The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 AM   #251
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Hydroboost Mounting Plates

1. if you want to mount the assembly correctly and solidly, yes you will need both a booster bracket and a hydroboost mounting plate.

2. You will need the socket if you source a used hydroboost that is recessed into the factory mounting bracket, or if you do not have a crescent wrench large enough to fit the nut.

3. All factory hydroboost units that I have sen, have an eye at the end of the pushrod. This will need to be cut off and the rod either threaded to accommodate a coupling nut, or an extension welded to the pushrod to reach your brake pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Hey Captain - Back with a new project.

I'm working on a 72' C10 that is currently power disc/drum, but I'll be converting to disc/disc.

I'd like to run a hydroboost. I have a few questions for you and folks who have done this.

1. My understanding is I'd need your booster adaptor and hydroboost adapter.
2. Would I need the socket, assuming I buy a new hydroboost? I'm assuming yes, to mount it to the new bracket at least.
3. Do we know if modifications to the pushrod are needed with the adaptor/hydro-plate to reach the brake pedal, or do they typically have enough adjustment?

Thanks all!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #252
Hammered 77

Subscribed
Hammered 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #253
Campbel45

Hey Captainfab,

A couple of questions for you..

#1 - Do you know I your booster bracket and plate will work with 67-72 C40-70 medium duty model trucks? I assume they would since the cabs are very similar.

#2 - Do you know if your booster bracket and plate will work with hydromax systems?
Campbel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #254
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

My booster bracket will work as long as the pedal bracket is the same as the '67-'72 C/K10,20 &30. I do know that on the '60-'66 medium duty trucks the pedal bracket is the same unless it is setup for air brakes

From what I have seen online of the hydromax, no it will not work. The hydromax is completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbel45 View Post
Hey Captainfab,

A couple of questions for you..

#1 - Do you know I your booster bracket and plate will work with 67-72 C40-70 medium duty model trucks? I assume they would since the cabs are very similar.

#2 - Do you know if your booster bracket and plate will work with hydromax systems?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #255
derail

I just wanted to bump this and say that I ordered the plate and bracket on thursday and it was on my doorstep monday. It's great when someone takes your business seriously. I don't post a lot here but I'll be sure to post a picture or two when I get this hydro boost project finished.
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 PM   #256
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thank you for the compliment and the purchase

I look forward to seeing the pics you post.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #257
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Bump.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 AM   #258
DonLeverton

An awful lot to read here, but I haven't seen anything about brake pedal ratios.

I have seen a post on this message board about a guy that cut off a second pedal arm and used it as a "bellcrank" to maintain the the correct pushrod angle.

I'm going to be using a reman hydroboost from an 85 C30.
The two bolts on the plate that it is mounted to seem to be a direct fit to the firewall. See attached image.
Now I have found your "adapter plates".

My 1966 GMC was manual drum brake, which had a higher pedal ratio than what you should have for "power brakes"

Does your kit include provisions / instructions for re-drilling the pedal and moving the pushrod lower? Do you use the OEM 1966 pushrod?

I want to get this right the first time, and everyone says that you are the guy to talk to.
Attached Images

DonLeverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #259
DonLeverton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I haven't done one myself yet, but I have looked at several. They're really not that hard to plumb. There are a few places that sell either ready made SS braided hose sets, or you can piece your own together. I'll make sure you find what you need to complete your install.
Here’s some bling with a purpose!
PSC makes a hydroboost reservoir that filters and “calms” the fluid by settling out the aeration. JEGS/Summit makes a chrome remote pump reservoir with an AN12 (if I recall correctly?) return fitting.
What you see on that PSC can right now are braided - covered rubber hose with barbed fittings and hose clamp covers. I will be replacing them with “real” PTFE hose and hose ends.
Every fitting on my steering box, pump, and hydroboost is 45* flare fittings, so it’s just a matter of using adapters (from JEGS) to convert them to AN.
I’m hoping it will look “pro” when I get it all assembled
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #260
DonLeverton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLeverton View Post
Here’s some bling with a purpose!
PSC makes a hydroboost reservoir that filters and “calms” the fluid by settling out the aeration. JEGS/Summit makes a chrome remote pump reservoir with an AN12 (if I recall correctly?) return fitting.
What you see on that PSC can right now are braided - covered rubber hose with barbed fittings and hose clamp covers. I will be replacing them with “real” PTFE hose and hose ends.
Every fitting on my steering box, pump, and hydroboost is 45* flare fittings, so it’s just a matter of using adapters (from JEGS) to convert them to AN.
I’m hoping it will look “pro” when I get it all assembled
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #261
slammed57

so to run a hydroboost you need this filter/can as well? is this correct?
Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #262
DonLeverton

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed57 View Post
so to run a hydroboost you need this filter/can as well? is this correct?
Well not really NEEDED, but I want to hear supercharger whine, not power steering pump whine. 😂

Air in the ps pump as a result of agitation from the fluid returning directly to the pump is what causes the whining.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #263
slammed57

Quote:
Well not really NEEDED, but I want to hear supercharger whine, not power steering pump whine. 😂

Air in the ps pump as a result of agitation from the fluid returning directly to the pump is what causes the whining.
ahhh gotcha, lol thanks bud
Old 01-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #264
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry but I do not have any instructions for installing a hydroboost. I simply have not had time with working 80hrs/7 days a week every week every month.

Most people do p[refer to drill a mounting hole in the brake pedal 1" down from the original manual brake pushrod mounting hole.

I do recommend cutting both the original pushrod and the hydroboost pushrod and welding them together at the correct length. This will allow you to have some adjustment. It can also be done with aftermarket brake pushrods or just off the shelf parts to fabricate your own.

Yes my booster bracket does mount your booster/master assembly correctly and solidly using the mounting holes that GM engineers provided to attach directly to the pedal bracket on the inside. No drilling extra holes in the firewall that may or may not come out on the inside in an ideal location.

Quote:
An awful lot to read here, but I haven't seen anything about brake pedal ratios.

I have seen a post on this message board about a guy that cut off a second pedal arm and used it as a "bellcrank" to maintain the the correct pushrod angle.

I'm going to be using a reman hydroboost from an 85 C30.
The two bolts on the plate that it is mounted to seem to be a direct fit to the firewall. See attached image.
Now I have found your "adapter plates".

My 1966 GMC was manual drum brake, which had a higher pedal ratio than what you should have for "power brakes"

Does your kit include provisions / instructions for re-drilling the pedal and moving the pushrod lower? Do you use the OEM 1966 pushrod?

I want to get this right the first time, and everyone says that you are the guy to talk to.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #265
63C20Rat

Hey , I just wanted to see or know what you guys are running for the MC ... part #s would be even better... I’m running disc/disc, I’m trying to get some options together and pick the best! Also can I put my line lock in this too
63C20Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #266
derail

I finished this project a while back. The bracket was perfect. I'll list some parts in hopes of helping someone down the road. I used a used booster from a 1996 astro van at pick-n-pull. I made my own pushrod from allthread and misc. that I picked up at ace hardware. I had a vacuum booster previously and moved the pushrod back into the original hole on the pedal arm. I decided to go with a pump with dual returns after reading some reviews about "t-ing" the line. I figured I've came this far, might as well go all the way. The pump and master cylinder came from autozone. The pump is Endurance #7068. The master is Duralast NM1863. This master is for a disc/drum setup. Both of these are from a 1982 gmc 3/4 ton suburban with a diesel engine. I used some misc. fittings to convert to AN fittings from summit. Everything went together well and I'm absolutely happy with how the brakes feel now. They've never felt this good. The one hiccup I had was the new pump is a press on pulley and my old one was a keyway. No big deal. I wouldn't have attempted this without captain fab's bracket and all the info on this thread. Appreciate it.
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #267
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the feedback and the parts info.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #268
1971gophercatcher

I am currently converting my Power Front Disc Rear Drum brakes to hydroboost on my 71 Cheyenne Super. I pulled a hydroboost off a Astro Van. My question is do I need a Proportioning Valve for this new setup?

I am replacing the master cylinder and power steering pump. (Going new on these that would go on 1982 3/4 ton suburban diesel)

Thanks a ton in advance.
1971gophercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #269
DonLeverton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971gophercatcher View Post
I am currently converting my Power Front Disc Rear Drum brakes to hydroboost on my 71 Cheyenne Super. I pulled a hydroboost off a Astro Van. My question is do I need a Proportioning Valve for this new setup?

I am replacing the master cylinder and power steering pump. (Going new on these that would go on 1982 3/4 ton suburban diesel)

Thanks a ton in advance.
If I understand you correctly, you had a vacuum booster that was in working order previously?
The way that I understand it, you need a dual master cylinder and a proportioning valve from any disc front / drum rear braking system.
I used a proportioning valve, formed steel brake lines, and mounting bracket from an Astro Van. I like it because it’s neat and compact.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #270
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes you still need a proportioning valve with a hydroboost just as you do with a vacuum booster. You should be able to use the same one you had with the vacuum booster.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:02 AM   #271
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Just sent you an email .... I bought the booster bracket from you back in 2011 and was using the OEM plate from the donor truck.... Well the other day I ruined the little anti-rotation tab during disassembly.... so I need a replacement plate...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #272
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I replied to your email.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #273
Blue hauler

Have you ever had someone use your hydro boost brackets on a square body truck?
Thank you!
Blue hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #274
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Not that I know of, but not everyone tells me what they are doing. There is really no need to use one of my hydroboost mounting plates on a squarebody since the squarebodies were available with hydroboost from the factory. All you need is a hydroboost for a squarebody truck and it'll bolt right up to the factory mounting holes. Additionally using one of these mounting plates will not mount the hydroboost to a squarebody firewall correctly and without modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue hauler View Post
Have you ever had someone use your hydro boost brackets on a square body truck?
Thank you!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #275
Blue hauler

Thank you for the info!
Blue hauler is offline   Reply With Quote