The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
full foot notch

garage door opener crapped out

well i was doing one thing on the list that i been meaning to do, which was to reset the open and close tab on the garage door opener so it would close correctly (all stems back from when i had to replace the plastic drive wheel for the chain and all since it had worn out). well i didnt have a physical load on the arm so that it would be less stress since it was opening and closing a lot. well i got the close tab installed and the motor and everything back up. well i was running it and all of a sudden i hear a hiss like a soda being slowly opened, and i saw the magic blue smoke come out. well i instantly knew that it was a capacitor or a transformer. took off the cover and saw a brown thick liquid so im assuming it was an oil filled capacitor. so im gonna say F it and get a new garage door opener setup that ill just retrofit to the old door and brackets

the one i have right now is a 1/3hp Challenger 1000 , most likely ill go up to a 1/2hp for the hell of it, it does not have the breakbeam setup but is the crush resistance setup, ie it hits something and feels resistance it reverses direction.

anyone recomend good brands and brands to stay away from
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: garage door opener crapped out

Is it a Genie opener? Ask for three wishes when the smoke clears...... Haar.
Anyway. That sucks. I had to replace my grandmothers opener. The first two new ones were defective. Third time was a charm.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
j hannah
comfortably numb

check out the local sears service center. they sell remanufactured openers alot cheaper than the new ones,and they carry a new warranty

1974 chevy k-10
1973 pontiac grandville(turnpike cruiser)
j hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Select
Friday's Toy

I put in a Genie Elcelerator(sp) on my garage several years back. That thing yanks the 200lb+ wood door up so fast it'll make your head spin. My logic board is on the fritz right now so I just plug it in as needed. The garage is so full of crap right now I don't open it unless I need to. At the time I put mine in it was around $289 purchase price. I can get a new logic board for around 65 bucks. The wife's uncle installed garage doors and such until recently. I figured out it was the logic board by accident. One time late at night around 11:30 or so I hear the door open and the wife and I are in the livingroom watching tv. I told her to go in the bedroom with the dogs and I'll go out with the gun. I circle the house the back way and no one was to be found. We keep openers in the work trucks and I thought someone had gotten into them and opened the garage door. I called the uncle the next day and he said to get a logic board and it'll be good to go. He said it's the easiest money he's ever made on the Genies......Mikey

2009 Jeep Rubicon

2011 Powerstroke FX4 (totaled)

71 C10, SWB Fleet with factory tilt

72 LWB C10, 350 700R4 with factory tilt
Select is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

I have a Chamberlain 1/2hp chain drive in my garage. I had two, gave one to the next door neighbor.

Works great, every time.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Shane
Account Suspended

Genie screw drive here after lightning got my Chamberlain chain drive. The Genie is sooooo much quieter and smoother.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
6772fan

Select- I have a Genie Excelerator as well. It's been in place for several years and the only problem I've had is the logic board went out on it. I called Genie, described the problem, and they sent me a new one and I only had to pay about 8.00 for shipping and handling. Basically it has a lifetime warranty and you just need to provide a copy of your original receipt.

1979 Chevy SWB- (Second owner- Father in Law was first)

1979 Chevy Silverado SWB-Red/Red
6772fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I shopped all the local stores and the best deal was at Sams Club. I went with a Chamberlain 1/2hp set that had extra remotes, and a wall mount opener too....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-22-2007 at 01:41 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #9
full foot notch

is chain drive or screw drive better as far as reliability, long term use, service-ability, IE overall?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I have never had a screw drive, so I can't attest to relability. I noticed in my shopping that almost all of the larger HP units were chain drive. Honestly, I think that is more of a packaging concern, but I have no facts to back that up.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
full foot notch

well the screw drive may be better for wear and quiet, since all it does is follow the thread pattern, its just probably a B to install compared to running a chain back and forth
Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

The screw drive is actually not any harder to install. I love both of mine since switching from chain to screw drive.

Last edited by Shane; 09-22-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
byrd
Union Electrician

Mine went out a few months ago, was a 1/2 HP chamberlain and made it about 15 yrs(not bad). I had The Overhead Door Co.(They own Genie and manufactor Genie's opener's) come out and put a new opener with 2 remotes, wall opener, and a keypad and breakbeam set up for $335 and didn't even get my hands dirty.
The thing is that I have a taller door that the average garage, 5 panels vrs 4. So finding the right opener was a tad harder, at least for me it was.
My issue was by the time I purchased the same opener they were using(one piece design, no crappy 2,3, or 4 piece design to wear out, chain driven special order only, this thing is LONG!!) keypad and all I would have been out about $275.00, so for the $75 more I let them do the work and have the headaches, and it is better for warranty work as well
Now I am able and could have put up the opener, but for their price, I could spend the same 3-4 hrs doing electrical work and still come out ahead. You have to remeber what YOUR time is worth to you and make the call.Just my .02.....Randy

BTW I am fairly certain that any new opener installed IS required by National building codes to have the breakbeam set up. Just food for thought...
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

My lights quit working on mine
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #15
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
My lights quit working on mine

Most likly just need to unplug it and bend the little tab back up in the middle of the socket(where the bulbs go). You or the PO"s most likly have overtightened the light bulbs( very common) and have bent that center tab down to far and it can't make good contact. I don't know if this is your problem, but it is a easy thing to check.
FYI when installing a light bulb you only turn it until it snugs, then a 1/4 turn more and that is perfect, no need to try and bury is as far as it will go/ that only leads to problems.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 09-22-2007 at 11:27 PM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
full foot notch

well i finally got around to purchasing a garage door opener, put it together tonight and going to mount it tomorrow, with tax tag title, came out to damn near $200. but its a belt drive, and if ya look at the link from lowes where i got it, its a somewhat nice unit, i figured spend the little extra over the chain drive for a quieter one and a hell of a lot better warranty.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...739&lpage=none
Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i used the genie screw drive one on my garage and it works great for like five years now its the home depot one mid range 1/2 hp one

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #18
IAFF2407

A tip for your garage door. I used to instal these years ago when I was a kid and the number one reason for the opener to crap out was water. The bottom door panel will absorb all the ground water if it's not sealed properly, and over time adds a considerable amount of weight to the door. If the springs are not readjusted then the opener has to work harder. Best way to check the torsion spring adjustment is to open the door to waist high, it should balance there.

merry christmas all.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #19
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

what ever happen to the old fashion door opener ---the wife

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #20
bobthecop

I just bought the Chamberlain 3/4 hp belt drive at Lowes, now I get to figure out how to install it, hope the directions are understandable, been too cold to mess with it yet.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #21
full foot notch

well i just got done installing the thing by myself (its fun trying to dismount the old one and moving it by yourself while also trying to lift up and install the other one.

bob it is real simple to do as far as construction, careful of the orientation of the front rail and the rear rail, pretty much all snaps together, took me maybe an hour to assemble while reading the instructions.

wow what a difference this belt drive is, its really friggen quiet, i didnt know it could be that quiet, i dont know how i lived with that chain drive for such a long time, the only noise i hear now is the whir of the motor and some of the rollers rolling, thats it, no squeaks, no clacks, no loud chain noise. i am glad i bought this one.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #22
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I'm a little late to help you full foot, but as a head's up to others, I had a similar situation a couple years ago, and knowing a guy in the garage door business, I called him to see if mine could be repaired. It couldn't (electronic malfunction), but he happened to have a used one in the back of his truck that he had just taken down at another garage somewhere because that homeowner had put in a new garage door and screw-drive unit. He said he rarely ever had anyone wanting a used opener, and just gave it to me. It had a larger hp motor than my old one, but everything else was exactly the same, so I also have some spare parts for my unit since it was complete. Point being, it might be worth a call to garage door installers, they might just have a deal laying around!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #23
bpmcgee

These openers are the new hot setup:

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...px?modelId=834

I need to use these because the old type would interfere with my chain hoists. I just got one for $290 on eBay -- I'll provide pics when it's installed.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote