The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2002, 01:33 AM   #1
72'BBGMCSGCC

Question Body shop Restoration ?

I found someone to restore my truck,pull engine and do the front end work and everything(Ground Off). He's a friend of a friend and my friend says he's very honest,and the gentleman says he'll have to charge me by the hour because he doesn't want to loose money,but doesn't know how long it will take,but It would cost around $5-$6,000 and doesn't know how long it will take,but would be a while,which is fine because it's not my primary vehicle.He's doing one write now and it is gorgeous.Whats everyones advice?How do I get an estimate if he's telling me this.I don't want to give him the job and then when it's finished He gives me a bill for $10,000 Thank you everyone.
72'BBGMCSGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 01:47 AM   #2
colohusker

I haven't had any experience yet with it, but try to get written estimates for each subassembly, like how much to prep and coat the frame, engine, etc. and see if he will bill you as he goes instead of one lump sum at the end. That way you can see how fast the money is going in, and can have at least the illusion of being able to control it.

Scott

------------------
I say it's only money, my wife says it's only a truck....

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 01:52 AM   #3
72'BBGMCSGCC

Smile

Hi Colohusker, He did say he would start it for $1,500.Thank you
Old 05-22-2002, 05:43 AM   #4
mt Al

I've had a very negative experience with something like this, and I even had a fixed bid before it was started. GET REFERENCES. If he's really good, he'll have done several other vehicles. Find out how long it took, how much he charged and how things turned out. If he's got to replace all the cab corners, rockers and cab supports, he's going to rack up alot of hours. He should be able to tell you these things before he gets started. If he can't give you a bid, or even a "not to exceed" I would proceed with caution.

Why not get some other bids from other body men in the area, along with references for them as well? "Friends of friends" sometimes don't work out too well. If someone is good, they will be in high demand and will cost a bit more, but it will be worth it.

My 2 cents

------------------
'72 GMC 1/2T 4x4 pickup and
'72 GMC 3/4T 4x4 suburban.
(current)
past rides were: '70 Chev 2wd farm truck
'71 GMC 2wd 1/2T 402 nice!
'72 Chev 2wd 1/2T 396

'71 GMC 2wd 1/2T 402 nice!
'72 Chev 2wd 1/2T 396
'72 GMC 3/4T 4x4 2500 Super Custom suburban.

Bozeman, Montana
mt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 06:12 AM   #5
big71
Account Suspended

first of all i dony belive in tacking money untill i have done at least close to half or maybe in stagees like do all the sheetmetal first and then take just a part of it and then do all the body work and maybe take just a little bit then and then finshed the truck and take the rest

#1 Rule of thumb never pay a body man up front because they got you then i been doing this for 15 years and i dont take money first some time if the customer wants to shae/he can pay as we go i do work and they pay and i do more work and they pay but i go first not them he should take your truck and do at least the sheet metal first.

now you could buy the sheet metal and have it in your floorboard so he can get statred quicker that my 2 cents worth

------------------
"FOUNDER OF 47-72 BOWTIE CLUB OF THE CAROLINAS"
Yes my name is Tony AKAbig71 has a 1971 WITH 25 OPTIOS AND BIG 402 I live in jonesville NC

www.parduescustombodyshop.freeservers.com

JPARDUE1@TRIAD.RR.COM

www.47-72BowTieClubOfTheCarolinas.com

God Bless America

big71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:42 AM   #6
WB72
Before and After

I have had a few quotes for my Restoration, and two of them had mentioned that they can't give exact estamates like a new car that has been smashed. Because of the pricing of the parts are the only thing that stays constant. The tough part of doing restorations is that the old parts ar rusted and need more time to fiddle with to get them to fit propperly, and you never know when you may need extra parts or fasteners. The problem with the bodymen fixing your truck is that if they say they spent 100 hours on your truck, you have to believe them, becaues you weren't there, and new vehicles give a time to repair certain parts.

The best thing to do (IMO) is to get referances, they will tell you if they are happy with their work.

The choice of my restoration will be going to the company that will say that it will not exceed $6000. They have assured me, that the difference in a $5000 job and a $6000 job will be noticed on the final paint job, and it would be my decision.

------------------
Grandfathers 72 custom Deluxe 66,000 miles.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:58 AM   #7
dross

I got some estimates that were in the 6-7000
dollar range for the girlfreinds 70, so from that standpoint your guy is in th right ballpark. I agree with everyone on the get references. A guy is usually proud of the work he does and the people he worked for that are happy with his work will brag on him too. dave
dross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I hate to be the suspicious one here but not only get the references (at least 3) and go see the vehicle he restored for them...even take a ride in it with the owner if they will do that. Do no less than three inspections no matter if it takes ten references! Check with the Better Business Bureau in your state to see if any complaints have been filed against the guy. If he is legit...he will shine like a new penny! Then do all the stuff the others members mentioned...like doing the project in stages and purchasing parts yourself to reduce the burden on the guy. Are there others that work with him? Consult ebfabman...top notch guy on the board here that runs his own shop. He can really help you sort through the proper management of your project.

------------------
'67 C10 Long fleet w/wheezebag 305 and TH400
'67 C10 Short stepside w/283 and a powerglide
400 small block with the Weiand Tower of Power looking for a home!

'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:08 PM   #9
Tim Rich

For my 72 stepside, which was pretty solid, I used a guy that my Dad has known and trusted for 30+ years. He had done a number of 67-72's. We talked to that shop and one other we had confidence in and they both told us the same thing - we make our money on insurance jobs and we will work on your vehicle when we have time. They both keep one (only one) classic vehicle in their shops at all times for just that. If I wanted to be first in line ahead of the insurance jobs the price would be about $10,000. If I would wait and be patient, $2,500. I was patient. I provided the parts (except paint and a few minor items) and they did the work, including welding in inner and outer rockers, cab corners and lower door skins. They fixed every dent inside and outside of the bed, took it down to metal. We brought the bed home first and I finished and installed the bed wood. When we got the truck back, we put the bed back on, as well as the bumpers, seat, and got the wiring back in shape.

The guys at that shop really did a good job, and as they run across things that they thought needed replacing, such as door latches, they let us know.

------------------
Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA
72 Stepside
65 Must@ng
65 Must@ng
Tim Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 05:04 PM   #10
RAGIN68

I think that he should be able to put a max.cost on the job. If its turned over to him with no restraints then it could cost you no telling how much. Also a time frame should be agreed on or it may never get done.........

------------------
68GMC SWB Gound-up restoration,350/700R4/342.... 2002 3/4 HD for a daily driver. Can't get away from the GMs

Old 05-23-2002, 07:14 AM   #11
72'BBGMCSGCC

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone, I'll talk with him one more time and if he isn't willing to give me a price or give me straight answers I'm not going to have him restore my truck.I'll let you all know.Thank you.