The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
redneckgirl

My 03 Yukon XL Denali has some battle scars

It's amazing how quickly a few little mishaps add up....
When I got the Yukon in June of 07, it was in pretty great shape for the amount of miles it had on it. It was nearly perfect. A dime sized dent behind the rear bumper on the edge of the quarter panel, where it was fairly obvious it had been hit and the bumper repaired/replaced without fixing the small spot on the body....and a small crease in the driver's front fender, which was nearly hidden by the body line. My father-in-law, who is a body man for 38+ years, was the one to notice it.

That was it. Then after having it about 2 months or so, she got her first door ding in a Best Buy parking lot. I was pretty upset about it. I figure if I have to drive a family truckster, it can at least be a damn clean one. That was all for about a year...no more mishaps.

Then about 3 months ago, someone hit the driver's mirror, putting a scrape on the painted surface that just wouldn't buff out. GRRR....then just a few days later someone hit the right front corner of the bumper, leaving a scrape down to the plastic about an inch long. GRRR again....

About a week after that, in a moment of pure stupidity on my part, I did as hubby said, and while he was 'resting' on the couch, I had our 13 year old son be my spotter while trying to back the truck and car trailer between the house and a fairly large locust tree and squeeze it in next to a landscape trailer. The tool box on the car trailer is impossible to see, and can best be judged when there is a car on it. I had just unloaded the Comanche off of it, and was trying to park the trailer. I told Robby (the 13 year old) to watch the tool box and let me know if I was getting too close. I felt it hit...then Robby said "oh...you hit it"...gee boy...ya think?? The tool box was easy to hammer back out, but the damage to the bumper made it apparent it had in fact been repaired before....it gouged through the paint and the filler to show the plastic underneath...It will be easily repaired, but it still looks hideous to me. About 1 1/2 inches wide and about 4 inches long, to me it stands out like the Jolly Green Giant at a gathering of the vertically challenged....Double GRRR.....

Now last night, while I was leaving for work, I started backing up, checking my mirrors....but didn't see the OCC Schwinn Stingray that the neighbor kid parked behind it....it was my son's bike, but the little bugger across the street has a habit of coming over and riding it. It was pitch black when I left, so I never saw the thing sitting there. I hit it.....if you have ever seen one of these things, it's tricked out to look like an Orange County Chopper....The kickstand raises the front wheel completely off the ground. By the time I felt it, the oversized front wheel was under my left rear tire, and the big 'chopper style' handlebars had spun around and done a number on the quarterpanel. I got out with a flashlight to assess the damage... A 1/2 inch long dent, and a scuff about 7 inches long....and a black mark about 4 inches long from the rubber handlebar grip....

Now while in the minivan/suv set this is hardly noticeable I'm sure, I was devastated... I have never been one to be pigeonholed in that group. I don't consider it a SUV (I hate that term with a passion) It's a truck...it just holds a lot more people...
I was saying things that would make a sailor blush with shame, while looking at my poor truck... and in the back of my mind I can just hear some guy walking past it, laughing at the 'woman driver'... All these 'little' nicks and scrapes make it look like I drive by sound.....
Old 02-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Re: My 03 Yukon XL Denali has some battle scars

jeeez, better part it out before you total it....ill take the headlights !....lol

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

lol you aint rt 1loc10.
Jacki ya know I have the same - denali + loaded.. so other then engine grille same truck

I HATE when something happens.. but so its been ok.. a chip in the windshield that was there has spidered enough to annoy the piss outa me.. but not enough for j to fix yet (1/8 inch or so)
There are two white dots rt under my driver door handle.. im guessin a door ding, but dunno its a weird mark.. kinda like if someone took a poker n hit it hard.. again not enough to worry bout..

my big oopsie was my own fault. I had gone to the store n bought bleach. Had it in the back n was to lazy to take it in the house. Forgot about it and was driving "normal" so it flipped around and spilled. It wouldnt had been so bad if it was just the cargo rug .. but it outlined that as well.. so i have a white square border on 1/3 of the rug in the back and bleached out spots alllll over the mat.

oh ya and mustard does indeed stain grey leather seats.. Sierra fell asleep eating a burger, and we ended up with a bright yellow circle on the seat with two pickle hole cutouts in the middle of it. The mustard does however fade in time.. so thats a plus!

Anyways point is.. crap happens, we have kids, they are mom mobiles. Yes they are noticeable.. but eff em if they cant take a joke..

besides.. ( *looks around to be sure Josh isnt nearby) Josh was driving down the road when metal flew off another truck and slapped the 06 in the quarter. left a scrape/dent that makes ya ill..

so all I have to do is look over at his truck, and feel that much better bout mine
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I feel the same way on my DD. It's not nearly loaded, but man I hate the little ticks and nicks,mostly stupid things I do that cause some of them. Speaking of which it's about that time of year for me to acquire stupid things, dam tree and shrub trimming/hauling.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 02-16-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
redneckgirl

Now I have drove some beat-to-hell vehicles in my time, and it never bothered me...the 69 Impala was so rusted out, the quarters waved to ya in the breeze. I guess it's just because I have spent the last 13 years trying NOT to look like a soccer mom, that it irks me that my truck now looks like every other mom-taxi in the lot.... I tihnk it needs a lift Then I'd feel better
Old 02-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
truckdude239

all mine have battle scars sooo

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

dont feel bad Jacki.. mine decided to do its own thing this morning. was kinda entertaining honestly.

traction control was on cause it does that unless ya tell it not to

raining, not slick roads, normal wet conditions.

I stop at the intersection to cross the main 2 lane in town to get to the school. step on the gas and the truck thinks its lined up at the drags warmin up the tires... im still half asleep n think .. hurm.. wonder if theres oil or somethin on the road here... so i get traction n proceed across the road.

get to the next stop sign and go to turn left n the tires start spinning (mind you im 300 ft from the school entrance now) and me being me just went with it to see what wanted to break.. silly yukon thinks its the camaro or something and goes sideways into the lane, let off gas (had to stop to turn in school ) and went hurmmm this so isnt right but weee

there is a line going into the school, so i start edging in so someone will let me in line. a lady waves me across, traffic infront of me moves.. so i hit the gas. now mind you i TAPPED it,not even 1/4 pedal.. and guess what... the tires start spinning. now my kids are lookin at me like uhm why? the folks in line are lookin at me like uhm how? and im just lmao.. i hit traction control off at that time and the truck kicked it in fine. roll forward a few feet and stop waiting for the line to go and the rear sounds like it blows up.

daniel says, mom whys it sound like thunder is under the truck now? i said hell if i know, guess the traction control borked n somethin broke. so i let the kids out, proceed slowly out of the school parking lot (tc still off) and punch it at the stop sign turning right out of there. Truck grips fine, handles fine and acts right.

So I went got coffee called j asked him if he wanted anything n told him to take it to work n trade it in. hes like uhm why, so i laugh n tell him whats up, said but ill talk when i get home. left tc off came home and told him the whole story.

This is why I dislike computers that take control for you. Its kinda cool in certain situations, but its kinda freaky fun in others. Now could you imagine if it was Sabrina soccer mom driving.. shed prolly be balled up in the road crying AAA HELP ME AAA HEEELLLLPPP MEEEEEEE

ok, i had no reason for this post. just found my mom mobile to be entertaining today and decided to share
Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
66truckin

if it don't have an open bed I don't consider it a truck. I remember when I bought my 07 gmc sierra classic extended cab brand new me and my wife went to walmart and I parked as far back in the parking lot as I could to avoid any dings ect. We came out and sure enough there was a ding in the drivers door of the truck I just bought brand new the day before
66truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Oh, come on Liz! You could shriek real good as a soccer mom. Give it a shot. Heck the kids may find it more entertaining than parts falling of the Yukon.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

lol palf ill have to shriek in maggie n we will judge then.

there are lots of factors that make things a truck or not in my mind. but by going with just an open bed then panels burbs blazers etc are all cars.. i can not agree with that