The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Fix my Tail Lights, but now NO Brake Lights

Well, I got underneath there and saw that the body shop put the bed down on top of a wire. The PO spliced the wires before they got to the plug behind the driver's rear wheel well for a trailer plug. So I got all that crap out of there and spliced the wires back into the original plug. Then I used female connectors from my tail lights and license plate light directly to the plug.

Problem:

Tail lights have a black wire and a white wire.

Driver's white wire goes to Yellow wire on harness/plug

Driver's black wire goes to Brown wire on harness/plug

License plate wire goes to Brown wire on harness/plug

Passenger white wire to Dark Green wire on harness/plug

Passenger black wire to Brown wire on harness/plug

I have tail lights but no brake lights or turn signal lights also the license plate light won't light up to and I tested the wire that goes to it and it's getting power (brand new bulb, unless wrong one---97)

Also still have NO Headlights, but the parking lamps come on when I turn the headlights on so I'm even more confused.

If you guys can help I'd appreciate it, I kind of need the brake lights

Bryan

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
motocrosschump

Headlights problem is more than likely your dimmer switch, or a bad lead wire off the battery.
1969 Chevelle 2 door 350/3
motocrosschump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
C10 Club Tennessee

I'll replace the dimmer switch. I replaced the stoplight switch, so that's not the problem.

Bryan

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69
Well, I got underneath there and saw that the body shop put the bed down on top of a wire. Bryan
Do I win a prize? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...74&postcount=4

4 wire trailer connector:
White=ground
Brown=tail lights/Tag light
Yellow=left turn/brake
Green=right turn brake

This help?

Edit: Re-read post. Tag lite sounds easy. Power available and no light = bad bulb or bad ground or both.

Edit again: I'm sure you can splice it and make it work fine. I go recreational junkyarding and grab the tail light harness from the firewall back complete.

Last edited by chickenwing; 09-16-2005 at 05:57 PM.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
cdowns

if your getting power at liscence light try a ground from the housing to the frame

check for power at the rear wheel plug for the signals //key on left signal on on you should have 12v at an intermittant (flashing rate) at the yellow wire no juice there??check for juice at the firewall plug same thing with the green for the right// if its hot at the firewallplug and not the rear wheel plug you've got more splicing to do //a cheap way is a place that sells trailers sells the 4wire bonded ribbon loom by the foot at cheap rates

headlights check for power at the bulb//have power??bad bulb or ground===no power go to dimmer the middle top blue wire the largest of the 3should be hot all the time when headlight switch is on sometimes just disconnecting and cleaning terminals will work// power at the dimmerswitch you can just run a short jumper wire from the blue to one of the other wires to check bulbs
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Did the dimmer switch help? I said that in one of your other threads about your problems. I know electrical problems can be a hassle but if you take a deep breath and maybe someone has a schematic on this board that you can follow and a meter to check continuity of the wire from end to end. Also could be due to wiring in the steering column as well. Good luck and if you need questions answered maybe we can all help.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote