The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
FAKKY

quieten inside of truck

So.
Havent driven the girl in a while. Took her out today with the wife and was all good except I was reminded of how loud it is in the cab - especially under throttle and worse when hitting bumps.

Part of the problem I think is all my windows are trash so there is a lot of rattle there - waiting on new seals and suck to reinstall. Obviously have sound matt on floor .... but honestly think its coming more from the doors than anything.

I know it will never sound like a new car - but what did you guys find made the biggest difference ??

I plan to put some sound barrier matt inside the doors when I redo the windows. Anything else ?
Old 01-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: quieten inside of truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
- waiting on new seals and suck to reinstall. Obviously have sound matt on floor ....
if you ordered the correct suck, it should suck all the noise out of your doors

sorry... this ogre needed a little chuckle today
i put sound matt inside the doors, cut into 4x4 and 6x6 squares
just stick it everywhere you can, it doesn't matter what it looks like
new window channel should help as will new door weather stripping

these trucks were never designed to be quiet, but do what you can to cut down noise
biggest noise ogre's truck has is exhaust and wind, stereo volume control handles both rather well

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
if you ordered the correct suck, it should suck all the noise out of your doors

sorry... this ogre needed a little chuckle today
i put sound matt inside the doors, cut into 4x4 and 6x6 squares
just stick it everywhere you can, it doesn't matter what it looks like
new window channel should help as will new door weather stripping

these trucks were never designed to be quiet, but do what you can to cut down noise
biggest noise ogre's truck has is exhaust and wind, stereo volume control handles both rather well
I was going to say I feel like we can control this suck if we work together ogre ..... but it just didnt feel right to put down in writing.

Yeah I figured as much - its also a panel truck if that makes any difference ..... but we actually both got out of the car and had the other drive it as we thought people staring due to noise ...... no car really sounds smooth and reasonably quiet (like a new truck) ...... so must have been my hair.

Hopefully with the new seals and windows and placing some sound deading materiali n doors - it will be enough Be hard to take a longer trip elsewise.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
joedoh

I wrote this for another guy and will just quote it here and add to it below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
there are three methods of sound intrusion, direct (air leaks) resonance (panel vibration) and reflected (hard surfaces).

adding an extra layer of deadening material usually isnt needed. asphalt and weighted sound deadening works by lowering resonance. resonance is sympathetic vibration. sound travels better through solids than through air, because of density. you dont "hear" the sound in a sealed cab directly, you hear the sound vibrating the panels of the cab and recreating the sound in the cab. there is a special frequency that takes the least amount of input vibration to create the loudest output sound, that frequency is called the resonant frequency, its usually in the speaking tones (100-4000hz) and that is why road noise is the most annoying, it can cancel out your speech or at least make it very hard to hear what someone is saying.

adding mass to the panel with asphalt or heavy padding lowers the resonant frequency significantly, usually it doesnt even take a complete coverage to half or even quarter the frequency. adding mass beyond that point isnt useless, it does serve to lower the resonant frequency even more, but the costs of extra layers and complexity of installing more make it a diminishing return. meaning if you half or quarter the noise on the first application, a second application may only half again the first half or quarter again the first quarter. lowering the resonant frequency means it will need much more input "power" to make the same amount of noise. ever bought a subwoofer amp? they are huge, because reproducing lower frequencies takes a lot more power than higher frequencies. it is the same with panel vibration. the more mass in the panel, the more power it takes to make it vibrate, the less vibration, the lower the noise.

people will often say " the doors shut more solidly with a THUD", but that is just a description of a heavier door shutting, it has nothing to do with the transmission of sound.

in my trucks I usually tackle the air leaks first, new door seals and window channels, and especially holes in the firewall. that takes care of direct sound intrusion. then I apply foil backed asphalt material to the floor and trans tunnel to dampen resonance, focusing on large flat panels, applying material to corners has no effect. then I apply a heavy jute to the floor under the carpet to take care of reflected sound. I can usually have a quiet conversation in the truck at highway speeds with just that amount of work.

by the way, mass adders are all the same, they add mass. fatmat and dynamat might have better glue, but they are still adhesive asphalt material. I use peel and seal from lowes, its about 16 dollars a roll.

in your truck you will have a resonance from riding in a tube, lots of reflected noise, so apply absorbers on the floor and walls. it will lower the resonant frequency and keep the reflections down.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
Tempest67

I found this stuff at Home Depot that is used for sealing skylights. (roofing section)

The black side is a rubberized tar like material that sticks really well.

The tin can sound that happened when closing the doors disappeared after applying a couple of strips of this stuff.
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
6DoF

i bought this stuff and plan to spray it inside the doors as well. never used it myself, but for the reviews and tech it seams to be a similar result with an easier application.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/liz-22031

6DoF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
Tempest67

I have not used this stuff, but for curved or difficult areas to get at, like cab corners, I think this stuff would work well..... and its cheap
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
sound mat inside the doors, cut into 4x4 and 6x6 squares.
....just stick it everywhere you can, it doesn't matter what it looks like
^^^This. I only put about a 1ft x 1ft square in the middle inside and it gets rid of a lot of noise.

Also, if you've got sound deadener inside did you put it on the toe board and up the inside firewall and also on the cab. rear wall? These also make a big difference.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I wrote this for another guy and will just quote it here and add to it below.

in your truck you will have a resonance from riding in a tube, lots of reflected noise, so apply absorbers on the floor and walls. it will lower the resonant frequency and keep the reflections down.

Butyl matt or MLV or both ?
Old 01-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
I found this stuff at Home Depot that is used for sealing skylights. (roofing section)

The black side is a rubberized tar like material that sticks really well.

The tin can sound that happened when closing the doors disappeared after applying a couple of strips of this stuff.
Interesting thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i bought this stuff and plan to spray it inside the doors as well. never used it myself, but for the reviews and tech it seams to be a similar result with an easier application.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/liz-22031

Thx never saw that - had been looking at

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B001URKV0G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
I have not used this stuff, but for curved or difficult areas to get at, like cab corners, I think this stuff would work well..... and its cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
^^^This. I only put about a 1ft x 1ft square in the middle inside and it gets rid of a lot of noise.

Also, if you've got sound deadener inside did you put it on the toe board and up the inside firewall and also on the cab. rear wall? These also make a big difference.
At the front I did it everywhere. From Tunnel all the way up to firewall top.
Havent done anything on the real of panel .... (behind seats) ... think I need to.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #11
_Ogre

panel... yeah. i remember a lot of noise coming from the back.
doors rattling, pops and creaks all over, like a big echo chamber
what ever stereo you had planned, go bigger, lots bigger

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #12
6DoF

so my plan is to use the LizardSkin spray on heat shield outside on the firewall and floor of the truck. then the sound deadener inside on the firewall and floor. basically keep heat from getting into the metal, then dampen any sound that gets to it.

but i also want to spray a lot more places with the sound deadener. inside the doors, inside back wall of the cab, some into the roof areas but also use it as my headliner over the entire roof skin. then under side of the hood, and engine bay side of the fender liners to try and keep the 6BT noises under there. though, i'll also be spraying the valve covers, tappet cover, oil pan, and a few patches on the block with that stuff too.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #13
FAKKY

Quote:
panel... yeah. i remember a lot of noise coming from the back.
doors rattling, pops and creaks all over, like a big echo chamber
what ever stereo you had planned, go bigger, lots bigger
Ha ha
Old 01-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #14
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
so my plan is to use the LizardSkin spray on heat shield outside on the firewall and floor of the truck. then the sound deadener inside on the firewall and floor. basically keep heat from getting into the metal, then dampen any sound that gets to it.

but i also want to spray a lot more places with the sound deadener. inside the doors, inside back wall of the cab, some into the roof areas but also use it as my headliner over the entire roof skin. then under side of the hood, and engine bay side of the fender liners to try and keep the 6BT noises under there. though, i'll also be spraying the valve covers, tappet cover, oil pan, and a few patches on the block with that stuff too.
Curious how you find it .......... how long till your driving ?
Old 01-26-2021, 10:57 PM   #15
28TudorAZ

I used this stuff from Lowes. Its in the roofing section. $15 a roll.
Attached Images

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #16
6DoF

Quote:
Curious how you find it .......... how long till your driving ?
that's the $10,000 question ... my goal is first test drive in the spring, but i'm sure i'll still be detailing long after.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #17
joedoh

Quote:
Butyl matt or MLV or both ?
mass is mass, which is heavier?

maybe my wall of text is off-putting, in simpler tl/dr terms

for air/wind noise add door seals and glass seals, seal firewall and floor holes.

for resonance, add mass to big flat pieces of sheet, like the inside of the door on the outside skin, or on large flat parts of the floor. weight is your goal, it takes more energy to move a heavier piece of the truck.

for reflected noise, add soft sound absorbing material. if you spray lizard skin or something similar, immediately stick some jute or even insulation bats on it, then make panels out of masonite and cover those with fabric or carpet over foam.

you have a lot of dead space in your as-ogre-said echo chamber, the best thing is to add mass to the flats then cover the sq footage with something soft.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #18
OutlawDrifter

When I did my carpet I went to joedoe for measurements and recommendations, I couldn't believe the difference the carpet/heavy jute made. russ has done enough of these he's got the formula down for a good driver.

My interior floor, firewall, trans tunnel, roof, and back wall all had fatmat rattletrap.

When I did the window channels, windlace, and door seals, I went in with the carpet/jute at the same time. On mine I did the back wall with the carpet/jute. It's like a new pickup...granted I still have some wind noise on the drivers door from it being sprung, but I can fix that.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:27 AM   #19
FAKKY

Thanks guys.
Finally got my seals from summit.
Will be redoing the windows, sealing off as much as I can at doors and panel .... see how it goes.
Then paint.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #20
lower50's

This is a before and after video I did when I built my truck with Lizard Skin.
https://youtu.be/GymwCS3Mxqo
All the butyl rubber, tar sheet, Dyna matt ect. is great to keep the sound out. But when I started driving my truck it was still loud inside with no head liner or carpet. Once the sound gets in it bounces around, the other thing I noticed is when I put in the carpet in the headliner and floor. Now there is stuff to absorb the sound. You can have a conversation now even with my big diesel under the hood.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually

Last edited by lower50's; 02-04-2021 at 10:01 PM.
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #21
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
This is a before and after video I did when I built my truck with Lizard Skin.
https://youtu.be/GymwCS3Mxqo
All the butyl rubber, tar sheet, Dyna matt ect. is great to keep the sound out. But when I started driving my truck it was still loud inside with no head liner or carpet. Once the sound gets in it bounces around, the other thing I noticed is when I put in the carpet in the headliner and floor. Now there is stuff to absorb the sound. You can have a conversation now even with my big diesel under the hood.
That is very interesting. I will have to do something in the cab of the 57 I am doing. I was thinking of fat mat on every area I can get to but the lizard skin seems to deaden things pretty good. Was it messy to spray? Steve
Old 02-05-2021, 05:18 PM   #22
lower50's

No not like paint, it splatters, so just make sure everything is masked off that you don't want it on. I cleans up easy with hot soapy water when it is still wet.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #23
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
No not like paint, it splatters, so just make sure everything is masked off that you don't want it on. I cleans up easy with hot soapy water when it is still wet.
Thank You. So it is probably like trunk splatter paint. Steve
Old 02-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #24
jwhotrod

lizard skin is one of the few things i have found thru the years that does what it says it does, installs the way the instructions say, and cleans up easily. i have sprayed it in my 35 Chevy and does a great job, especially the roof. it gets so hot in the sun, but the inside surface is cool to the touch. i will use it again, its great.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote