The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

1972 K5 Blazer CST day 2 restoration.

Hey guys! Long time no see! Some of you may remember me, been a member since 2002. I've owned my blazer since I was 16. We're going on 20 years together! Lots of great memories in this old rig.

Anyways a bit about my truck! It's a 72 k5 With CST package. I bought it in 2000 down the street from my house for 500 bucks. It needed a brake job, and lots of other maintenance. But is an overall fairly unmolested truck. It was my daily driver for years. I've had several engines in it over the last 2 decades, and rebuilt most of the mechanicals, I even started on a 4bt swap years ago, but couldn't bring myself to complete it as it kinda changes what I initially wanted to build. Over the years I've had a lot of different ideas of how to build this thing, and I'm now at the point where I think I have a solid plan.

I've always loved original trucks the most, but with a twist. I call that the day 2 restoration. Mainly my idea is, it's 1972, you buy a new Blazer 4x4, and proceed to start outfitting it with parts to make it a capable back country explorer. Some of the parts you would have ordered from the factory, some would have been aftermarket, but together they will give it that tough vintage skinny tire 4x4 look.

The trucks original color was medium olive metallic with dark olive interior. Original double wall top. No ac. Not really a ton of options. I'll have to grab a picture of the spid. Anyways...

I'd like to paint it red with a black interior. I don't know why. But I have always loved that combo on a blazer.

So far this is the list of parts I have acquired or were on the truck when I got it.

I've got all the cst stuff and At some point my truck was fitted with:

•A smitty built rollbar
•Unknown aftermarket chrome push bar (probably installed at the same time it got the tube grill and repaint)
•Swing away tire carrier(it originally had that but was missing)

On top of that I have acquired

• Original transfer plate and gas tank skid plates
• A replacement cup holder console
• 2 original spare tire carriers, (I have had these so long that I will tell you I paid 50 dollars for 1 and 75 for the other.)
• perfect set of 4x4 hubcaps taken off a truck in 73.
• vintage Warn 8274 winch

The truck had the 4 inch lift on it when I got it, I've done a lot over the years. New gas tank, 4 core big block radiator conversion, headers, edelbrock intake and carb. Rebuilt transmission. When something broke i fixed it...or replaced it with better.

My plans call for rust repair, paint, new stock interior. I'm thinking of 1 deviation here. And that is bed liner on the floors vs carpet. I'd like to get some steel wheels and a few other parts

I think I need some
• tow hooks
• sliding rear windows.
• Vintage Warn winch bumper

Can you guys think of any "factory" or "early aftermarket" parts I need to add to my searches? I know about the Hickey Stuff, but not sure there is anything I need there.

What about the tow hooks? Are there rear hooks? Or just fronts?

I'd also like to say, I feel like the quality of restorations over the last 20 years have really improved. I love exact details and it seems like a lot of information has come to light that I will need to assimilate. I don't know how far down the rabbit hole i will go, but I want it to appear very factory, except in the areas it has been modified like the engine. I even found vintage Mickey Thompson valve covers for that authentic 70's hopped up look. At this point I am still kinda preping for all this and getting my ducks in a row so to speak. I just needed a place to store my thoughts in a more concrete manner. I am sure I will have lots of questions.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: 1972 K5 Blazer CST day 2 restoration.

Wow, $500? I’ll double that right now

Don’t bother with rear tow hooks. They are useless if you have a rear bumper. I put a set on my k20. Was a complete waste of time. As for vintage pieces, you could run a CB and these floor mats would look great in a red/black Blazer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-4x4...UAAOSwIy1f1jvb

Thanks for posting. Keep the updates coming.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
praisegeetarman

Very cool Blazer from your neighbor on the east side. Your "2 day restoration" is exactly the mindset I had with my Blazer. Tall, skinny tires on a set of 16X7 wheels I had made with maximum set in. Factory caps. Lots of Hickey stuff. Period correct cable operated warn winch. Period correct old school aluminum valve covers and dual snorkel air cleaner. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...pic77841_1.gif

Keith

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Good to see ya! Maybe add some cool OG KC Highlites!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
mrtoni

Following this. It’s right up my alley. I collect hickey but have branched out to Kc, Dick Cepek , warn, desert dynamics and con-ferr. There’s a group on fb about lifted trucks of 70’s 80’s 90’s where parts get traded. I have a few warn classic bumpers. They’re proud of em! About what you paid for your truck
Posted via Mobile Device
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Subbed to watch

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:45 AM   #7
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Wow, $500? I’ll double that right now

Don’t bother with rear tow hooks. They are useless if you have a rear bumper. I put a set on my k20. Was a complete waste of time. As for vintage pieces, you could run a CB and these floor mats would look great in a red/black Blazer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-4x4...UAAOSwIy1f1jvb

Thanks for posting. Keep the updates coming.
Good to know on the tow hooks! Thanks!

I read your complete thread on your blazer the other day. Beautiful truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisegeetarman View Post
Very cool Blazer from your neighbor on the east side. Your "2 day restoration" is exactly the mindset I had with my Blazer. Tall, skinny tires on a set of 16X7 wheels I had made with maximum set in. Factory caps. Lots of Hickey stuff. Period correct cable operated warn winch. Period correct old school aluminum valve covers and dual snorkel air cleaner. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...pic77841_1.gif

Keith
That's pretty close to what I am envisioning. Beautiful truck. Ochre is my favorite factory color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Good to see ya! Maybe add some cool OG KC Highlites!
I have some old school KC pleather covers. It used to have lights on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoni View Post
Following this. It’s right up my alley. I collect hickey but have branched out to Kc, Dick Cepek , warn, desert dynamics and con-ferr. There’s a group on fb about lifted trucks of 70’s 80’s 90’s where parts get traded. I have a few warn classic bumpers. They’re proud of em! About what you paid for your truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Lots of cool old stuff out there it seems. I never knew how much there was until recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Subbed to watch
Thanks
Old 12-22-2020, 03:59 AM   #8
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

So I've been digging around and kinda making plans.

I found an auxiliary battery tray I forgot I bought.

I've also been looking at the winches I have, and options for rebuilding them, I'm starting to wonder about buying a modern winch and hiding it behind the bumper. I know that's not exactly old school, but could be an option.

Also looks like I can't find my seat belts, they may have accidentally gone with another car. I sold, So I guess I need to find a set of those.

Does anyone know if the original style consoles ever had a locking option?

This week I got the dash lights working and the defrost tubes replaced. I don't have a working tempature gauge, I did some testing and I think its a bad circuit board. And also I'm not sure the blower motor is working at full speed. Need to do some testing there.

Other than that, I should mention I also have been collecting vintage camp gear, and fully intend to use this thing for camping.

Anyways. Hope you guys have a good holiday.

I need to source some Rockers, when I first bought this thing, you could still get GM rockers for them. Not sure if those are still available. Where is the best place for sheet metal these days?
Old 12-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

You might be able to locate some NOS rockers but the supply has seemed to really dry up and I’d imagine they’d likely fetch $500 or more w shipping. For reproduction pieces (sheet metal and other) I’d look at either Classic Heartbeat (also located in WA) https://www.classicheartbeat.com/ or GMC Paul’s
https://gmcpauls.com/ both owners are members here and they carry good product.

No locking OE console option. The aftermarket metal pieces like vintage Hickey and contemporary Tuffy have the ability to lock and could be an option. The Hickey console was briefly reproduced but I’ve not seen them offered again.

Sounds like good fun ahead. Have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:02 AM   #10
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Hope everyone had a good Christmas, haven't done much but look up parts and get my list of needed parts together.

I'm looking at interior kits, I also need to find some door panels and a good dash board. 1 deviation I am thinking of making is heated seats under the stock covers. I don't really like the look of modern seats, but I don't hate some of the tech!

Also maybe some broken pieces of a console to use a piece to fill a 50 cent piece hole. Maybe I can just use a flat piece of plastic and epoxy?

Also does anyone make metal glove boxes? Or what about lacquer coating it? I replaced mine about 20 years ago, but could use it again...

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on patch panels too, I figure the rust repair should keep me busy for some time.

If anyone knows of threads with good pictures of rust repair, 'd appreciate a link.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED72blazer View Post
Hope everyone had a good Christmas, haven't done much but look up parts and get my list of needed parts together.

I'm looking at interior kits, I also need to find some door panels and a good dash board. 1 deviation I am thinking of making is heated seats under the stock covers. I don't really like the look of modern seats, but I don't hate some of the tech!

Also maybe some broken pieces of a console to use a piece to fill a 50 cent piece hole. Maybe I can just use a flat piece of plastic and epoxy?

Also does anyone make metal glove boxes? Or what about lacquer coating it? I replaced mine about 20 years ago, but could use it again...

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on patch panels too, I figure the rust repair should keep me busy for some time.

If anyone knows of threads with good pictures of rust repair, 'd appreciate a link.
What part of the console are you needing, I should have all 3 pieces laying around. We have the best classifieds on the net, you'll try there.

I have some sheet metal repair in my build, working on the rear fender lip now

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote