The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
sacto67

73-87 C10 Complete Swap to 67-72 C10

Here is the plan, I've got my 68 base truck with a 292 I6, drums, 3 on the tree, -power steering, -power brakes, and 6 lug bolt pattern. It is going to be my daily driver so I'd like to upgrade everything above to a V8, discs, auto, +power steering, +power brakes, and 5 lug bolt pattern.

Now, I'm on a budget and from what I've seen the complete front subframe from the 73-87 C10's will fit my 68 with slight mods. So is it possible for me to save time/money by purchasing a complete and running 73-87 C10 with all of the options I want to upgrade and swap it all into my 68?

If this is possible and a thread listing the processes for each would help the forum members I'd like to start a "Complete Swap" thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=483462
sacto67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
dyrt

Re: 73-87 C10 Complete Swap to 67-72 C10

HOwdy,

First of all, don't take this the wrong way, but this topic has been beaten to death, so expect the usual "do a search" answers for much of this swap. In all fairness, this swap has been done quite a few times, has been outlined in several threads, and there is not much more to it than swapping in another 68 clip. If you unbolt the whole suspension from your 68, you can literally roll the newer one in and bolt it in. However, there are two bolt holes that (may)need to be slightly egged with a file, and 2 bolt holes that need to be drilled. All other bolt holes line up just fine.

You can also put the later arms on your current clip and then all the steering components from the later truck will obviously go right on from there. When i did it, i used the best mix of free parts i had and it all went together just fine after i drilled and egged the holes i mentioned.

In all honesty, i would just replace the whole clip as is, and keep in mind that you need to use all of the later steering parts and center link. Someone else will have to chime in and let you know if the steering box will bolt right on a 68; i think it does. It's easy enough to just put it up to the spot and the question will be answered pretty quickly.

As far at the v8 is concerned, some people swap later motor mount brackets in but i am using original 69 v8 brackets and mounts for my swap. If you search on that topic you will find a few options. Also, if i recall correctly, you can adapt the later power brake booster to your firewall with a few cuts and drilled holes, but once again, give it a search and see what you find. I may be mistaken and you may need the correct year bracket.

As far as 5-lug in the rear, you can find another rear to bolt in or just buy axles. pretty straight forward there.

Having said all that, a thread with really good pictures and detailed steps would be a nice resource, so if you are thinking of doing that, i say go for it!

Good luck!

Mike
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
sacto67

Thanks for the info. No offense taken, I figured I'd get a "do a search". I did, and as you said there are MANY threads on the topic. I guess I was more into doing a complete thread with links/info for the whole thing so anyone thinking about buying a complete running truck to swap it all over would have a good resource without having to search through hundreds of posts on the same topic.

If this type of thread has already been done I didn't find it and we can just kill this thread if it's been done. Thanks again.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=483462

Last edited by sacto67; 10-15-2011 at 03:38 PM.
sacto67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You are correct,... this topic has been discussed alot.
Do alot of reading and research before you start and there should be no surprises.
When you start your project take a ton of pics and document your entire swap.

It would be great to have a future thread (just like you described) for our FAQ section.
Then start a new thread describing the entire process and all the problems you encounter.

Welcome to the board!
Looking forward to your progress.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
dyrt

I would also take a look through the FAQ section also if you didn't. I know i have seen many pictures of different parts of the swap but not a complete faq thread on it.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
madmack

Sacto67 - I have a 68 c10 that I am looking to do almost the same thing. The only difference is I'm not going to switch to 5 bolt lugs. I don't want to change the back too so I will stick with a 6 bolt with disc in front and drum in back....at least I hope I can do that.
I hope you decide to do the full thread with step by step instructions and pictures. Good luck!
madmack is offline   Reply With Quote