The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Truckstr

When you guys buy replacement parts...

Do you look for specific brand names?

I'm contemplating buying a new alternator for a car I'm thinking of purchasing. I've looked at O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, Auto Zone and NAPA (I hate NAPA's website - cumbersome). Over time, I've had pretty good luck with Advance Auto's parts, but I'm not locked in.

I've heard of a couple of other brands (Summit Racing and Jeg's sell some), but have never bought one. Down the line, I'll be getting a new one for my '67 (CS maybe?).

Tell me what ya think/what your experience has been.

Thanks!

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: When you guys buy replacement parts...

my thing is to establish a rapport with the mom and pop auto parts store down the road and buy from them.. they tend to stand behind their product and have automobile knowledge . what works and what doesnt interchange numbers etc and is not some HS flunkie who got tired of flipping burgers and is now attempting to read off a computer screen about cars they know nothing about
I really hate to buy online i dont trust the security of things and returns are ALWAYS a hassle.. i like having a body to yell at if it becomes necessary.. plus it takes an hour or so to do an alternator from popping it out to getting it to installing it not three to five days
nothing beats human customer service from a shop that needs your patronage

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Truckstr

I like having a human to talk to, as well. But I don't shy away from online sales too badly. Maybe I just haven't been burned yet, though. Ot maybe I'm just careful.

Nah, an alternator isn't normally a big job, but the dang things can get expensive. I'm looking at a 140amp unit (CS setup for serpentine) "Palladium" unit from Advance. But, I don't have any experience with 'em. My mechanic buddy always tells me to buy only GM. I will on some stuff, but not everything.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckstr View Post
Do you look for specific brand names?

I'm contemplating buying a new alternator for a car I'm thinking of purchasing. I've looked at O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, Auto Zone and NAPA (I hate NAPA's website - cumbersome).

Thanks!

I stick with O'Reillys on the potentially important stuff -- they usually have name brand stuff for an upcharge over the baseline stuff.

Here's my experience with A'Zone stuff --- clutch in my '91 Z28 went out at 80k , i was a cash strapped college student , so i bought the cheapest A'Zone unit they had with a lifetime warranty. My driving habits stayed the same , but the autozone clutch pack only lasted 10 - 15k. Each time, i took it back and it was replaced at no cost - i must have done that 5 times, because when i got rid of the car , it had 160k on it.

The way they stood behind the warranty is commendable, but the point is ....... I had to do it 5 times!?

you really do get what you pay for

:bansex:
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
fine69

I buy almost all my autoparts at Advance Auto Parts. My parts people are pro's.
I NEVER have trouble returning stuff. And they can get TONS more stuff than anyone else.
When i needed brake drums for a 69 GMC a few years ago NOBODY had them. Advance got them next day.
I call them first. Everytime.
NO I DONT WORK FOR THEM.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Truckstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
NO I DONT WORK FOR THEM.
LOL That's good to know. LOL

I like the way the main parts counter guy handles the customers. He knows what he's doing on the parts too. Today, that's important. It seems like most of the counter people don't.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
71big block
1971 GMC 3/4 ton, 572 CID

Around here I've had very good service from Auto-Zone and I find their website very easy to use.

"We always have parts left over on a job this size"
71big block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

with Advanced it seems like hit or miss... i hear stories about bad guys in there alot but the advanced ive dealt with in NJ and also in Sydney NY both have knowledgeable people in it.. there was one kid who was bad in NJ but it seems he didnt last too long. I know the guys in my local napa and use them for the most part, and its a private auto parts store that uses the Napa franchise not a franchise owned store.. i dont even bother to go into Pep Boys, R&S Strauss or Autozone unless i need oil and filters in an emergency as not only are most of their employees about as bright as dead 15 watt lightbulbs, but their prices stink... i priced an exhaust for fun installed at pepboys and they quoted me $631 for parts alone and thats using my old catalyctic converter and they wanted me to pay more for labor.. i laughed in their faces.. i took the thing to a buddys shop and he charged me $400 including labor including the Y pipe and labor.. the parts were almost that at Advanced and my local place so i feel i got a great deal plus i didnt have to lay on the cold ground all day doing it on my back...
I did buy some parts from advanced online and they offer free shipping on orders over $50 but like i said i like to buy from people i know.. there is alot to be said when you walk into a store and say "hi Bill! and he says "Hi Bob!" and spends a couple of minutes chatting and meaning it when he asks how your family is.. and visa versa..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am about the same as Fine69, I have had very good luck with the Advanced Auto locally. Most of the time I find what I need on the web site, then I go talk to them in person.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
cdowns

i always look to buy local for regular maintenance parts for daily driver type vehicles i like human contact depends which direction i'm heading that day some days are clockwise days the rest are counterclockwise napa carquest advanced is the order i go on clockwise days// i figure going to three stores i have a good chance of rembering everything i need b4 getting home
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 11-14-2007 at 06:16 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Truckstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71big block View Post
Around here I've had very good service from Auto-Zone and I find their website very easy to use.
When I lived in Cookeville, I loved my Auto Zone. Here in Lebanon, not at all. Hit or miss, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I am about the same as Fine69, I have had very good luck with the Advanced Auto locally. Most of the time I find what I need on the web site, then I go talk to them in person.
I really like Advance Auto's website. Really easy to use.

Bob, I know what you mean about being familiar with the person you're talking with. It means a lot. It means more to me at the bank though, than at the auto parts store. But, as much business as I've done at my local bank, they still don't seem to know me. It kind of hurts my feelings. (Impersonal bastiches)

Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
Truckstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i always look to buy local for regular maintenance parts for daily driver type vehicles i like human contact depends which direction i'm heading that day some days are clockwise days the rest are counterclockwise napa carquest advanced is the order i go on clockwise days// i figure going to three stores i have a good chance of rembering everything i need b4 getting home
Why do I have a picture in my mind of Gomer Pyle slapping his fingers against the desk edge and making his choice from which finger stings the most?

Nah, I like NAPA parts pretty well. The store just isn't as convenient as Advance. The guys at O'Reilly's seem to know their stuff pretty good. Prolly the best place in my town for knowledgeable staff is Carquest. But they're clear on the other side of town from me. And they have funky hours too. It's just not convenient at all.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
71big block
1971 GMC 3/4 ton, 572 CID

LMAO at the Gomer remark, that's rich!!!!!!

"We always have parts left over on a job this size"
71big block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Up here in Alaska we have NAPA, CARQUEST & SCHMUKS err SCHUCKS auto supply. Ive worked for all 3 in the past and have to say that my personal choice is NAPA and if you want a 94 amp small case alternator the part # to get is 213-4356 It'll fit right in place of the stock 63 amp model
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #15
Truckstr

Thanks BLE 'BURBAN, I'll have to remember that.