in the back by previous owner so no line. But maybe unibodys didnt have lines vs standard box?

I may call him today and pick it up anyway if he doesnt want a mint for it. Might be possible to cut it down?
Old 08-28-2022, 06:04 AM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Might be possible to cut it down?
A buddy of mine got an 8' topper for free, and cut it down to fit his 6' Nissan. Totally possible. He de-skinned the area, then shortened the frame, and then after trimming, fastened the skin back on.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I offered him 200 bucks on the canopy. He passed, said he can get a lot more for it than that. I told him he probably could but that's all I was willing to give for it considering what I would have to do to get it to work for me. I already have an old aluminum canopy similar to this minus the opening louvered side windows. His is cooler =)

Ive picked up several of these over the years for less and even free. But they are coming back around to be something people want ... I should have stocked up heh.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:20 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

That's fine. I think it's a bit big. I measured mine and forgot to get back to this. So, sorry about that. 8' 3" is pretty much the length of my bed and the sq. body cap measures about the same.

Tim